Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just grabbed this from a YAHOO news thread...

Slated to bow in the first quarter of 2009 as an early 2010 model, it's expected that the Camaro will be offered in three trim levels — LS, LT and SS. The base LS may be powered by Chevy's 3.5-liter pushrod V-6 making about 220 bhp. The LT models would use the overhead-cam direct-injected 3.6-liter V-6 developing upward of 300 bhp, while the SS will be powered by a 6.2-liter LS3 V-8 (similar to that found in the Corvette) tuned to produce around 400–405 bhp. A year after launch, Chevy will introduce a convertible version and after that a high-performance Z28 model with a super-charged 6.2-liter sibling to the Corvette ZR1's LS9 motor known as the LSA. That engine would make somewhere in the neighborhood of 480–500 bhp and is similar to the engine used in the upcoming Cadillac CTS-V.

photos...seems like the 5thGen is getting a lot of attention now....Now let's see how accurate this all is!

The one thing that peev's me, I don't like seeing vette-like wheels on the car......I hope they don't come to the showroom that way.

·
Registered
71 Posts
A year after launch, Chevy will introduce a convertible version and after that a high-performance Z28 model with a super-charged 6.2-liter sibling to the Corvette ZR1's LS9 motor known as the LSA.
Assuming this is true...does that mean the Z28 will come out 2 years later, or approximately the same time - but a little later - as the convertible?

I understand this is all speculation, but I just hope that if they do release a Z28 option (with a bigger V8), they let us know it's coming. I really don't want to wait 2 years only to find out I could have ordered one when the first came out cause that's all we were going to get.

----

And if anyone is interested in reading the yahoo article, here's the link:

LINK

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'd stick to what Octane and Fbodfather say, personally. Tabloids are ****.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
hmmmm well maybe the road and track post may be saying something after all. Or maybe not !!!!!

They did say a 400 hp V8 and that the V8 car would wear the SS badge and that the Supercharged version that would come out later on would wear the Z28 badge.

interesting hmmmmmmmmmm well see :D

·
Registered
620 Posts
HMMMM i thought this was talked about in another thread, the whole SS and Z28 thing and that he SS would be the top dog. someone correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the SS the top dog in the GM lineup. I mean i know GM is over doing the SS name but i would have thought that the SS would have top. The thing is with the video is that we have seen all this already, its bits and pieces of video and information that has already come out. I would have thought the basic line up from day one would have been- camaro (no frills basic V6), RS V6 with the ground effects that makes it look different like on the 3rd and 4gen models, a Z28 with the suspension tuned for road corses, and the all out HP monster the SS.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
HMMMM i thought this was talked about in another thread, the whole SS and Z28 thing and that he SS would be the top dog. someone correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the SS the top dog in the GM lineup. I mean i know GM is over doing the SS name but i would have thought that the SS would have top. The thing is with the video is that we have seen all this already, its bits and pieces of video and information that has already come out. I would have thought the basic line up from day one would have been- camaro (no frills basic V6), RS V6 with the ground effects that makes it look different like on the 3rd and 4gen models, a Z28 with the suspension tuned for road corses, and the all out HP monster the SS.
That's been a long running debate...kind of like "less filling, tastes great" and at this point, nothings "official" yet. Personally, I don't care which one is top dog. I've never owned either unfortunately and I'll buy whichever I can afford (probably won't be the top dog).

The best argument for the Z/28 being king is that there are lots of Chevy's with SS badges, but only a Camaro can a Z/28.

·
Registered
620 Posts
And I agree, i dont know why GM would want to wait untill a year later to bring the Z28 out. Being that it is a camaro only i could agree that the Z could be top dog, the could always bring the berlinetta back out ;) lol. i have had my share of many camaros, starting with the 1969 ss327 in black on black, sadly i never got to drive it but i owned it. it needed a new quarter panel and rocker panel, the guy i got it from side swiped a telephone pole. all through high school i drove a 79 that was half a$$ built buy someone. but it was fun and mine, lol if i could i would get the top camaro when they come out no matter waht model it is i like them all lol.

·
Registered
318 Posts
That's really not too bad of a deal, Sluuug, if the Z28 costs about a base C6. Especially if it's a supercharged 550hp beast.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
I want a Z28, but not one that will cost the same as a base vette. :BangHead:

I think it would be weird seeing everyone drive an SS around and say the POWER car is the Z28. We are just used to see those Z28's

A friend of mine has always said

Gm has proven any car can wear the SS badge but only a Camaro can wear a Z28 emblem !!!!!!!!

I got my old SS in the garage I was kind of hoping to have a Z28 for once.....I still may but not if its Vette priced.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Iam not buying a 6 unless it got a big turbo hanging on it then thats still ? Also iam not waiting another year for a limited edition Z28 that the dealers will mark up. As for an over priced base v8 car with 300 rwhp i dont think so .

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Iam not buying a 6 unless it got a big turbo hanging on it then thats still ? Also iam not waiting another year for a limited edition Z28 that the dealers will mark up. As for an over priced base v8 car with 300 rwhp i dont think so .
Read my lips - MSRP or LESS! They'd be FOOLISH to mark up when just about everyone knows our policy.

:patriot:

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
While I can understand the 4th gen guys who have SS being upset, I still think that having a SS as the base V8 isnt a bad idea. The Z28, beside 4th gen trend, is that the Z28 was top dog.

Plus if Chevy carries over the common trim level badging a base V8 SS fits well after LS, LT. When I think of the Z-** badge today, I think its cream of the crop for it model. Example: Z06, Z71, Z28, etc. (ZL1 is to ZR1, if a limited camaro beyond Z28 is created).

And if they go back on history, the top dog Z28 will have suspension upgrades and unique styling. (On that note, I hope the RS is an appearance package that can be ordered and badged with all trim, ex. SS/RS, LT/RS)

On a side note: All 4th gen V8 Camaros were Z28s, the SS was actually an appearance package. According to VIN.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
dont take any of the news from this article as "offical" it's from Road & Track.:BangHead: Almost as inaccurate as Motor Trend.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thats not exactly

While I can understand the 4th gen guys who have SS being upset, I still think that having a SS as the base V8 isnt a bad idea. The Z28, beside 4th gen trend, is that the Z28 was top dog.

Plus if Chevy carries over the common trim level badging a base V8 SS fits well after LS, LT. When I think of the Z-** badge today, I think its cream of the crop for it model. Example: Z06, Z71, Z28, etc. (ZL1 is to ZR1, if a limited camaro beyond Z28 is created).

And if they go back on history, the top dog Z28 will have suspension upgrades and unique styling. (On that note, I hope the RS is an appearance package that can be ordered and badged with all trim, ex. SS/RS, LT/RS)

On a side note: All 4th gen V8 Camaros were Z28s, the SS was actually an appearance package. According to VIN.

True: If the regular Z28's 305 horsepower and 335 lb-ft of torque aren't enough, the SS uses ram-air induction and other modifications to make 320 hp and 345 lb-ft. Note that these are conservative, realistic net ratings, not the wildly optimistic gross ratings often used in the muscle car era. Today's 320 horsepower could be yesterday's 350 or even 375.

http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicles/new/reviews/2000/russ0029.html

·
Registered
116 Posts
The only thing about that quote is what they say about horsepower claims in the muscle car era, they say they were all optimistic then when many were actually underrated in order to prevent extreme insurance rates, such as the infamous LS6 454 Chevelles rated at 450 HP when they were well over 500, same goes for the ZL1

·
Registered
46 Posts
I really want a 5.7L, 4.0+ in. bore, 8K RPM, 500HP, NA beast under the hood of my next Camaro, but we can't all have what we want. (I'm saving that motor for my ORR '98 Z28).

All we can do is hope that GM creates a successful car, as that is truly all that really matters.

If you know how extensive the aftermarket for ANY year Camaro is, you will understand that continued production of Camaro/Firebirds(?) is the only true factor that will allow the Camaro to march into the future as a winning design in all aspects.

It is each individual owner that will shape their new F-Body into what he/she ultimatly wants, and all we need is a strong foundation (Thank you GM!) on which to start our dream projects.

This basic V6 described above is where GM will hopefully make its profits. As long as the cheap base model survives, so too will the upper-end and radical models (sticking a LSA+ LS9Dual Disc Clutch into a 5th Gen)...

Us here on this forum only make up a VERY small portion of all the intended buyers that GM has in their sights, and as such, they need to focus on more important aspects, such as MPG and looks, so that they can attract the less enthusiastic buyers that are purchasing the Camaro as a practical form of trasportation.

And in the above black Camaro GM looks like they might have a winner on their hands!:)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.