Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you've been looking for a deer rifle for Indiana, but just couldn't justify the costs associated with a modern rifle, a blast from the past will cure your aliment. If you are unfamiliar with Indiana, it is illegal to hunt deer with a rifle unless it shoots approved pistol cartridges OR fires a bullet bigger than .357" and uses a cartridge between 1.16" and 1.625" in length. It makes no stipulation on what kind of cartridge, powder, or bullet can be used.

I got to thinking about using a breech-loading black-powder rifle that used paper cartridges. The gun I'm looking at for this would be a reproduction 1863 Sharps that fires a 54 caliber Improved Minie conical on top of a 1.2" paper cartridge loaded with modern black-powder. Now, why a breech-loading paper cartridge black-powder rifle? Easy to clean, easy to load, and my personal favorite AWESOME AS ALL GET OUT!!!

I posed my question and here is the answer:

Dear Andrew,

Yes, a breech-loading black-powder rifle that had a paper cartridge at least 1.16 inches in length and no more than 1.625 inches in length and a bullet at least .357 inches in diameter is legal to use during the deer firearms season.

Sincerely,

Linnea

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 6:52 PM
To: DFW
Subject: [website inquiry]

Who would you like to contact?
Your question:
To Whom it may concern,

I have a question concerning the use of a black-powder rifle during firearm deer season. Would it be legal to use a breech-loading black-powder rifle that had a paper cartridge of the appropriate length and bullet of the appropriate size? I had in mind a 54 caliber rifle that used a black-powder cartridge between 1.2" and 1.5" overall length.

Sincerely,

Andrew

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Nice!

I hate black powder rifles.. :lol: Well... only when they freakin misfire with a deer right in front of you :angry:

Oklahoma is trying to make killing white deer legal! *cross fingers*
Mandy is the Poster child for women for buck knives and Cabela's
she likes Car's , Gun's and happens to Carry her Shells in a Coach purse :lol:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Mandy is the Poster child for women for buck knives and Cabela's
she likes Car's , Gun's and happens to Carry her Shells in a Coach purse :lol:
I do have a buck knife! No joke! :lol: (I'd take a pic but there's blood and fur on it)
Just spent a couple hundred at cabelas a couple weeks ago...
And I honestly have put my buck knife and hunting shells in my coach purse :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts