Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
THE FBODFATHER
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was four years ago today...........

.......at the North American International Autoshow in Detroit --

-- That Chevrolet unveiled the Camaro Concept to the world.

Many of our fellow Camaro/Firebird Enthusiasts were invited to Detroit to be a part of the unveiling -- and as they can tell you, the Camaro Concept stole the show.

I'll never forget watching the faces of so many as the Silver Concept made its way out onto the stage - and then down the aisle -- surrounded by thousands of cheering men and women......

I'll never forget watching a few Chrysler Executives walking over to the Camaro -- and one saying -- (very simply) "Ouch...."

It was a great day to be a Camaro guy or gal.......and my email inbox filled very quickly with comments.

And nearly every message was the same: "BUILD IT!"

followed by "...and it had BETTER look like the concept!!! Don't you DARE screw it up!!!!"

I know January 9th, 2006 was a day I will never forget --

Eight months later, in August of 2006, we announced (in front of Camaro/Firebird Enthusiasts at the General Motors Technical Center) that we had just 'green-lighted' the Camaro - and that it would go into production in the 2010 model year.

We started work in earnest in September of that year --

Fast forward to today, January 9, 2010 -- and our dreams have been realized.

I'm sitting in the Chevy Exhibit as workers frantically rush around getting ready for NAIAS 2010 -- and I'm looking at some Camaros on the floor -- and I still have "Perma-Grin"................

For the seventh month in a row, the new Camaro has outsold Mustang and Challenger combined........

.........and while I want to recognize the date, January 9, 2006 -------

..........I guess I REALLY want to say 'Thank You' --once again (and I can never do it enough) -- for "Keepin' the Faith" --

It would have been very easy for many of you to simply "abandon ship" --

But you didn't.........

Yes, Camaro went on 'Hiatus'...........

-- and when it did, a peculiar thing happened:

Camaro Enthusiast Events continued to be held -- (and many of you put thousands of hours into bringing us memorable times together....) -- and attendance increased!

-- and Websites continued to support us -- (...and I must thank Jason Debler and Chris Frezza for 15 years of hard work in bringing us CamaroZ28.com) -- (...and Jason Ory and his group for a decade of hard work at Z28.com) -- and then there are the hundreds of other Camaro and Camaro/Firebird sites...........

And of course, your letters and emails continued to flood into GM Headquarters -- making it clear that we MUST build a 5th gen.........

Does every Camaro enthusiast love the new Camaro? .....no, I'm afraid not -- but those that don't are in the minority. Frankly, no matter what design we would have chosen, we know that not everyone's gonna love what they see.

But what DOES let me know that the new Camaro hit it's mark is simply this: When you drive the new Camaro, the public treats it like a Rock Star - nearly a YEAR after they hit the road -- and 4 years since the Concept was unveiled.

-- and then there are the emails and notes we continue to receive from those who have just taken delivery of a new Camaro........telling us how much they love their new Camaro........and how many of them have become so emotionally attached to their new Camaro..............

In fact, the new Camaro has spurred a whole host of "New" Camaro sites - "moderncamaro.com" "5thgen.org" and "camaro5.com" to name just to name a few......bringing us a whole 'new' set of Camaro enthusiasts............

So...........on behalf of "Team Camaro" --

..........Thank You -- Thank You -- Thank You --

.................for all you've done for this Legendary Brand...........

........and know that "We aren't done yet!" -- there is much more to come.....................

Now - -go hug your Camaro!

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
...and what an incredible journey it has been. thank you, Scott, so very much for being the sounding board for enthusiasts even though i know sometimes you wanted to climb the walls. i still can't thank you enough for involving all of us disciples in the process too. and thanks to you and everyone at GM for hitting this one out of the park and bringing us a Camaro that truly is a celebrity and a legend in its own right. i'm gonna go hug the Bee now ;)

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I remember watching the webcast at work...OMG! I fell in love and shorted out the keyboard with drool....

I KNEW we'd have one, but was trying to hold out for a convertible. Didn't make it...shucks! :)

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
I remember watching it on my computer. I was just about to leave for boot camp and I remember calling my dad over to watch the camaro with me.

I drooled for a long time, and still do. I point them out to my wife every time we drive my by one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Scott,
I remember meeting you at the press release of the new camaro in Dallas that the North Texas F-body association was invited to. I had you sign the prototype poster and you asked "will you be buying a new camaro if we make one?"

Well I bought not only 1 but 2 so far. Sadly the first was taken in a total loss insurance claim but after much reflection on the car that we had owned for 3 months, we decided there wasn't another car we'd want.

Thank you for seeing this through and pushing the project through to production!

I'll enjoy the next as much as the first as soon as it arrives!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Being a 1st and 2nd gen owner I had always wanted to get a new one once the kids where out of the house so I did not have to share. Now there is one at my home and I am not sharing it except for all the waves and thumbs up I get when I drive it. There are more and more on the rode but I still feel part of an exclusive club of proud CAMARO owners.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Does every Camaro enthusiast love the new Camaro? .....no, I'm afraid not -- but those that don't are in the minority. Frankly, no matter what design we would have chosen, we know that not everyone's gonna love what they see.
While I do not love every part of the new Camaro (mostly that ugly roof-pimple for the OnStar/XM), how could anyone who calls themselves a Camaro enthusiast not be excited that we have, once again, another Camaro available in Chevrolet showrooms?! :cool:

I am a Camaro owner "on hiatus," but I still get excited when I log into these forums (several times a day), see a Camaro going down the road (very rare this time of year in Pittsburgh), or head over to chevrolet.com (albeit, Ford's site is cleaner and easier to navigate) and build my "dream" 5th gen. I can't wait until I have my fifth Camaro in my garage; emphasis on garage, as that is what my hold up is -- we've yet to buy a house in the "Red Planet" :cool:

·
Registered
51 Posts
And from us......it was 4 years ago that you and the Camaro team helped us to keep the faith and showed us that are dedication and trust was warranted........

and we are so pleased with the success of the Camaro.........

and keeping the faith for the 'vert!!!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I remember that day.. My family esp. my father was like oh no.. Thats going to be another car he gets.. lol..

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Your story produced a tear of joy! I'll be sure to give my Camaro a hug in the morning. The temp has already dropped before 30 and I have a detached garage. Thanks for the great recollection of a historic Chevy event.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts