Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
[X]

180,000 miles is a lot for any car. The fact that it's a Corvette would make me think that a lot of those might be hard miles.

I'd find out exactly when that tranny was rebuilt.

I'd give him $1000 for it, And I'm being serious.

But an Auto Corvette? Hmmm...

EDIT: I just realized you live in CA, so that would explain the high mileage, but it's a Corvette so Corvette miles are still going to be different than Cavalier Miles.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The body looks good except for that passenger side fender. The seller doesn't list why the fender is the way it is, and I'm wondering if something didn't hit it because on the other side is a large crack also.

180,000 miles is a lot for any car. The fact that it's a Corvette would make me think that a lot of those might be hard miles.

I'd find out exactly when that tranny was rebuilt.

I'd give him $1000 for it, And I'm being serious.

But an Auto Corvette? Hmmm...

EDIT: I just realized you live in CA, so that would explain the high mileage, but it's a Corvette so Corvette miles are still going to be different than Cavalier Miles.
It says the hood had about a 6" crack in the fiberglass but he had it fixed and primered...

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
80s c4s were horrible cars enough said...they were poorly built remember thats the era of chevetes, and citations lol oh and fieros not a good era for GM
Not trying to hijack this thread but just wondering, how better/worse was the quality for an equivalent year 3rd-gen camaro?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I won't take it if it was free. 80's Vettes are junk, and with 180 on it, your friend is asking for trouble.

·
Registered
402 Posts
By looking at the ad, it may be worth$3,300.00, but, as with any used car, your friend should go and physically inspect it. It's the little critical details that would turn this car into a money pit. :eek: Like sdoomxz stated, it wasn't GM's best era for making cars. It would be comparable to the era when Harley-Davidson was owned by AMF. :lol:

Miles are measurements of distance. I would be very concerned as to how it was maintained over the last 22 years! Plus it depends on what your friend was looking to do with the car. If it's just something to kick it in, have a fun time with, or a project car; then it might not be a bad idea. If he's looking at it as an investment, good luck. I hope that he knows a person, or shop that has good fiberglassing skills! Hope his pockets are fairly deep! Parts aren't going to be cheap. :lol: Good luck to him! ;)

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I'd be just as worried about insurance as maintenance.. that was my primary reason for not getting an IROC-Z Camaro from the same year as my supra.. Otherwise the camaro would've been my first choice. :thumbsup:

(i know irocs aren't all that fast, but i love the way they look)

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
My friend wants to buy a 4th gen vette and he wanted me to ask you guys if this was a good deal.
CLICK!
There is some good advice in this thread :D

The price is right for that car according to the description.
Not a safe assumption to think those were 180K hard miles, I know quite a few people who travel state to state in their Corvettes and they are VERY well taken care of.

That stated, 180K is alot, as long as the maint has been maintaned as he states in the ad, the car is priced right.

Example: KBB goes back to 1989. The same car in 1989 should be worth $4,300 in FAIR condition. Using this as a guideline, their asking price is not out of line. As usual, it is an asking price. Offering $1,000 is simply ridiculous, but offer less than asking for sure :cool:

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
There is some good advice in this thread :D

The price is right for that car according to the description.
Not a safe assumption to think those were 180K hard miles, I know quite a few people who travel state to state in their Corvettes and they are VERY well taken care of.

That stated, 180K is alot, as long as the maint has been maintaned as he states in the ad, the car is priced right.

Example: KBB goes back to 1989. The same car in 1989 should be worth $4,300 in FAIR condition. Using this as a guideline, their asking price is not out of line. As usual, it is an asking price. Offering $1,000 is simply ridiculous, but offer less than asking for sure :cool:
I agree with what your saying, however, in my personal experience, when I look at cars...Since, obviously I like old and sh1tty cars, I always assume the miles are hard. That way I get a better idea of the car. I rather play it more safe than sorry and think those 180k miles are easy (Which they could be, the body is in great shape).

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd be just as worried about insurance as maintenance.. that was my primary reason for not getting an IROC-Z Camaro from the same year as my supra.. Otherwise the camaro would've been my first choice. :thumbsup:

(i know irocs aren't all that fast, but i love the way they look)
Insurance is gonna be roughly $1k a year

not bad

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
700r4s give out RELIABLY at 200K miles. If he's not a mechanic, your regular mechanic is going to charge a $500 premium on any labor simply because it's a Corvette.

IMO C4s weren't worth owning until about 1990 or whenever it was they updated the appearance appearance and added the LT1...Of course, the early LT1s had some serious Optispark problems.

That white convertible looks like a good deal.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts