Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been keeping abreast of the happenings-on at GM since the bankruptcy, and it sounds like they're taking baby steps in the right direction. That obviously is a good thing, I don't know why it couldn't be done sooner, but better late than never, I suppose. I could point to GM's plan of refreshing the Camaro in 2014 as something that gives me a little hope that they're in it to stay.

But now I'm conflicted. I'm starting to believe in GM again, and I've been going to the local Chevy dealerships, sitting in the Camaros in the showroom, and the interior is growing on me. The blind spot at the C-pillars must be designed to kill people (the backup assist that I keep hearing about should be standard equipment), the steering wheel needs work (the 2010 Mustang's steering wheel is better), and it really, really needs a proper nav system, but the seats are nice, the controls are well-laid out, and the stereo sounds good. I'd give it a :thumbsup: out of :cool:.

But here's the thing. I might have the job and the funds to buy a new car next year, and next year, Ford's going to offer a Mustang their new 5.0-liter "Coyote" motor that should pump out about 400 horsepower. Combine that with the Mustang's lower curb weight, and it should go toe-to-toe with the Camaro. Competition is good, I guess, but I'm going back and forth now. Mustang, Camaro, Mustang, Camaro... which one? I know that you guys are biased towards the Bow Tie Brigade, but I'd like a little guidance.

In the meantime, one of my most anticipated video games, Forza Motorsport 3, is going to have the 2010 Camaro, so I can fiddle around with a virtual version of the car while I reach for my goals... :cool:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hi, And welcome. I will try not to sound too biased.
$ 4 $ you get more for your money when buying the Camaro vs the Stang.....currently it is several 1000 less for the same amount of HP.
Dollar wise the Camaro is less expensive per HP. Hopefully that will sound about right:lol:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, And welcome. I will try not to sound too biased.
$ 4 $ you get more for your money when buying the Camaro vs the Stang.....currently it is several 1000 less for the same amount of HP.
Dollar wise the Camaro is less expensive per HP. Hopefully that will sound about right:lol:
Yeah, I know, but that's probably going to change when the Mustang gets its new motor. I'm just torn. I'm going to my Latemodel Restoration Supply wishlist, deleting my Mustang items and putting in Camaro items, deleting the Camaro items and putting in Mustang items, and so on and so on.

It's going to be a pain when I finally have to choose. :(

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hopefully the camaro will shed some pounds by next year(which i doubt) and the mustang will gain some
Well, Corsa claims that their exhaust weighs about 14 pounds less than the stock exhaust. That's a start.:cool:

·
Registered
402 Posts
After reading your posts, it seems that it may simply come down to a coin toss. As it stands today, the Camaro is here "in the flesh", and the Mustang with the new engine isn't. Even with the new engine and the current "track-pak", will the Mustang match the performance of the current Camaro SS? Heck, the currrent Camaro SS gives the Mustang GT500 a run for it's money, and you're saving between $10-15,000. That's a lot of money for mods that'll make the Camaro run circles around the GT500.

It is my opinion that the Camaro offers a sound foundation for building the car of your dreams and desires. Next time you're at one of your local dealers, take it out for a test drive. You'll be hooked for sure! ;)

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts
Get a :bowtie_gold: :black5thburn: Its the right thing to do :patriot:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After reading your posts, it seems that it may simply come down to a coin toss. As it stands today, the Camaro is here "in the flesh", and the Mustang with the new engine isn't. Even with the new engine and the current "track-pak", will the Mustang match the performance of the current Camaro SS? Heck, the currrent Camaro SS gives the Mustang GT500 a run for it's money, and you're saving between $10-15,000. That's a lot of money for mods that'll make the Camaro run circles around the GT500.

It is my opinion that the Camaro offers a sound foundation for building the car of your dreams and desires. Next time you're at one of your local dealers, take it out for a test drive. You'll be hooked for sure! ;)
It'll be tough, but I'll see if I can find a dealer that can let me try one. I've already tried a 2010 V6 Mustang, and it was good. I'll see about the Camaro...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yeah, I know. A lot of dealers are treating them as if they're precious gold, and not letting many people test drive them. I just tell them, "Who buys a car without test driving it?" Plus, deep down salesmen want to take one out anyway. If it's not a pre-ordered one, you should have no problem. If you thought the V6 Mustang was good, just wait! ;) I swear you might buy it on the spot! Happy hunting!

·
Registered
3,900 Posts

I still stand by my belief that the Mustang with the new engine will gain a good bit of weight to go with the upgrade.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I see you are back again to annoy us. The respite was nice while it lasted.

·
Registered
180 Posts
well im not biased. Im a dodge man at heart but $40K for SRT8 was too much.. I had an order for a 2010 Mustang GT but cancel cuz dealer change mind when came time to pick up car about puttin warrenty covered supercharger on for me (FRPP Super Pack 400) so I looked at camaro.
Thinking of new 2011 coyote mustang makes it a tough decission but I would say go Camaro for one reason. Yes they will be about even in the straight line and yes with track pack mustang does handle better but the new motor has a 11:1 CR and mustangs usually don't get too much power for exhaust and intake so there wont be much u can do upgrades wise with that motor. If they do decide to put supercharger out. without lowering CR you wont be able to boost over 6psi..
Intake, headers, exhaust camaros getting 60HP then add ported heads or supercharger or talking 150HP over stock. all on stock bottom end..
I cant speculate on how much HP mustang new engine can handle but the current 4.6 is only safetly good for 450wHP seen a couple of 525wHP but people say at those level motor going to go fast..

So if you didnt read I say pick Camaro.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I still stand by my belief that the Mustang with the new engine will gain a good bit of weight to go with the upgrade.
Well, I did hear that the Mustang will get a pair of six-speed transmissions to go with the new motor- the 6-speed auto from the Explorer Sport Trac and the Tremec TR-6060 in the GT500, Camaro SS and Challenger, so that extra cog has to add a few pounds... does anyone know the weights of the TR-6060 and the TR-3650 (the current 5-speed manual in the Mustang)?

I see you are back again to annoy us. The respite was nice while it lasted.
Well, I tend to panic when faced with uncertainty. I'm sorry about that. Hug? :eek:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Horsepower

Dude, if its horsepower you want Buy the Vette. If you are comparing Camaro to Mustang. Stop that. There's no comparison. Question is, are you a Chevy man or a Ford man. Answer that one and you'll know what to do.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Dude, if its horsepower you want Buy the Vette. If you are comparing Camaro to Mustang. Stop that. There's no comparison. Question is, are you a Chevy man or a Ford man. Answer that one and you'll know what to do.
im more a ford man.. but think the camaro is a better car and better looking right now..

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
ford ruined the look of the Mustang this year so it's a no brainer duh
Yeah, I saw a 2010 Mustang convertible on the road last weekend and you aren't kidding, it doesn't look near as mean as the previous year's model. What possessed Ford to soften the lines on that car?:confused:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts