1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MODERNCAMARO
JUNE MEMBER/CAMARO OF THE MONTH

RS_2LT_SummitWhite11

Congratulations RS_2LT_SummitWhite11! You are the June Member/Car of the Month here at ModernCamaro.com

This was quite a surprise and unexpected! Thanks to those who voted for me!

We all want to know a little more about you and your Camaro so I have a few questions for you...
Will you share with us what began your love for cars and/or the Camaro specifically?

It all started when I was a kid growing up. My father worked for DuPont in Auto Finish Sales and was very involved in the car world. He would take me to World of Wheels, Hot Rod Show World etc… During that time period, the show Knight Rider was all the rage and it was then that I actually fell in love with the 3rd Gen FBody’s.

From that point on, it wasn’t until I was in college my parents had given me a 1992 Pontiac Sunbird passed on from my sister to drive during my college days. I drove it for a while and later wanted to trade it in for what I truly wanted. My parents wouldn’t have it and I went ahead and purchased a 1989 IROC-Z vert against their wishes. Once they found out I had a second vehicle, they were relived to find out I wasn’t involved in anything else. I then later sold the Sunbird with their permission and drove the IROC for a while.

I then traded the 89 IROC or a 1992 RS coupe hardtop with a 6 cylinder since I was moving to Rochester, New York from Alabama to transfer to another college. I wanted something that was more suitable for the harsh winters I was about to face as well as not having to worry about the lake effect snow collapsing the roof of the vert. At the same time I wanted to save as much $$ on gas and insurance. I drove this car for a while and it was hell driving through all the lake effect snow during those years!

I later decided that the 92 RS did not have enough power. It was embarrassing enough that the car only put out 140hp. It was also a good time to get rid of it since the transmission had been replaced and the engine started to go as well. I didn’t want to dump any more money into it. I sold the RS and purchased a 1987 Corvette vert. I loved this car!

The Corvette needed some work and the brutal winters didn’t help any. I spent 11 years restoring it inside out. I was broke during this time period while all my friends were out partying and getting in all kinds of trouble. Yet here I was, at home working on it in my garage enjoying the restoration process. It was then I became mechanically inclined on my own and knew this car like the back of my hand. This car was fun to drive in the snow and yet hell at the same time! I went through tires frequently and it was expensive! I was able to get a 97 Blazer 4x4 to drive during the winters while the Vette was in hibernation during those brutal months.

Once I graduated from college I moved to Atlanta, Georgia and was only there for 2 years. During the first year there, I experienced a heavy downpour during the night and came out to find that the inside of the Corvette was flooded with water. I had all kinds of electrical gremlins occur and the battery kept shorting out and dying overnight. I had to disconnect the battery when parked overnight then reconnect in the morning when I had to go somewhere. This became old fast – in which I posted it for sale/trade for a later model IROC-Z or Pontiac GTA Firebird on Craigslist in the Atlanta area. You wouldn’t believe the offers I received on it. It went from houseboats to oversized 4x4’s to trailers and so on! None of these things interested me.

I then finally came across another fellow on Craigslist wanting another project car in trade straight out for his 1987 IROC-Z T-top coupe. He restored it inside out. It had the 350 5.7l TPI. This car hauled butt! Loved it! Yet I was sad to see the Vette go. During this same time period, I sold the 97 Blazer and later purchased a 2nd Gen Nissan Xterra.

Please share with us the story behind your 5th Gen Camaro?

The 1987 IROC later got to the point that things were breaking here and there that it was becoming a money pit. In my opinion, these cars were not designed to be driven daily as they age. Although I do have another daily driver, I also didn’t have a garage at that time to keep up with the IROC and still don’t today since we live in a townhouse down here in South Florida. My wife was getting tired of the problems occurring and she made a suggestion to get rid of it for a 5th Gen Camaro. It was then we traded it in for a 2011 Summit White 2LT. Hopefully we will be able to sell our townhouse and purchase a house with a garage soon!

How did you discover ModernCamaro.com and what has kept you here?

Since I frequented different forums during my college days to now– I did a search online for the 5th Gen Camaros and came across this site. Been here since and had no desire to join any of the other Camaro forums.

And finally, do you have anything you'd like to add to the ModernCamaro.com members or anyone else reading this interview?

My uncle who passed away during my college years was a Harley guy. He once told me never to get rid of my toy or passion otherwise it would be difficult to get back. This somehow became my way of thinking and is still with me today. I currently have two children and my wife is now expecting. My children have been involved with my car hobby since I had the Corvette and now they enjoy the new Camaro. Although my daughter complains the smell of leather gives her headaches! Ha! This Camaro and car hobby is something that will be here to stay for a long time to come. I have no plans to get rid of it and luckily we have an SUV on the side to ride in with the family. I suggest that others hold onto their toy or passion for as long as they can. Life is short – may as well enjoy everything you can now. Never know what life will throw at you.

·
Premium Member
4,378 Posts
Congrats! Great write up, well deserved in my opinion.:thumbsup:

·
Support MC & Troops
11,799 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
MODERNCAMARO
JUNE MEMBER/CAMARO OF THE MONTH

RS_2LT_SummitWhite11

Congratulations RS_2LT_SummitWhite11! You are the June Member/Car of the Month here at ModernCamaro.com

This was quite a surprise and unexpected! Thanks to those who voted for me!

We all want to know a little more about you and your Camaro so I have a few questions for you...
Will you share with us what began your love for cars and/or the Camaro specifically?

It all started when I was a kid growing up. My father worked for DuPont in Auto Finish Sales and was very involved in the car world. He would take me to World of Wheels, Hot Rod Show World etc… During that time period, the show Knight Rider was all the rage and it was then that I actually fell in love with the 3rd Gen FBody’s.

From that point on, it wasn’t until I was in college my parents had given me a 1992 Pontiac Sunbird passed on from my sister to drive during my college days. I drove it for a while and later wanted to trade it in for what I truly wanted. My parents wouldn’t have it and I went ahead and purchased a 1989 IROC-Z vert against their wishes. Once they found out I had a second vehicle, they were relived to find out I wasn’t involved in anything else. I then later sold the Sunbird with their permission and drove the IROC for a while.

I then traded the 89 IROC or a 1992 RS coupe hardtop with a 6 cylinder since I was moving to Rochester, New York from Alabama to transfer to another college. I wanted something that was more suitable for the harsh winters I was about to face as well as not having to worry about the lake effect snow collapsing the roof of the vert. At the same time I wanted to save as much $$ on gas and insurance. I drove this car for a while and it was hell driving through all the lake effect snow during those years!

I later decided that the 92 RS did not have enough power. It was embarrassing enough that the car only put out 140hp. It was also a good time to get rid of it since the transmission had been replaced and the engine started to go as well. I didn’t want to dump any more money into it. I sold the RS and purchased a 1987 Corvette vert. I loved this car!

The Corvette needed some work and the brutal winters didn’t help any. I spent 11 years restoring it inside out. I was broke during this time period while all my friends were out partying and getting in all kinds of trouble. Yet here I was, at home working on it in my garage enjoying the restoration process. It was then I became mechanically inclined on my own and knew this car like the back of my hand. This car was fun to drive in the snow and yet hell at the same time! I went through tires frequently and it was expensive! I was able to get a 97 Blazer 4x4 to drive during the winters while the Vette was in hibernation during those brutal months.

Once I graduated from college I moved to Atlanta, Georgia and was only there for 2 years. During the first year there, I experienced a heavy downpour during the night and came out to find that the inside of the Corvette was flooded with water. I had all kinds of electrical gremlins occur and the battery kept shorting out and dying overnight. I had to disconnect the battery when parked overnight then reconnect in the morning when I had to go somewhere. This became old fast – in which I posted it for sale/trade for a later model IROC-Z or Pontiac GTA Firebird on Craigslist in the Atlanta area. You wouldn’t believe the offers I received on it. It went from houseboats to oversized 4x4’s to trailers and so on! None of these things interested me.

I then finally came across another fellow on Craigslist wanting another project car in trade straight out for his 1987 IROC-Z T-top coupe. He restored it inside out. It had the 350 5.7l TPI. This car hauled butt! Loved it! Yet I was sad to see the Vette go. During this same time period, I sold the 97 Blazer and later purchased a 2nd Gen Nissan Xterra.

Please share with us the story behind your 5th Gen Camaro?

The 1987 IROC later got to the point that things were breaking here and there that it was becoming a money pit. In my opinion, these cars were not designed to be driven daily as they age. Although I do have another daily driver, I also didn’t have a garage at that time to keep up with the IROC and still don’t today since we live in a townhouse down here in South Florida. My wife was getting tired of the problems occurring and she made a suggestion to get rid of it for a 5th Gen Camaro. It was then we traded it in for a 2011 Summit White 2LT. Hopefully we will be able to sell our townhouse and purchase a house with a garage soon!

How did you discover ModernCamaro.com and what has kept you here?

Since I frequented different forums during my college days to now– I did a search online for the 5th Gen Camaros and came across this site. Been here since and had no desire to join any of the other Camaro forums.

And finally, do you have anything you'd like to add to the ModernCamaro.com members or anyone else reading this interview?

My uncle who passed away during my college years was a Harley guy. He once told me never to get rid of my toy or passion otherwise it would be difficult to get back. This somehow became my way of thinking and is still with me today. I currently have two children and my wife is now expecting. My children have been involved with my car hobby since I had the Corvette and now they enjoy the new Camaro. Although my daughter complains the smell of leather gives her headaches! Ha! This Camaro and car hobby is something that will be here to stay for a long time to come. I have no plans to get rid of it and luckily we have an SUV on the side to ride in with the family. I suggest that others hold onto their toy or passion for as long as they can. Life is short – may as well enjoy everything you can now. Never know what life will throw at you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I didn't know that the camaro came with options like the Vette, 1lt,2lt,3lt, I'm asking because I have a 2012 corvette Z06, but In my case it's 1LZ,2LZ, etc, etc. That's cool that you guys have that option. Nice freaking Camaro, good luck with it.
Regards,
JM

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Wow, didn't realize I hadn't posted on here ... CONGRATS!!!!! Some very good advice at the end there

·
Registered
36 Posts
How do you become member of the month?

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
How do you become member of the month?
Here are the rules from the Voting and Submissions thread

All nominations must meet the following qualifications:

1. Must own a Camaro
2. Must be a member of ModernCamaro.com
3. Should be helpful and friendly around the forums
4. Must be at least semi active on the site on any boards...i.e. posting at least 4 times a month for the past 3 months
5. Must be willing to provide a picture of themselves with their Camaro to post on the front page
6. Must be willing to be interviewed because the write up will be placed on the homepage here at ModernCamaro.com

Only one (1) nomination will be allowed per site user each month.
*If a member has already been a Member of the Month in the past, please do not nominate them again.
Here is a list of all the previous winners: Member/Car of the Month Winners

Multiple nominations of the same member ARE allowed and encouraged...as is any discussion from a user as to why a nomination was made.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Thanks for the kind comments everyone. :hello:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts