Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to put this here because it's related to the camaro. I emailed a local dealer and talked to th e fleet/internet sales manager and she mentioned this

Well you were correct about one thing. We have not received the MSRP on the Camaro yet. The good thing is that is is against the law to charge over MSRP, alot of people are under the impression that we like to do that but in fact we can not. The ONLY reason a price would go over is if you add extra features to the car or get special warranty's.
Soooooooooo what's up with the GT500 being sold extremly over MSRP? Are they idiots for allowing the dealer to charge them illegally or is this manager got her facts twisted?

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
It's not against the law to charge over MSRP for anything. It's a SUGGESTED retail price..not a PRICE LIMIT.
Not just cars get charged for over MSRP.
I've seen computer parts charged over MSRP..videogames charged over MSRP(when it went out of production..I saw Battle Realms: Winter of the Wolf on sale for $80..it was a $30 game)..firearms charged over MSRP..the list goes on and on.

Goes to show the smarts of dealers.

As a example store..Best Buy thrives on charging over MSRP for most things.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Someone should fire that lady.
I can't even fathom why she says that. On the sticker it says the MSRP..and then the special market price or whatever.

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Yeah, she's got it all backwards.

What's illegal is a car company telling a dealer how much to sell a car for.

As said, MSRP = Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price.
It's just the price they suggest selling the car for, however the final selling price is entirely the dealer's decision.
A dealer can sell a car for 1¢ or $50,000,000 and nobody can stop them from doing it.

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
She may have been trying to lure you in and just as you trust what she says, she charges you an extreme amount over msrp and laughs ha ha ha ha sucker.

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
I use to see the adjusted market value line of crap. I was with a friend once and he asked me what that stood for in front of a salesman. I told him that was the dealers way of jacking up the price and you never should pay it. The salesman didn't like me after that.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I had a salesman do me the other way. He told me that GM strictly controlled pricing and it was illegal for him to haggle over price. :rolleyes:

Salesman: "I can't go lower than MSRP, GM won't let us do that anymore, but I can lower your monthly payments by stretching it out over 6 years."

Me: "Yeah, nevermind then."

They're gonna have a field day come January '09.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
You think that's rape. The dealer in town is GETTING $50K for the "California Special Edition" Shelby's. The one that looks like a Shelby KIND OF from the outside, has Shelby badging, but is just a plain ol' GT with leather seats and a spoiler delete. He's sold a white w/ silver stripes and a black w/ silver stripes version at that price.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I had a salesman do me the other way. He told me that GM strictly controlled pricing and it was illegal for him to haggle over price. :rolleyes:

Salesman: "I can't go lower than MSRP, GM won't let us do that anymore, but I can lower your monthly payments by stretching it out over 6 years."

Me: "Yeah, nevermind then."

They're gonna have a field day come January '09.

Should have told them that you have heard from GM that that isn't true.

Cause we have had NUMEROUS 'markup' threads, and one someone contacted GM about it and they were like "noooooooope".

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You think that's rape. The dealer in town is GETTING $50K for the "California Special Edition" Shelby's. The one that looks like a Shelby KIND OF from the outside, has Shelby badging, but is just a plain ol' GT with leather seats and a spoiler delete. He's sold a white w/ silver stripes and a black w/ silver stripes version at that price.
lol @ california edition

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
The california edition GT is the most uselessly overpriced package ever. To me, it mostly DOWNGRADES the look of the vehicle...white only..no spoiler.......bleh, they should be paying the customer to get it ;).

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
They go for high 30s here in a small back water town. Is that the way the dealership owner ensure that people not move the car he wants? Because he's got it. Its just a GT with appearance package, shelby's name on it, and a FRPP catalog thrown at it minus the cool and big power stuff like the FRPP whipple supercharger. Basically a overpriced bolt-on GT.

I know some people will pay a crap load over MSRP just get a something they strongly want. I can understand that to a degree, like SSR, Z06, 2005 mustang GTs. But for that, they are retarded. Even paying that for a GT500 is beyond my understanding.

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
If it were illegal I am sure they would put it on the sticker like this:

When I see this price :rotflmao:

can someone get the number to that greedy dealer and tel lthem to shove that 65K up thier collective behinds....

My god and you wonder why people are buying Toyotas Scions and think they are getting awsome performance cars...WAKE UP!!

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I actually saw a MSN.com comparison of 3 "sport cars" under $22,000. It was like the Scion tC or whatever it is..a honda civic..and some other foreign non-sportcar.

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
This is the USA, dealers can ask what they want. If buyers weren't paying those marked up prices, they wouldn't be doing it :cool:

it's like the people who get mad at ebay sellers when little NOS Camaro/Corvette parts sell for hundreds of dollars when replacement parts sell all day long for under $20.00 - blame the buyers, not the sellers :D

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
can someone get the number to that greedy dealer and tel lthem to shove that 65K up thier collective behinds....

My god and you wonder why people are buying Toyotas Scions and think they are getting awsome performance cars...WAKE UP!!
+1 on that. Like I like to say, some people have more money than they have cents.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.