Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna know what kind of electronics technology you guys expect to see in the interior of the new camaro.

Most new cars these days feature some (or all) of the items listed below...but are they appropriate in a muscle car or would you rather the money be spent elsewhere?

Are big color screens inappropriate?
Is a full-blown sat nav system appropriate?
What about Mp3 staorage?
Bluetooth or wireless?
USB?
iPod connectivity?
Voice recognition?
Key-less start/key less entry?
DVD player?
Head-up display?
On Star?
Harddrive?
Rear view camera?
Sound recorder or camera?
Lap Time and Data recorder?
What gauges would you like in the console?
...any other suggestions?

·
Registered
103 Posts
The Lap Time and Data recorder, bluetooth, head up display and sat nav should be available on the higher trim levels. The iPod connectivity should be standard. I don't really like OnStar, so I would make that optional, but I understand GM is making it standard on all vehicles for the '07 model year.

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
I love the keyless start on the C6.

iPod is a must, it is a hit with the HHR, if GM is going after the younger market I can see it in the Camaro

I don't see DVD as those are for rear seat passengers only.

Backup camera, maybe. Those are gaining popularity. Ford has them on some pickups now, of course GM is way behind in that...

·
Registered
863 Posts
-Are big color screens inappropriate? Is a full-blown sat nav system appropriate?

5 yrs ago I would have said no. Now, definitely navigation has to be available as an option.

-What about Mp3 staorage?

An optional Delco system should include both MP3 playback and MP3 storage via an internal flash drive. There should also be a USB interface so you can upload/download MP3 to/from the unit

- Bluetooth or wireless?

Not yet

- iPod connectivity?

Yes, this should be packaged with the optional radio I described above. Perhaps an entire option group should be geared toward the techies out there...

- Voice recognition?

No, too expensive for a Camaro

- Key-less start/key less entry?

Yes

- DVD player?

No, inconsistent with the mission of this car

- Head-up display?

Although cool, this is too pricey for Camaro's target MSRP

- On Star?

Yes, of course

- Harddrive?

No

- Rear view camera?

No, this is not a Lux car, its a Camaro

- Sound recorder or camera?

No

- Lap Time and Data recorder?

Cool, but no

- What gauges would you like in the console?

Tach, speedo, oil pressure, fuel level, water temp, and volts need to be on the dash. Unfortunately that leaves relatively trivial things for the console like a clock, ambient air temp, etc.

I suppose fuel, and volts could be relocated to the console IF an idiot light remained on the dash to alert drivers that might not want to glance down at the console while driving all the time.

What I would love to see on this car would be a built in OBD2 scan tool like this: http://www.aeroforcetech.com/

·
Registered
9 Posts
GoTeamCamaro said:
I wanna know what kind of electronics technology you guys expect to see in the interior of the new camaro.

Most new cars these days feature some (or all) of the items listed below...but are they appropriate in a muscle car or would you rather the money be spent elsewhere?

Are big color screens inappropriate?
Is a full-blown sat nav system appropriate?
What about Mp3 staorage?
Bluetooth or wireless?
USB?
iPod connectivity?
Voice recognition?
Key-less start/key less entry?
DVD player?
Head-up display?
On Star?
Harddrive?
Rear view camera?
Sound recorder or camera?
Lap Time and Data recorder?
What gauges would you like in the console?
...any other suggestions?
  • On Star
  • Ipos connectivity
  • And use the nav system in the vette. It has the radio, nav, data recorder
  • It would put a built in MP3 player that can record songs off the satelite radio.
  • The guages should all be performance oriented, no fluff!:cool:

·
Registered
861 Posts
would definately like to see rca jacks for aftermarket componants!
on-star would be nice. MP-3 player should be standard! I-pod optional. start up system like the vette cool! navigation system standard.heads up standard on high end models! water temp in console volts in console clock in consoleand maybe a boost guage for supercharged models

·
Registered
2 Posts
Personally,
I don't think it needs any of that audio crap as long as GM doesn't make it impossible for me to put MY OWN STUFF in. For God's sake, realize that you can't do audio/multimedia as good as the aftermarket and stop trying, or at least make the base radio easily removable (i.e. don't put the damned ECM or airbag controls inside of it) for those of us that don't want to be bound by an OEM's awful audio system.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
IMO, I don't want all the "gizmo's".

Just give me the basics; a nice sounding stereo, good AC, and maybe power seats.

Must have's; V8, 6 spd.!, RWD :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am with the minimalist camp. Tach, Speedo, Oil, temp, fuel on the dash. I love the look of the sawtooth gauges, but not the functionality. My 67 has console guages and it just isn't the ideal location for critical guages.

I don't really keep up with all of the trends in car stereos, but the ability to hook up with an IPod would be nice - and relatively easy to do. As was mentioned above, keep the stereo separate from the other controls so that it can be upgraded easily.

Regarding GPS & Nav systems... If there is room in the dash, then I don't have a problem with it as an option as long you can still get a striped down model. It seems that auto makers today have a tendency to lump all the options together in various trim level packages which leave little choice for mixing and matching options. Then they want way too much money for the trim package. If I want leather seats, I would like to be able to get them without getting GPS & Etc.

As for the rear view camera, some have called it a luxury item, but I see it as more of a convenience that might be needed if a car has poor rear visibility. In NYC, it would make parallel parking much easier, but it still wouldn't save my bumpers from all the other idiots out there who just keep backing up until they "tap" my bumper and then do the same going forward. The problem is, it doesn't make sense to set up a screen on the dash JUST to show the rear view. Now you are back to getting the GPS, etc.

I wouldn't put any computer equipment in the car for entertainment purposes. Just about anything you do will be fairly outdated in 9 months and completely useless in 5 years anyway.

Greg

·
Registered
3 Posts
NAV system (from that screen you can control the audio, AC functions, and map/guide navigation)

XM (even if I don't care for it)

OnStar (those that want it)

Back up camera that would show throw the NAV screen

iPod hook up def

With all the power and technology, there should be a screen on the NAV screen that shows gauges and such like air/fuel ration, all those kinds of things. Basically, the NAV system could do everything in the car instead of hundreds of buttons and knobs all over. Of course, all these options would be optional.

I would just want NAV in the car

·
Premium Member
11,842 Posts
Big color screens? No thanks.
Full-blown sat nav system? Yes please
What about Mp3 staorage? In combination with built-in MP3 playability and auxilary input, yes
Bluetooth or wireless? Bluetooth could be an option
USB? Depends on what for
iPod connectivity? Definitely (auxilary input)
Voice recognition? Eh, not so much
Key-less start/key less entry? Yes, definitely
DVD player? No
Head-up display? YES!
On Star? XM & OnStar will both be standard equipment, I guarantee.
Harddrive? Could be part of a MP3 system upgrade
Rear view camera? Maybe an upgrade option, but I don't see the need.
Sound recorder or camera? Same as above.
Lap Time and Data recorder? That'd be neat to have, I would probably order it if it was an option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does a/c delete count as technology?:D
Aux Input is a must have before i got my ipod i used my laptop(already there for tuning). Actually instead of a full stereo Id take just an ipod dock in the dash with amp and speakers.
All the other stuff for people who want it as long as I can have none of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Guys i totally want all the new gadgets but i also hope GM takes a que from the past and sticks with cool old fashion uscle car styling perhaps maybe even hiding these new gadgets. Perhaps a little 007'ish. lol i can see the commercial now its fades in showing the classic Camaro at its peak (cough) 69 (cough) then it goes to the interior and everything is just as it should be until all the gadgets start unfolding out of compartments and then it comes back out and its transforms into the 06 while some one says "the all classic and some new chevy camaro" or something dramatically influenced.
Just my thoughts
what do u guys think ?

·
Registered
179 Posts
XM
ipod
HUD
Vette's Nav system.

Good to go, spend the rest on performce & interior trim items.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts