Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
JacFab.com
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a couple months coming, I've dropped a few mentionings here and there, but didn't really want to show it off until I had the cold hard proof from the dyno...

The car (mine) used for the baseline is essentially a stock car, major "performance" mods are:

Dynomax #39494 axle back, and JacFab X-pipe w/ resonator delete.

Nothing that probably effects anything in a positive or negative way... The car has the STOCK tune, and was not tuned to run with the JacFab intake.

The baseline was done at 10:30am, Friday 4/27, and the comparison with the JacFab intake done appx. 30 minutes later after we removed the the stock and swapped in the JacFab unit, ambient temp were 5 degrees hotter while running the JacFab intake.

Baseline : 370.25 hp / 363.83 ft lb tq
JacFab inake: 387.95 hp / 373.11 ft lb tq
That's a +17 hp peak gain, and a 9 ft lb peak torque gain, but there are large areas in the curve where both hp and tq show a 20+ gain over the stock... Here is the video...

Please pardon the dirty car, I had to drive for 4 hrs to get to the dyno, as the only one locally is about 4x the price, and it was cheaper to just drive.

Everyone says that cone filters are superior to flat panel filters because they have more surface area. But my theory was that a flat panel filter will allow a straighter air flow path, while also removing the turbulence in the air stream. Combining the flat panel filter with a large, magic if you will, velocity stack like affair built into the filter clamp allows for maximizing the usable surface area of the flat panel filter, and increasing air velocity at the same time.

We are very happy with the outcome of our first prototype, as it looks to have exceeded numbers of most of the competition without the ADM/APEX intake scoop according to both JRE tests... It should also be noted that the ADM/APEX scoop is not installed on the test car, the factory washer bottle is in place, and the fender wells have not been modified in ANY way to attempt to increase airflow... This was tested just as if it had shown up out of a box to a customer, no further modifications, or additional products!

These numbers are also backed up by track (drag strip) testing where the car picked up 2.5 tenths from last years best time with the only changes being the JacFab intake, and short throw shifter modification. However everyone at the track was running a tenth fast due to good air, so if you consider that, we still picked up 1.5 tenths which is right there with what the dyno numbers show.

We currently working on pricing, available color options, and looking at tweaks for the production version to further improve performance, and ease of install.

Thoughts? :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
Looks nice! I like that you are willing to put some additional thought into your design by straying away from the cone filter and not just using that because that's what everyone else is using. Nice job on the performance increase too!

·
JacFab.com
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We've pulled the trigger with a plastic forming company up north of us to have the velocity stack affair made of one piece ABS plastic. Our expected wait is 4-6 weeks for the tooling to be completed, and to receive the first 2 "prototype" pieces for approval.

Once we receive the first to pieces, we will construct 2 more "final prototypes" and head back up to the dyno, and should hopefully be able to start producing these for sale shortly after that.

The final piece is looking like it will be a very nice product, and should be well worth the wait! :)

·
JacFab.com
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
We are currently working with a local high end powder coat materials manufacturer to color match the paint colors of the Camaro, so our intakes will have the option of a color matching powder coat finish!

We are expected to get a velocity stack/filter clamp piece machined out of hard coated polyurethane foam for approval around the middle of this coming week, with the pieces expected to start being made upon approval!

We're getting closer guys! I think a lot of people will love the final product!

·
JacFab.com
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a foam mock up velocity stack/filper clamp piece this last Friday and played with it over the weekend, gave the injection molding place the OK to start producing the pieces yesterday. Just ordered material for the first run of boxes. More air filters in production now, hoping to receive them late this week/early next week. Still waiting on the color matching powders. We're gearing up for production, with more in house testing as well as some 3rd party testing to follow! Keep your eyes peeled!

·
JacFab.com
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just talked to the injection molding company, they said they should have something for me to look at next week sometime... More air filters showing up today... Pretty much have all of the materials in house now to start making these, just waiting on the plastic guys... Wish I had more exciting news.

·
Registered
394 Posts
i want one.. looks like a good intake ..

·
JacFab.com
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's some good info that was in response to a question on C5:

The direction we are leaning on for the lids is that they will be one solid piece of polycarbonate material, the name of the intake as well as 2 small "windows" will be left clear, and the remaining will be frosted/etched into the lid... It would easily be completely frosted on the back side to give the text, and windows a neat 3d effect, or colored vinyl could be applied to the backside, to give the lid some color and make it unable to see through... See the crude picture below.

Once the injection molded pieces start rolling in, and we get the first handful of intakes completed we are going to be sending 2-3 out for independent testing, and one on the shop car to begin more road/track/dyno testing. I'm thinking when these first few go out for testing I will officially start the "name the intake" contest, in which the winning name will be used on the box lids, and the winner will receive a *FREE* intake!

We do have a rough idea on pricing, but it is still subject to change on the final cost I get from the injection molding company. The current price I have in my head is based on a hopefully worst case scenario price I got from them, and I've got my fingers crossed we can get it down from there...

The bottom is open, so you will be able to take advantage of any brand scoop you choose to install. The intake will be able to retain the stock washer bottle if desired, and the lid will be available with, or without a quick access hole and plug to easily fill the washer bottle without removing the lid.

Still waiting on the powder coat materials manufacturing company on the color matched powders to be offered as an option on anything still powdercoat-able.

Attachments

·
JacFab.com
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I gave the approval on the master of the velocity stack/filter clamp piece last Friday to the plastic company, I should start getting the first production pieces by the end of the week! Still a couple things to do such as making some jigs for milling the MAF hole, and refining the box design for easier install, but we're getting close to being able to send out the first few intakes for independent testing!

These will not be red, they will be black. We are still investigating options to offer them custom painted to match, but the tube, and the box will be powder coated either silver or black at the same base cost, with Camaro color matching options at an extra fee.

These pieces will be made out of a material that has a heat deflection rating of 340° F, and the tube section has a fairly thick wall, so there should be no problems with the tightening of the hose clamp collapsing the tube as such problems with other intakes of plastic construction have been occasionally reported.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Keep the info coming dude, looking forward to some more pics as well!

Jim

·
JacFab.com
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The mold is finally done, and I picked up the first piece from it yesterday (pictured below outside, and back side transition into tube)! The piece looks amazing! Nice and thick 3/16" wall thickness, light, nice texture, and has a heat deflection rating of 340° F @ 66 PSI, there should be NO issues with this under the hood.

I realize that I haven't divulged much data on the intake, so here is a flow comparison of the JacFab intake vs a generic tube and cone filter to give you something to ponder... Flow testing reported at 28" (typically the standard), as tested on our in house Super Flow flow bench.

I was able to pull 1127.9 CFM though just a 4" tube similar to most after market intakes...

Adding a "high flow" cone filter to the end of the tube dropped the flow to 1076.7 CFM... (appx. 4.5% worse than the tube alone)

Adding the JacFab "Magic Stack" piece to the end of the tube inceased the flow to 1281.8 CFM with no filter. (appx 13.5% better than the tube alone)

With a "high flow" flat panel filter the complete JacFab intake flowed 1183.2 CFM... (appx 5% Better than the wide open tube with no filter attached, and appx 10% better than the tube with a cone filter.)

*Keep in mind this test was just for comparison of our intake vs a 4" intake tube, w/ and w/o filters. This test was not conducted through a head, intake, or throttle body.*

So rather than simply just sticking a cone filter on the end of a tube, we have in a sense maximized the allowable flow potential of the tube before even throwing a filter into the mix... The end result is a complete intake with the filter that flows more than a common 4" tube without a filter (which is awesome), and even more than a tube with a filter.

More stack pieces are being produced right now. I hope to have the first functioning production prototype on my car and doing more testing with it mid-late next week.

Attachments

·
JacFab.com
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
See it here first! The latest rendition of the JacFab cold air intake system is assembled and running on the car! Keep in mind that this is still a fairly early production prototype, it's just a temporary lid on the box, and the MAF mount is temporarily attached with silicone as we attempt to play with different MAF locations to get the fueling where we want...

What do you guys think?!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Looking very nice and is a very clean install! I like the nice suble black look too!

Thanks for the update Jason!

·
JacFab.com
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well, I'm pretty happy with the fueling I'm seeing. I installed a wideband o2 sensor & gauge on the car today, and the intake is within the normal range (avg 14.5:1 at cruise), at WOT the intake is at about 12.2:1 avg, which I think is very safe, especially when most tuners are tuning for 12.5 to 13.0:1 (depending on the tuner, and the application) at WOT, so we're good to go!

Essentially the intake is now finished design wise, the only thing that will change is its appearance (finished lid, slight change in the tube, permanent MAF mount, different color options). Going to call and try to get an appointment to get the production prototype intake vs stock intake on the dyno again this Friday! Fingers crossed it's as good, or better than the original prototype was!

·
JacFab.com
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I finally got internet access so I could download the dyno run files and assess the situation...

Just so there's no mystery to it, the first graph shows all of the runs. Runs 6-8 are the stock intake, runs 3-5 the JacFab intake... Runs files 1 & 2 are not shown and were failed missions the dyno was not happy with it's failed tach pickup and not working. An optical pickup had to be used so unfortunately the hood had to be left open.

I'm sure the hood open will raise controversy, and complaints, BUT my stock box numbers were very similar to the original test with the first prototype, so I personally think that testing with the hood open had no influence on the numbers, otherwise the stock numbers might have been much higher than last time. I also think that if there was ANY benefit from leaving the hood open, the stock intake, would receive a greater benefit because the snorkel can pull fresh air easier, where as my intake has a lid, and is fairly well sealed so it probably still pulls most of its air from around the washer bottle.

Conditions: The runs were started at appx. 11:05am 9/12/12. Temp at the start of testing was 85.5, temp at the end of the stock box runs was 89.7, all runs were completed by 11:45am. Absolute pressure 30.1 in-Hg, vapor pressure 0.3 in-Hg,Altitude 4500, humidity 23%. CLT 190+, the car was at operating temp for all testing. I did manage to find a gas station in town that sold 92 Octane, fuel take consisted of 3/4 tank 92 Oct 1/4 tank 91 Oct E10 fuel. Notice no dip at 4100 this time with the 92 Oct.

The dyno operator obviously needs practice starting a run, I wanted to shove him out of the car, and do it myself. Disregard everything below 3.5k rpms.

The graph of all runs:

This is everything, all the cards... Notice that runs 7 and 8 are nearly identical. To give a number, I would junk the highs, and junk the lows, below is what I feel is a fairly accurate comparison between the stock intake and the JacFab intake...

The comparison:

You may say this is an unfair comparison because the stock intake number is less than my stock intake number from the first test... Realize that the first test of the original intake was done back in April, nice good air on a 65 degree morning (10am), fast forward to yesterday, crap fall/summer 90 degree air. I think it's a fair comparison.

JacFab intake +17.87HP, +16.06TQ. A minimum of 14 ft lbs of torque gained through the whole curve, and up 30 ft lbs in places... An average gain of 17.16 HP (above 3500), and an average of 19.62 ft lbs of torque (above 3500)... WITH NO SCOOP!

Instant gains
, big gains, all the way through the rpm range... As I've said before, and it says on our website, "This thing pulls like a freight train!"... No Joke.

Run videos to come later when I get home, probably in a couple days.

Discuss.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey Jason,
These results are without tuning the VCM correct? So the VCM learned on it's own for the fuel trims and such.
The graphs look really nice. It's almost a constant delta between the stock intake and the JacFab intake. Good work!!
So which location did you end up putting the MAF in? Just curious where you saw the best results.

·
JacFab.com
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Jason,
These results are without tuning the VCM correct? So the VCM learned on it's own for the fuel trims and such.
The graphs look really nice. It's almost a constant delta between the stock intake and the JacFab intake. Good work!!
So which location did you end up putting the MAF in? Just curious where you saw the best results.
Ended up putting the MAF exactly where the SolidWorks flow simulation looked like it had the most air entering the tube section, right about the 2:30 position. Here is the most current configuration (Pay no attention to the ugly pyrometer probe):

Completely stock tune on the car, it learned what it wanted and seems to be pretty safe as far as fueling goes.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ended up putting the MAF exactly where the SolidWorks flow simulation looked like it had the most air entering the tube section, right about the 2:30 position. Here is the most current configuration (Pay no attention to the ugly pyrometer probe):

Completely stock tune on the car, it learned what it wanted and seems to be pretty safe as far as fueling goes.
Nice to know that your flow simulation model was an acurrate prediction of the air flow!!
Also nice to know that it's on a completely stock tune! This way you don't need to void the warranty on your car to get a good performing intake.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts