Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow!!! :thumbsup:

What an experience today was. I am almost beyond words at this point, and it was such an informational overload, that it’s going to take my brain a few days to process it all!

As you know already, I am not permitted to talk about specifics about the car, so don’t ask questions because I likely won’t be able to answer them. But here’s a general run-down of a few things about today’s focus group experience, along with a few things I am allowed to mention.

The day started off on a good note… as we rolled into the General Motors Milford Proving Grounds on the bus, two Camaro prototypes (which you’ve seen in photos all over the internet) followed us in. As the bus was stopped, they passed us by, proceeded to obliterate their tires, continued to accelerate, and within moments were out of view! :eek:

So we go into our meeting building, and after a brief session we are greeted by our friends, the 2010 Camaros! :roxor:

We saw both V6 and V8 models, and I’m happy to report that there are plenty of visual differences between the two. Red, black, and silver were among the car colors represented, and let me tell you, each looked amazing. This only makes my color choice more difficult!

As you also know, a test drive was also part of this focus group. After driving both V8 and V6 cars, I am thoroughly impressed to say the least. This car is going to absolutely amaze you. While my personal preference remains the V8 model, you will not be disappointed by the V6 model in appearance or performance – the V6 car will be a total sleeper!

Brett Vivian from the Australia development team was on hand to discuss Camaro development with us. It was very re-assuring to hear the stories of how concerned the development team is with everything, down to the smallest detail. I’m very impressed by the outstanding attention to detail that Camaro has received in its development. It’s quite amazing, and very evident in specific designs such as the feel of the interior materials, and the fact that every little fastener in the interior is hidden.

This car is very solid in structure as well. It utilizes a large one-piece structure encompassing the quarter panels, rockers, and roof rails, and when you realize how much work that is to do, it really is an engineering marvel.

We also saw pictures of the production-intent convertible. The Camaro has the most researched convertible top ever in the history of General Motors. Let me tell you that the efforts have paid off – the coupe’s lines are maintained with the top up! :cool:

We also saw the color palette. The car will be offered in 10 colors beginning right away in the 2010 model year, and the colors were chosen wisely. Although, that also made my choice again more difficult! There will also be a host of accessories available from day one, and I am most impressed by the accessories available.

I really wish I could say more, but we were given a list of things we could talk about, and I’m already pushing the limits. There are black Suburbans ready in staging, and I really don’t want to get taken away LOL. :lol:

I am simply blown away by this car.
You are all going to LOVE it!

The concept car was quite awesome, but believe me - you ain’t seen nothin’ yet! :D

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I really wish I could say more, but we were given a list of things we could talk about, and I’m already pushing the limits. There are black Suburbans ready in staging, and I really don’t want to get taken away LOL. :lol:
Octane,

I pledge all my resources to find you and spirit you away from the black Suburbans!!!:roxor:

I will anxiously await your processing and wait for additional details ... but my offer above still stands!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
This sounds great! Now I know you can't say exactly what is what, but I'm sure you can tell us that the headlamps on the cars we have seen on the internet spy photos are NOT production, right?:D Can you say what size wheels were on the V6 and V8 cars you saw? In the list of ten colors, would one of them be a blue metallic???? What about interior color choices? Will we be able to opt for more than just black or tan???? RS SS Z28...are these optional models??? Am I leaving enough leeway in my questioning???:D

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Im still very curious.

I doubt you can tell us that the performance is more or less impressive than a LS2 GTO. :D

·
Registered
318 Posts
You probably won't be able to answer this, but I don't see the harm in asking. Were the cars stick or auto? Great read though. Little things like this keep my hope alive that I'll be able to get one soon. One thing concerns me, though;

This car is very solid in structure as well. It utilizes a large one-piece structure encompassing the quarter panels, rockers, and roof rails, and when you realize how much work that is to do, it really is an engineering marvel.
Sounds like that's a bit expensive to do, and won't help the car in terms of pricing.

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh trust me, there are alot of things on this car that seem expensive to do, yet it will still be sold at a Chevrolet price.
Competitive with Mustang like they have always said.

I can confirm that the lights on the pre-production cars are NOT the real headlights.

We drove both automatic and manual transmission cars.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks for the response. I'm making a new "2010 FACTS" post for the LS1 forums. I was wondering if I could PM it to you to have you look over it, Octane? Not to get info from you, but so you can tell me if I said something wrong? :p

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sounds great, cant wait to see the finished Car with the "real" headlights.:D
the time goas to slow, i woud love it to drive with the camaro at this summer:lol:

regards :hello:

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
meh, I'm not getting too worked up about it yet. For one, the focus group has to be confidential about a lot of stuff, it's like going through all the Roswell Alien records with a bunch of stuff blacked out. No meat and potato information.

I guess it's been SO long, I'm kinda getting too tired to be excited anymore about talk about headlights, engine choices, etc. with no concrete evidence to base any speculation on. I'm still paying attention, mind you, but I can't seem to get too jazzed about generic info. But I am glad the focus group went and hopefully GM listens to at least PART of any suggestions they have to offer.

Now, that said, when I see what we're dealing with at Indy, THEN I'll probably be excited when I actually lay eyes on it myself. THAT I can't wait for! A bit of an octane booster kinda thing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow!!! :thumbsup:

We also saw pictures of the production-intent convertible. The Camaro has the most researched convertible top ever in the history of General Motors. Let me tell you that the efforts have paid off – the coupe’s lines are maintained with the top up! :cool:
Thank you for this tidbit.... I have been torn for months on which version I should get. I love the lines of the coupe, but my heart has been leaning towards the convertible.... I guess my mind has been made up..... Now G.M., please please bring the convertible to market faster.....

1 - 20 of 114 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.