• no

Votes: 22 37.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am stationed in Indianapolis as a recruiter. I have been pulled over about 5 times in the last 12 months. From those 5 times I SHOULD HAVE gotten 5 tickets. I never did. Well I take that back I did get a ticket once but when I showed up in court in uniform, because it was a duty day, they threw it out before I even saw the Judge. Now this does not happen near military post because we keep those communities alive. I was just wondering if people get mad at us for not paying tickets?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Don't feel bad, my daughter is 28 years old, cute and is dating a police officer.

If anyone should have recieved a ticket it would be her.

She gets verbal warnings all the time.

Robin

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I'm kinda indifferent on the issue. I think speeding tickets are a joke anyway, so most people shouldn't even get them. Driving recklessly, that's another issue. If someone is doing something dangerous that can hurt someone innocent to the situation, then they should be reprimanded accordingly regardless of their profession.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The way I see it, with as much as our military members and their families sacrifice for our COUNTRY they deserve a break. LOTS of breaks, and not just on speeding tickets. How about airline tickets??!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Anyone who has ever served knows they don't do it for the money. They are grossly under paid so little things like not getting a traffic ticket can mean alot.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I think they deserve it, never been one to hate on somone who has it alittle better then me. I say power 2 em :D, I have the same question for imports! :lol:

When I had all my different Import cars I got pulled over allll the time!!:angry: but as soon as I went American thouse same cops are giving me thumbs up:thumbsup: :lol: I always wondered if the imports mind getting picked on:( because I sure hated it, but laugh now that I have American it really is a different world! People want you to burn out etc... never had that with the Acura+subaru+benz etc... Either way I try never to hate, there are enough haters out there already :lol:

·
Registered
65 Posts
The way I see it, with as much as our military members and their families sacrifice for our COUNTRY they deserve a break. LOTS of breaks, and not just on speeding tickets. How about airline tickets??!!
+1000 on that. Not just the dangers they face, but also the long separation from their families. Unless the person is driving recklessly or is drunk, if I was a leo, I'd be inclined to give them a break.

·
Registered
738 Posts
No, they shouldn't get a break. They took a job, that job is the military, it has it's risks and they knowingly take those risks.

People dangle from ropes to build bridges, without bridges our country wouldn't have half it's functionality that it has, with or without a military. Should they also get breaks?

Should doctors get breaks? How many lives have they saved? How about school teachers? Without them you wouldn't have to worry about getting a ticket because the cop wouldn't be able to write it.

No one deserves special treatment. Ever.

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts
It's called a police officers discretion.... If it was something small he should get a break if it was something huge then no he shouldn't... How would you like it if you served your country and got a ticket for going a lil over the speed limit

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
It's called a police officers discretion.... If it was something small he should get a break if it was something huge then no he shouldn't... How would you like it if you served your country and got a ticket for going a lil over the speed limit
:agree:

·
Registered
376 Posts
everyone should be treated the same. i don't believe people in the military should get special treatment when it comes to speeding tickets.

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts
everyone should be treated the same. i don't believe people in the military should get special treatment when it comes to speeding tickets.
Everybody does get treated the same... If you are not rude to the officer or if you are being polite then it's up to the police officer to give you a ticket or not... So for something small if you are nice and the officer is reasonable then you prolly won't get a ticket

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree with OceanChevy, I have 13 +yrs in the ARMY and was stopped in Dallas two days after my return from Iraq (Drove from KS to TX) for 65 in a 55. He saw I was in uniform and cut me a break. I have been out of uniform and speeding and been cut a break as well. It's all up to the Police Officer and how he sees it, treat them with respect and you may get some back. Everyone should catch a break once in awhile.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I agree, but that does not give them the right to do whatever they want.
Laws should be enforced equally/impartially or not at all. If a judge wants to throw it out, fine, that's his/her prerogative.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I agree, but that does not give them the right to do whatever they want.
I completely agree with you. I have been on active duty for over 20 years (contracted for 10 more, will probably do 35 years total) and if I'm speeding, then treat me the same as anyone else.

Military personnel should be setting the example wherever they are. It was very admirable of the originator to post his thoughts & ask for feedback; I think it shows he may be feeling a little guilty...

If military members are given these kind of breaks, it becomes "expected" and the envelope will be pushed even further, leading to truly dangerous situations.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I totally agree with what Anna said. To all of my fellow comrades serving, thank you and be safe with your vehicle as I will with mine!

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Law officer's discretion. It's ALWAYS been at the officer's discretion. Anyone that's had to enforce any rule against anyone else has most assuredly given someone a "break" at some juncture and has punished others at times. That's because you used judgement at the scene of the "crime". I've been given breaks before and I've also had tickets before, both in and out of the military, so it is what it is.

I don't think anyone DESERVES a break just because they're of a certain occupation, but again, it goes back to the discretion of the officers of the court system. I agree that military members should also be a role model of civility whether they like it or not. I applaud them for their sacrifices, and families, too. But they shouldn't be getting automatic free passes.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think it is ok to give military a break. I know I'm being partial but W/E. I think I have only had 2 tickets in the last 11 years. I've maybe been pulled over about 15 times whether it's for my tint or speeding, etc.

One time I got pulled over for driving in a turning lane. I got pulled over and the cop asked me to step out of the vehicle. Once he saw I was in cammies, he told me to forget about it and turned around. lol

The other day I got pulled over by a cop for my tints. He saw my USMC tattoo and asked me if I was a Marine. I told him I was and he also told me to forget about it. While heading back to his vehicle he tells me, "By the way, I'm also supposed to let you know that your license plate light is out. Take care." lol

I have so many stories it is not even funny. I've also gotten off because I am a Mets fan. The last ticket I did receive was from a female cop about a year ago. I called my friend who works for the same police dept. and he spoke to her. She ended up not turning the ticket in...lol

I'd say that I've been pretty darn lucky so far. (knock on wood) But I in no way take advantage of that luck. I do try to drive like a decent person.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts