Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know that for the v8 already has a supercharger waiting to get it up to 500+. but is there any thing for me to catch up to a v8 or even spank my friends evo:patriot:

·
Registered
318 Posts
I assume you mean for the new one? Well.. Considering most engine mods for the CTS should fit on the V6 Camaro, since it IS the same engine.. CAI, Tune, under drive pulley... Probably a turbo setup not too far off. Exhaust, maybe, if someone can get a good sounding 6er exhaust.

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
cost..maybe the cost of buying a V6 and modding it will be cheaper to some..starting with 300HP is tempting to play with.

·
Registered
61 Posts
cost..maybe the cost of buying a V6 and modding it will be cheaper to some..starting with 300HP is tempting to play with.

I don't know when you factor in the costs to start getting some HP out of the V6 I'd be thinking about the V8 for sure.

Also if your intrested in using the Camaro for basic transportation then get the V6 for sure, btu if your intrested in the "muscle" car aspect of it, then save alittle more and get the V8

Modding the V6 is like going only half the way.

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
yes and no..I know some people like myself who have a Z28 for the as you put it muscle car side. But also own a V6 stang and add a little to it each year.
For fun I would do a V6 Camaro and add a little to it each year. If projected 22K for a V6 with 300HP would be nice..and adding a few things like a tune and what not cat back and CAI..you got yourself a quick little V6. and there is already a market with like said the CTS's stuff. And some of them are running very fast.. :D
It would be cool to have something not of the same sometimes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
yes and no..I know some people like myself who have a Z28 for the as you put it muscle car side. But also own a V6 stang and add a little to it each year.
For fun I would do a V6 Camaro and add a little to it each year. If projected 22K for a V6 with 300HP would be nice..and adding a few things like a tune and what not cat back and CAI..you got yourself a quick little V6. and there is already a market with like said the CTS's stuff. And some of them are running very fast.. :D
It would be cool to have something not of the same sometimes.

That's ture it's cool all the time to do things differently, I guess if there's a market all ready for parts for the V6. Now I'm thinking the V6 would be cool with some sort of twin turbo setup, that would be cool.

On another note if GM ever comes to market with the turbo4 with 260 hp I could see alot of people modding that motor as well.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
First off, welcome to the forums, Robertod. :hello:

I like the idea of a hi-po V6. Considering the base we're starting with, there's a lot of potential. I would imagine a 5psi roots style supercharger, headers, a good cat-back exhaust and tune would add a ton of grunt to the 3.6DI.:roxor:

That would put you close to very reliable 400rwhp!

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
My only concern about boosting the DI 3.6, would be its high compression ratio. Its outside my comfort zone even if it direct injected. If the V6 were to be boosted, I would install lower compression pistons. But then again thats a pretty penny and most people would just get the SS to begin with.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Not really knowing alot about boosting an engine but the V6 DI sounds to me that its been sqeezed for about all its worth in current form and woulb be scared to "bolt" on much more.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Given that they don't even recommend premium for it; I'd expect there's plenty of wiggle-room for boost. The Direct Injection cools the charge some, and it doesn't spray until just before ignition. So for the most part, it's just compressing air, which isn't really a bad thing if you put some more in(5-8lbs, like usual). DI is a whole different animal...

To say the least, I think the aftermarket for the V6 car -especially power adders- is going to be very interesting to watch.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think it would be really beneficial for GM to present options for people to mod a V-6. A lot of people can't throw down all the cash necessary for a V-8, but to buy a V-6 with the potential to trick it out somewhere down the line when their finances are more stable would probably boost sales for GM.

I spoke with someone (who isn't into cars) who said they would get a V-6 for the fuel economy/appearance/features, and then add a supercharger/turbo later when they can afford to lose some fuel efficiency (I know, that is probably mathematically silly, my only point is this guy is probably close to an average consumer).

Another thing is insurance costs. I'm pretty sure a V-6 Camaro would have less expensive rates, which would make adding an aftermarket supercharger/turbo a great option for a 17 year old.

Sorry for rambling :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thank you everybody for your inputs

i probably should have put the reason why i want the v6, but everybody hit the nail on the head. i am only 17 so insurance is a big factor including gas and a lot more. if i can get it to a 10 sec car ill be more than happy. :roxor: If i got a v8 it would be strictly for racing cause of the price of gas. :BangHead: so like you have all put in perspective i like to turn heads but i also like some speed. i got plenty more time to buy the 6thgen for racing puposes.:patriot::bowdown::nutkick:

·
Registered
318 Posts
I understand you're young, and everything, and a V6 may be the way to go for you, but imo, a V6 will never, ever ever > a V8. Ever. It can have 1200rwhp and be street legal and I still won't take it as a threat. Because I know for a fact that if I did the same thing to my SS\RS, I'd be making 1600whp, and running 4's. :p

·
Registered
42 Posts
I understand you're young, and everything, and a V6 may be the way to go for you, but imo, a V6 will never, ever ever > a V8. Ever. It can have 1200rwhp and be street legal and I still won't take it as a threat. Because I know for a fact that if I did the same thing to my SS\RS, I'd be making 1600whp, and running 4's. :p
Famous last words of the majority of the people who underestimated one of my customer's V6 Mustang. Tom Morana built stroker engine, no turbos or superchargers need apply, the only power adder he really has is nitrous which he only sprays at the track. The cage in the car is the only give-away something is different about this V6 and it's only there because of his times on the strip.

So if you are in Charlotte, NC and pull up next to a silver SN-95 V6 Mustang with a slightly strange exhaust note, don't try it, you will just embarrass yourself.

It is also your sentiment that caused Jack Clifford to pick an inline 6 cylinder engine over a V8 in 1963 and you know what happened? Jack did not lose a single race in the NHRA L/Stock class in 1963, going on to become the undefeated champion. All of the engines that raced in that class were stock, not even headers, stock. In 1964, Ford grabbed him to lead the way to beat Chevrolet's Chevaire team, which were using 327s. Jack again took his flat-head inline 6 and led Ford to a manufacturer's win in 1964. The legend passed away in 2001, but his spirit and desire to be different from the rest lives on in others today.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ever hear of a car called a Toyota Supra? V6 with a single turbo upgrade and various mods = 1 fast Mo'Fo vehicle.....................

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
when i become more stable

when i get the income to buy a v8 its going to be mine but till then ill just get so hp to get me from point a to point b. plus if i can breack some neck while driving down the road ill be happy:rotflmao::cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
the fact is that an RS V6 camaro with 300hp, is a great idea for the general. gas miliage and mild performance all in one. if you figure the numbers; a v6 camaro should run door to door with a mustang GT. i personaly belive that it will be a blast to drive. :roxor:

a V6 that redlines at 7K... can we say 350Z.

BUT, iam still getting an SS:D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts