Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
ummm well we are looking at the G8 then making the comparison. since bascially ( correct me if im wrong someone) the camaro's "form" is out in the g8 and some other car.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Target weight is 1200lbs. Pff. On the moon. But like Octane said about GM watching the weight, Im sure GM is behaving like a teenage girl right before the fitting of the prom dress.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Whatever happened to fiberglass? My 94 Vette is fiberglass, and I don't really see the problem with it. If you dent a car, fiberglass or metal, it's gonna cost you to fix it. Fiberglass doesn't rust, and the weight savings are the main gain. I'm just wondering why more cars haven't gone with fiberglass.

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
The problem with fiberglass and plastic is that it expands and contracts with the temperature changes significantly more than metal does.
So for tighter body panel gaps and better quality appearance, alot of cars are switching back to metal.
Steel is the metal of choice too, because it's strong.
Aluminum has been used in the past too, and while it's lighter, it's alot softer of a metal, so it dents alot easier.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Fiberglass belongs on boats, not cars! :D

:p

My friend's Saturn is one of those plastic ones. Can't even tell just looking at it, I had to ask him which parts were plastic and which ones were metal. He didn't even know 100%. :p

·
I paid $5 for this title!
645 Posts
Muscle cars kinda' deserve some proper steel. All the requirements to make a car street-legal mess with the end weight greatly, though.

Oh well, I have faith in GM on this one.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Curb weight of the 2006 Mustang GT 3613. My 1991 LX notch was only 2980. Why are cars getting heavier?!! they should be lighter. Lighter = better fuel economy. The new camaro should not weigh more than 3100 IMO.. but it will prolly come in at 3600-3700.

Hey Mr Lutz!! Every 100 lb reduction = .1 in the 1/4

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
If I remember correctly my 68 camaro weighed 32 or 3300 lbs. All metal.
The C6 corvette weighs around 3200 lbs. It definitely wont weigh less than the vette, especially if it has the same motor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Fiberglass belongs on boats, not cars! :D

:p

My friend's Saturn is one of those plastic ones. Can't even tell just looking at it, I had to ask him which parts were plastic and which ones were metal. He didn't even know 100%. :p

My parents had a Saturn with the plastic doors. When comparing to metal body panels, the gaps in the plastic body panels are huge to compensate for when the temps change. When looking at the gaps between metal parts and plastic parts, it was very obvious which was which. The plastic contributed to a less than clean look IMO. ;)

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Eh, my buddy's beat up little 4 banger (with no power steering, was fun learning to drive a stick in that thing)..was made back when ALL GM vehicles had horrible gaps. :p The late 90's.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.