Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been posted before, I did a search but came up with nothing.

I keep going back and forth on this feature. I am worried about how it will stand up log term use. Will the plastic scratch easy will it discolor because of sun etc, will debris be able to fall behind the plastic and be visible?

I know this is “new” for a car but do any of the disciples or anyone that has seen it have any ideas on the long term durability of the ambient lighting system?

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
With GM's current focus on quality, I have a lot more confidence in it than I would have had in previous years. They could have had a HUD at production, but instead of piecing it together, they did the right thing and delayed it. It may make some people mad, but it shows they are worried about quality in their cars.

·
Registered
313 Posts
It really is a unique treatment.
The material seems to be very durable and I would not question its longevity.
And the lighting part is LED, so that will surely last. :)
Unique - YES!

In fact, when we were designing this feature we could not find a single example in the automotive world that does anything similar.

The Mercedes S class and CTS have ambient lighting but its done it a much more conventional way.

GM often gets criticized for being the last with innovation and technology - here is a great example of where we were first!!

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
With patents, I hope. :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Unique - YES!

In fact, when we were designing this feature we could not find a single example in the automotive world that does anything similar.

The Mercedes S class and CTS have ambient lighting but its done it a much more conventional way.

GM often gets criticized for being the last with innovation and technology - here is a great example of where we were first!!
Just a FYI. . . My 1969 Corvette had fiber optics built into it that lit up on the console indicating directly the condition of the tail/brake lights and front turn signal lights. I'm pretty sure that was very innovative for the time. ;)
Worked slick too, you always knew if you had a burnt out light before the cops pulled you over to tell you about it. :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Does anyone have a link to a pic of what the interior ambient lighting looks
like when lit up? I saw one pic a few days ago, but I have no idea where I
saw it. HELP!

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
interesting -

does this lighting only come on when the parking lights or headlights are on?

I presume it does not cause any glare on the window for night time driving.. BRRRRILLIANT!!! time for a guinness! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
313 Posts
The lighting was designed so it wont cause glare on the glass - and it was painstakingly tuned to ensure it is never annoying at all types of driving conditions.

As for when and how the lighting turns on.. you'll enjoy finding that out when you take a Camaro for a drive!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
My 94 Vette has some interior ambient lighting stuff in it. I love it, because it's not bright enough to bother you, but bright enough to see things like door handles and the center console. I can't wait to see this in my Camaro. Thanks, GTC!

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
The lighting was designed so it wont cause glare on the glass - and it was painstakingly tuned to ensure it is never annoying at all types of driving conditions.

As for when and how the lighting turns on.. you'll enjoy finding that out when you take a Camaro for a drive!!!!
TEASE!:lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts

evilll i cannot wait that long!!! ugh :p

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just ordered my wife a 2SS model with the RS package. I went through what I thought was all the options with the dealer and did not see anything about ambient lighting being an option.

Is this a part of one of the other option packages I selected? I sure don't want to miss out on this if it is an option.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
It is included with the 2LT and 2SS....

the engineers are working on the ambient lighting, and they hope to have it ready for the Feb 16th start of production.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks. Now I gotta figure out a question on the stripes.

I ordered a B7X Arctic White Stripe Package that is apparently only an option on the 2SS models. I want ot see a picture of this stripe and understand the difference between this and the other optional white stripe package (VYZ)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts