Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an article today by Martin Zimmerman regarding the three years it is taking General Motors to get the Camaro from Concept introduction to showrooms.

Being a Camaro enthusiast, it is painful to watch Ford Mustangs contine to roll out of dealer lots and watch the Dodge Challenger make it's debut rolling the streets of Auburn Hills, Michigan without camo and start to appear on Showroom floors around the country.

Our only hope is this new car is everything GM tells us it is, and more...

Click HERE to read the entire article from the Los Angeles Times

-- http://5thgencamaro.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
People don't realize that it takes time to get things right.

SURE GM could rush it out..but then it would be like the Challenger.
Inferior performance.
Insanely high price tag.
**** good looking exterior.
Boring-as-hell interior.

Today's world is all "GIMME, GIMME NOW, NO EXCUSES!" and noone is willing to wait the amount of time required to get the right stuff.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
637 Posts
GM being late to the party has nothing to do with the 3 years its taking to get it to market, it has everything to do with the abandonment of the program 10 years ago.

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GM being late to the party has nothing to do with the 3 years its taking to get it to market, it has everything to do with the abandonment of the program 10 years ago.
It's mostly about the development of Zeta and other issues.

How exactly does the 8 year hiatus of the Camaro have anything to do with the 3+ year gap between Concept debut and production?

·
Registered
637 Posts
It's mostly about the development of Zeta and other issues.

How exactly does the 8 year hiatus of the Camaro have anything to do with the 3+ year gap between Concept debut and production?
Exactly nothing and thats the point. 3 years is pretty **** fast. But with Mustang never stopping the 8 years is a bigger problem.

Zeta or its equivalant should have been in development long ago (maybe it was not sure) to tap into the this emerging "muscle" car revival.

Ford either saw it coming or created it with the Mustang, helped along with other retro styled cars. Chrysler tapped in to it wit hthe 300 and Charger and will dig in a little deeper with Challenger. In the meantime GM produced what? Aveo? Impala? Nothing to grab a bit of this market.

I am glad the Camaro is coming along with G8 and Malibu they are everything they should be, but I think the market may change before Camaro becomes a success and those 8 years will be to blame.

Of course this is only one guys opinion who really doesnt know the inside of the car industry. :patriot:

·
Registered
370 Posts
There is an article today by Martin Zimmerman regarding the three years it is taking General Motors to get the Camaro from Concept introduction to showrooms.

Being a Camaro enthusiast, it is painful to watch Ford Mustangs contine to roll out of dealer lots and watch the Dodge Challenger make it's debut rolling the streets of Auburn Hills, Michigan without camo and start to appear on Showroom floors around the country.

Our only hope is this new car is everything GM tells us it is, and more...

Click HERE to read the entire article from the Los Angeles Times

-- http://5thgencamaro.blogspot.com/
I was in the Camaro today and its one kick ass car. And before anyone asks i won't comment any further on it , other then to say you won't be disappointed with it. Believe me the wait will be worth it. GM has hit a homerun with this sportscar.

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was in the Camaro today and its one kick ass car. And before anyone asks i won't comment any further on it , other then to say you won't be disappointed with it. Believe me the wait will be worth it. GM has hit a homerun with this sportscar.
:roxor:

·
Registered
637 Posts
super6 I envy you to no end, let us know what you can, when you can.:roxor:

lu what have I said that needs to be deleted??:confused:

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Concept to production is often a flawed time-frame because work does not actually begin on a car until it's green-lighted for production.

Take the Pontiac Solstice for example...
It was 4 years from when we first saw the concept car until it was produced.
However it was just 19 months from when it was green-lighted for production until the first cars were produced.

For Camaro, it was green-lighted in August 2006.
Production will start in November 2008.
That's 26 months.
And seeing as they did not have a chassis to build the car on or a plant to build the car in, that is amazingly fast.

FWIW... Dodge Challenger was green-lighted in July 2006.
Production starts on it in March 2008.
That's 20 months, but they used an existing chassis, an existing assembly plant, and a TON of parts-bin parts, and it still costs $40,000.

Just putting things in perspective. :)

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Concept to production is often a flawed time-frame because work does not actually begin on a car until it's green-lighted for production.

Take the Pontiac Solstice for example...
It was 4 years from when we first saw the concept car until it was produced.
However it was just 19 months from when it was green-lighted for production until the first cars were produced.

For Camaro, it was green-lighted in August 2006.
Production will start in November 2008.
That's 26 months.
And seeing as they did not have a chassis to build the car on or a plant to build the car in, that is amazingly fast.

FWIW... Dodge Challenger was green-lighted in July 2006.
Production starts on it in March 2008.
That's 20 months, but they used an existing chassis, an existing assembly plant, and a TON of parts-bin parts, and it still costs $40,000.

Just putting things in perspective. :)
Well stated Tim - I concur :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think its feels longer because of the original concept cad drawings that seemed to spark this whole thing came out in 2004 or 2005 didn't it?

Either way, better late than never. It's going to crush them all when it does get here.

·
Registered
146 Posts
...and if I remember right he was a 19 year old college student. I remember there being such a buzz about them, I even remember saying "If GM built that car, I'd buy one!" A few years later the GM concept was released, close but different in its own rights.

Wonder if he's working for GM now? :cool:

·
Registered
181 Posts
My personal though on it is I wish the Camaro would come out sooner, not because I want it (which I do), but because there are too many Rustangs running around unchecked, and the sooner the Camaro comes out, the better... but I'm all for it getting done right and waiting my turn. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
My personal though on it is I wish the Camaro would come out sooner, not because I want it (which I do), but because there are too many Rustangs running around unchecked, and the sooner the Camaro comes out, the better... but I'm all for it getting done right and waiting my turn. :rolleyes:

It would be nice to take over a few stoplights from the blue ovals from time to time :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
It would be nice to take over a few stoplights from the blue ovals from time to time :cool:
I never seem to find any for the taking :lol:. They avoid me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts