Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://5thgencamaro.blogspot.com/2006/08/since-when-is-camaro-muscle-car.html

The article below was written my Gerry Malloy of the Toronto Star. I promptly sent a message to Mr. Malloy, informing him his definition of a 'Muscle Car' needs some research.

While the Mustang and the Camaro of the 1960s are considered Pony Cars, it was the high performance powertrains that were available that made the Muscle Cars. The press has gone crazy since Camaro production was announced on August 10th, could they actually be running out of things to write about?

Click here to see the article

-- Joe

·
Registered
863 Posts
Is it now or was it?

Back in the day, it wasn't a muscle car, it was indeed a Pony Car.

Muscle cars were where you took the powertrain from the land barges and put them into mid-sized cars.

The Mustang and Camaro were considered small cars back then. They weren't muscle cars...or maybe we should say they are like an offshoot of muscle cars.

There's so few performance/muscle cars today that I think we can safely lump them all in together as "Muscle Cars" w/o upsetting too many purists.

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it now or was it?

Back in the day, it wasn't a muscle car, it was indeed a Pony Car.

Muscle cars were where you took the powertrain from the land barges and put them into mid-sized cars.

The Mustang and Camaro were considered small cars back then. They weren't muscle cars...or maybe we should say they are like an offshoot of muscle cars.

There's so few performance/muscle cars today that I think we can safely lump them all in together as "Muscle Cars" w/o upsetting too many purists.
There seems to be a large consensus to disagree with that. Big engines powerful Mustangs and Camaros are called Muscle cars by many circles, this article was the first time I have ever heard they weren't.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
The definition of a muscle car is going to change as u go from gear head to gear head so is it really possible to put a extact definition to "muscle car". Muscle- strong, fast, powerful. The dictonary 2 a : muscular strength : BRAWN b : effective strength : POWER <political muscle>
So its all about personal belief, if someone thinks that big blocks= muscle car thats their belief, but ive seen wat a 350 or even a ford 5.0 can do.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
wat one person views as a muscle car will not always be judged the same by another, it was called the muscle car era, not the big block era as many people view it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts