Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone here has bothered to index their plugs when installing them, or if anyone has tried to verify an actual power increase from it. For the extra 10 minutes of your time do you think its worth it if you gain any power?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Just wondering if anyone here has bothered to index their plugs when installing them, or if anyone has tried to verify an actual power increase from it. For the extra 10 minutes of your time do you think its worth it if you gain any power?
I indexed plugs back when things were carbureted and lower power ignition systems and overall tech was lower. Made quite the difference then....

But these days it doesn't make much difference. I did it for the hell of it on my 97 Silverado when I bought it as it had a weird miss at idle and it had new plugs in it already. Made no difference. Turned out it was the new plugs! Changed them to NGK double platinum's and have never had a prob since...

Fine wire (Iridium and some platinum) plugs will make a difference as they drastically open up the "kernel" area and give great tip-in and response feel as well... Don't use em tho if you are on forced induction, they can't shed enough heat fast enough....

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Indexing for the street is futile and a waste of time. It worked when combustion chambers and fuel/ignitions systems were fairly inefficient. That problem has seemed to correct itself via better engineering.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Indexing for the street is futile and a waste of time. It worked when combustion chambers and fuel/ignitions systems were fairly inefficient. That problem has seemed to correct itself via better engineering.
What he said.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've done it on one of my carbureted bikes, it's got 2 cylinders and 4 plugs;
can't say that I noticed much of a difference.
I don't think I'm energetic or bored enough to try it on a V8 Camaro.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts