Modern Camaro Forums banner

I'm afraid I might have a lemon

6K views 35 replies 19 participants last post by  hotrodhoodrat 
#1 ·
I am so sick about this because I LOVE my Camaro but when I picked it up from the dealer brand new in Feb. we discovered that the air conditioner didn't blow cold air. Was a bad compressor. Took it in and they replaced it. A couple days later it stopped working again. We took it back and they kept it for 5 days, put in a new compressor. Today while driving to work it stopped blowing cold and started making noise again. The Virginia law states if it is in the shop 3 or more times for the same thing and it is a brand new car, then it is considered a lemon. I don't know what to do. I have done mods and spent a lot of money on this car and really don't want to give it back but I may have to. I called the dealership and they want me to bring it back first thing Monday morning. They have one more chance to fix it, then I am asking for my money back. Has anyone else had this problem?

#2 ·
I'd try another dealer, and contact Chevrolet. Keep all your paperwork.

#8 ·
I would assume it isn't the compressor itself since it has been replaced 3 times. I would try another dealership that is willing to look deeper into the problem instead of replacing the same part over and over.

I also would not consider your car a Lemon car. It is one problem, its not like the whole car is falling apart one part breaking right after another. I'm sure if someone looked further into it they would find why it keeps going up.

Good Luck to you, keep your car if you Love it!

#12 ·
Sorry, I missed that part in your original post. So there never was any question then.

I would hate to give my car back, too. I think I would try another dealer and see if someone else can resolve the issue before the end of the 18 months is up. Since it's not multiple things wrong, if they can fix it once and for all, that would be acceptable to me.

#13 ·
it was stated before to make sure you contact GM about this. not sure if it works the same in the states as it does here in canada, but you should be getting survey's emailed to you from GM every time your car goes in for service at this dealership, when you get the survey, fill it out and use the comment space to talk about these problems that you've been having. i found out that people do actually read these survey's. i kind of, maybe, sorta ranted to GM bout my peeling paint issue and low and behold i got contacted to make sure it got fixed to my standards, and was given a direct contact line should i ever run into these problems again

#14 ·
Thanks Kitty. I will give that a try. I am going to take it back to a dealer tomorrow and talk to them. I will give them one more chance to fix it. I really don't want to give it back after adding an SLP Loudmouth exhaust and some cosmetic mods. My money would be lost and I really do love this car.

#15 ·
p.s. I've had this car less than 2 months and it has been in the shop for at least two of those weeks total, and now it has to go back again. I just want to be able to drive it!

#16 ·
If it does turn out to be a "lemon" request a new car, and have them install any parts you have put on. Be firm on what exactly you want

#18 ·
Well, I took her back in Monday and expressed my concerns. They offerred to replace every component of the AC system, make SURE it is fixed, give me a check for 2 months of car payments, and add a year to my warranty. I agreed to it with the understanding that if it fails again, I definately want my money back. We'll see. They told me they may have it for a while. They gave me a loaner car. NOT a Camaro though.

#19 ·
well, that's good news. sounds like they are trying their hardest to make it right. i know it sucks to have your car in the shop so much, but hopefully, they get it fixed and alll will be right in the universe :thumbsup:

often times i judge companies not by how they do things right, but how they fix things that go wrong. this is something i learned when i worked at the ritz-carlton. mistakes offer opportunities to go above and beyond a customer's expectations. let's hope they come through for ya ;)

#22 ·
ac help

If they replaced compressor, look on your paperwork to make sure they reprogrammed the controller.

This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIC5206A.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment of poor AC performance. Further inspection by the technician will show that when the vehicle is running, the AC compressor clutch is engaged; high and low side AC pressures are close in pressure. This may be due to a broken AC compressor clutch/pulley shaft.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Start the engine and verify the AC pressures for both the high and low side are close in pressure. If so and AC performance is poor, inspect the AC compressor for a broken AC compressor clutch/pulley shaft. If found to be broken, replace the compressor with current SPO stock. Be sure to reprogram the Remote Heater and Air Condition Control Module with the latest calibration in TIS2WEB that states New calibration to prevent evaporator freeze.

Here is another bulletin:

#PIC5220A: Reduced Or No Air From HVAC Vents - AC Blows Warm - keywords conditioning evap high inop inoperative low performance poor temperature warm - (Jun 3, 2010)

Subject: Reduced or No Air From HVAC Vents - AC Blows Warm

Models: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to add reference to information in latest version of Service Update 09207. Pleasew discard PIC5220.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment that the blower produces little to no air flow through the HVAC vents with the AC on. This concern typically occurs during extended highway drive times. This may be caused by an evaporator freeze condition.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Reference the latest revision of Service Update 09207 and follow the repair procedure in the section titled: "Reprogram HVAC Module (All Vehicles)." For all vehicles with suspected AC evaporator freeze condition, reprogram the Remote Heater and Air Condition Control Module with the latest calibration in TIS2WEB that states "New calibration to prevent evaporator freeze".

Check for signs of the compressor overheating. This can be identified by inspecting the label on the AC compressor itself. If the AC compressor experienced an overheat condition, the label on the compressor will have air bubbles underneath the label lifting it from the compressor. If this is found, replace the AC Compressor and flush the AC system.

Those are the only bulletins I could find.. Might have been overlooked by your service center.
Bill

#23 ·
Julz I hope they can fix this issue for you. Also hopefully you can use those payments toward putting more parts on your car or another car if it does happen again. I can totally understand getting attached to your car. I almost licked mine when I found it. Oh and nice color choice! ;-)

#26 ·
No. Not till I called them a few days ago to see what in the world was going on. They said everything was installed and the air conditioner works just fine but they were waiting for the new windshield to be delivered. I told my husband that and he got really mad thinking they broke it, so I called back and they said they had to take it out to replace all the AC components and they are a "one use only" windshield so they had to order another one. I swear I think they hate us because we always are mad and have so many questions but I don't care! I just want my car back! And have everything work on it! My husband says he is going to go over it with a fine tooth comb before we accept it back.

#27 ·
Hope U get her back soon... Just Remember U paid a lot of $$ for her and Ur their Customer and U have every right to ask as many Questions as U need to ask and when it's all done and Ur not Completely Happy, tell them to fix what ever needs to be. Then if U feel Ur getting the Run Around or R not completely Satisfied, tell them U want to talk to the General MGR, I'm sure everything will be taken care of then... Good Luck and Hope U don't have to go through all that!!!! By the way, Happy Easter!!

#29 ·
UPDATE!! I got her back on Monday and so far everything is working fine. It is sooo good to have her back. Chevy gave me a check for 2 car payments and I go in on Friday to sign the papers to extend my warranty to 5 years, 60,000 miles. Not bad as long as everything stays working on her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.