Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a mustang guy for years and after seeing the new Camaro that they will be releasing next year I am all over it.

I just want some advice on what engine to go with.Obviouslly it will be a battle of the V8's.I want to put some money into the engine and the outside of the car but right now my focus is on the engine.I would like to get it up to about 550-600hp.

What engine will be easier to upgrade?
What should I be looking at in the way of upgrades to get me there and where are the best places (I live in London,Ontario,Canada)to buy the new parts.

Also how will this affect my warrenty?
Can I order the upgraded engine?Like the one in the new Vette's.

Also what should I do to upgrade the Chasis/frame.

Anyways my goal is lot's of horsepower and a chasis that will hold together.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
hello and welcome im not sure what the canada car will be getting upgrade wise..

i think the ls3 will be easier to upgrade imo

to get 550+ i think it will take heads, cams, supercharger, and maybe more

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a bit of an investment.

If u have any suggestions as to what supercharger,heads and Cam would be good to put in I would appreciate the insight.

I also wouold have to upgrade the chassis and would appreciate a little insight there as well.

I also love the Vette's but having 2 kids makes the vette not an option.I want to get the poser the vette has in the camaro....and I know it's possible so I would be willing to pay the extra cash to have it done....Well not just done but done right.

Last thing is if anybody has some good lines on a good body kit or anything else to make the outside of my future car stand out I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
headers, cam, exhaust, supercharger, intercooler, performance tune.... those definately

possibly:

pistons, crank Fuel pump, oil pump, spark plugs, etc. etc.

·
Registered
347 Posts
btw seeing as that the car has not been made yet there are no mods.... period interior exterior or performance.... just so you know... so no one can tell you any of your requested information.... sorry

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
btw seeing as that the car has not been made yet there are no mods.... period interior exterior or performance.... just so you know... so no one can tell you any of your requested information.... sorry
the corvette has the exact same motor! so there are mods avail.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
Are you wanting 550rwhp?

Because 550 engine hp will be easy and cheap. BTW GM egnines tend to be rated lower than there output compared to Ford's engines. So 400+ really means 400+ with Chevy.

Just take a look at what the Vettes are making with headers, intake and a tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tptNYNgRbNA
416 rwhp LS3
vararam intake,dynatek headers,borla sport exhaust,tune

465 rwhp
stock heads, ported intake and tb, vara ram, cam, long tubes, stock catback with open baffles, hp tuners
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UODGBOcUM4

2008 C6 Corvette LS3 Auto 418 RWHP with the Vortex Ram Induction System and custom Dyno tuning by Breathless Performance Products.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jfSle2FKis&feature=related

542 engine hp LS3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2K7ZlTvaYk

498 rwhp Cam + boltons, Bolt on mods are, LG Headers, Vararam (cold air intake) & 3.90 gears. stock heads, stock internals LS3, runs 1/4 in 10.84 ET
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VwDPEXkQYE
Same car on track
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vh1xtBWDXo

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
procharger makes a bolt on kit for the LS3 'vette...620+HP. 6psi on stock internals.

Assuming they'll have a similar kit for an LS3 Camaro...get one of those, a good tune and exhaust, some suspension upgrades so it'll hook up, a pair of drag radials...and call it a day.

http://www.procharger.com/LS3_vette.shtml

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Lgmotorsports is located in a small town right outside of Dallas and if you live in the Dallas area you will run into a few of there Vette's on the street. Every one of them that I have seen so far have been Cammed and pretty much sound like a Beast. Amazing

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
It all depends on your budget #1.

After that, you need to set a goal and what type of car you're looking to turn it into.

You can do 500+hp all motor without a problem. These engines have been available to the public since late '96. There is so much knowledge and tried & true combos that you'll easily be able to put it all together.

Just remember - once you start, you won't be able to stop! :D

·
Registered
525 Posts
Im a noob too and im looking to to get the SS but dont know about performance upgrades. I know Headers, CAI, exhaust and tune is usually the first thing people do and notice those are options so will probably go with those. and listening to some of the vids with the cam swap sounds awesome. Basically i want to keep the car original on the outside nothing more than the chrome gas cap and maybe get some stripes painted on. I guess what im describing is more of a sleeper. does that make sense? what are some common combinations or things that people do and how much can i expect to spend on the upgrades. Thanks for being patient with the noob.

·
5,668 Posts
Im a noob too and im looking to to get the SS but dont know about performance upgrades. I know Headers, CAI, exhaust and tune is usually the first thing people do and notice those are options so will probably go with those. and listening to some of the vids with the cam swap sounds awesome. Basically i want to keep the car original on the outside nothing more than the chrome gas cap and maybe get some stripes painted on. I guess what im describing is more of a sleeper. does that make sense? what are some common combinations or things that people do and how much can i expect to spend on the upgrades. Thanks for being patient with the noob.

Basic bolt ons: ~$2850-$3550
CAI ~$200
Long Tube headers ~$400-600
Cat Back ~$500-1000

MAF 100mm ~$250
Ported Throttle body and intake 92mm ~$1,000
Dyno Tune ~$500
The above mods will really open up the power on the car. I lot more than you would think.
Should get you in the 450rwhp range (not all these have to be done and you can do free mods like porting your throttle body yourself and keeping the stock intake. I wouldn't do intake until cam and heads.)

Then if you are staying NA:
Cam/valvetrain ~$600
This will open up yet quiet a bit more power
Should get you to around 500rwhp

then ported/polished heads ~$2500
Yet again more power

With the right set up and depending on the choice of trans. This should get you to 550+ RWHP All motor for less than or around $6,000

If that's not enough you can always go with more C.I. such as a 454ci+ LSX or Warhawk block. You can get the LSX shortblock for around $6,000 which includes forged internals and can take a lot of power.

I will let someone else break down the power adders because I have not much experience with power adder setups.

Also you have to remember that adding power doesn't really mean anything unless you can put it to the ground also without breaking stuff.

You really need to know what your goals are with the car and how you plan to use the car. Is it going to be a street only car? Street/strip car? street/autox? Strip? auto x? or somewhere in the middle.

It don't take much money to start making power, but you can spend a lot of money in the long run.

I highlighted the mods I would do if it were me and then if that wasn't enough I would skip the others and do the LSX block and do the rest of the mods at this time that way you don't waste as much money and still make a lot of power. Maybe even add spray while your saving for the bigger C.I.:D This way you would spend about $2500 +$750 for spray and be there at the power range you want.

One more thing. We don't really know the fuel reqiurements for this car yet so you may have to add in there somewere Fuel pump ~$150 and maybe injectors ~$500

·
Registered
525 Posts
thanks brandonppr

Very insightful. I think i want to keep it street as i have never done any strip or any of the other stuff you mentioned.

Would all that stuff you mentioned still keep it street legal?

The ones you bolded are all offered as accessories except the long tubes. Whats the difference between long tubes and the shorties that are offered?

The ones you didnt bold are they GM accessories we can order for the LS3? or do we have to wait for aftermarket to create them specifically for the 'Maro?

Im a noob so i dont think ill be doing any Spray (NOS???) anytime soon.

Again thanks for your input and welcome more and also from anyone else.

·
5,668 Posts
Very insightful. I think i want to keep it street as i have never done any strip or any of the other stuff you mentioned.

Would all that stuff you mentioned still keep it street legal?

The ones you bolded are all offered as accessories except the long tubes. Whats the difference between long tubes and the shorties that are offered?

The ones you didnt bold are they GM accessories we can order for the LS3? or do we have to wait for aftermarket to create them specifically for the 'Maro?

Im a noob so i dont think ill be doing any Spray (NOS???) anytime soon.

Again thanks for your input and welcome more and also from anyone else.
I don't know where you are located, but around here all they do is OBD2 test for emmisions and all of the stuff i mentioned would pass that.

Some places do further inspections and everything has to be CARB approved or something like that. This makes Long tubes not possible along with a few other things. If you can do long tubes, they make a huge difference in power compared to shorties. The shorties really don't make much difference at least on these engines in the past.

The aftermarket should release the parts for the Camaro as it comes out. The LS3 is based on the LS series of engines and they have been going into cars and trucks since 1997. The aftermarket has many parts that fit these engines that are not car/truck specific. It won't be hard for them to make the other things like CAI, Headers, catback, etc.

Here is more info on the LS series engines:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine

1 - 20 of 46 Posts