Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an email today linking to a thread on a different forum regarding the possibility that L99 cars that are filled with 87 octane gas for the initial fill up may not be able to recalibrate themselves to higher octane gas.
It appears to direct you to removing and reinstalling two fuses, and there are numerous people that have tried this and swear by it.
Since I really have no idea what gas went into my tank, and even though my sales manager was extremely great, I don't really see a payoff in asking him what went in the car originally.

With 810 miles on my car, I'm very happy with the 0-60 acceleration.
However, I'm not happy with the response when I'm going 20-25 and I punch it.
There is a lag that I don't like.
Anyone have any thoughts on what GM should do about this as far as a permanent fix? I see posts about it possibly being a faulty knock sensor.
Has anyone else tried the fuse reinstall?

·
Registered
24 Posts
That big lag is called a factory automatic transmission. Better airflow and exhaust, along with a tune will get rid of most of that though.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
YUP...I've read those thread. A LOT of A6 owners reported that this helped. It's got nothing to do with the trans...the way it's geared, it should jump off the line.

It certainly can't hurt anything...worth a try...pull the #5 and #20 fuses from the engine compartment fuse box. Let it sit overnight...replace fuses and drive it like you stole it. (also helps if you run super unleaded and not the crap your dealer probably put in).

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just hit your post on page 15 of that thread... :lol:

I'll try it this weekend. I wouldn't say I was disappointed, because I've really felt all along I was in "break in".
I am convinced though I got a tank of 87, and I'm excited that maybe the car will be even better. :eek:

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Just hit your post on page 15 of that thread... :lol:

I'll try it this weekend. I wouldn't say I was disappointed, because I've really felt all along I was in "break in".
I am convinced though I got a tank of 87, and I'm excited that maybe the car will be even better. :eek:

Yeah...it's unfortunate this has happened, but the results are well-documented, so hopefully it'll help you. If not, if it were my car, I'd be getting it tuned (which can make the A6 sooooo much better anyway).:thumbsup:

·
8,984 Posts
It's called the l99, totally different bird.

Do some searching.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks PF. :thumbsup:

Here's one of the most glowing reports I saw....

"Ok, I am here to report the results of my 5/20 fuse yank over night.

WOWSERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Before with my L99, no wheel spin with TC on....and good acceleration. Now, a good hard chirp off the line, and a mild chirp hitting second....and balls to the wall improvement right thru 110 mph, when I had to back off.

Then, I took the T/C off...and had MONDO rubber burns....LOL, that could get expensive.....but wow what a difference, particularly right at the launch. Much more responsive and authoritative shifts.....I am impressed.

Car has only 550 miles...so she is still breaking in obviously.

For ME, this was a grand slam, thanks guys!"

·
8,984 Posts
Awesome news!!!!!!

How did they figure it out?

Would unhooking the battery do the same thing?

What are 5 and 20 fuses? Er what do they go to?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
YUP...I've read those thread. A LOT of A6 owners reported that this helped. It's got nothing to do with the trans...the way it's geared, it should jump off the line.

It certainly can't hurt anything...worth a try...pull the #5 and #20 fuses from the engine compartment fuse box. Let it sit overnight...replace fuses and drive it like you stole it. (also helps if you run super unleaded and not the crap your dealer probably put in).
dumb question but you put back the same fuse that came out right? My car feels crazy fast but shes not burning them up off the line but im not really trying due to the fact she has 89 miles on it, so basically run all the gas out of her and put in the good stuff which all my cars except the saturn get pull the fuses sit overnight and im good to go right

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes. They're putting the same two fuses back in after leaving them out all night.
Disconnecting the battery does not have the same affect.

I doubt it will be considered kosher to link the thread here, but the whole story is best read instead of blindly going into it.

:thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Awesome news!!!!!!

How did they figure it out?

Would unhooking the battery do the same thing?

What are 5 and 20 fuses? Er what do they go to?

see what you miss when you get banned???:lol: :p

Here's the cliffsnotes...someone's L99 was a serious TURD (like 0-60 in 9 sec's)...brought it to GM's attention...had it looked at...software engineers told him this is a work-around. I imagine it's now (or will be) a PCM update for the L99's. Basically the problem was that if the computer adjusts for 87 octane, it can't correct itself for higher octane...so all the settings are basically more conservative. The #5 and #20 fuses are for the ECU. This resets the computer. You could also disconnect the battery, but you'll loose all your settings in the car.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
dumb question but you put back the same fuse that came out right? My car feels crazy fast but shes not burning them up off the line but im not really trying due to the fact she has 89 miles on it, so basically run all the gas out of her and put in the good stuff which all my cars except the saturn get pull the fuses sit overnight and im good to go right
you did try it w/ traction control off...right?

It does seem to rev a bit more "freely" once you get some miles on it...I noticed it around 600.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
you did try it w/ traction control off...right?

It does seem to rev a bit more "freely" once you get some miles on it...I noticed it around 600.
yes she gripped great and took off like a bat out of hell. I didnt really try to burn em up I want to break her in first before I start getting on her for real ,, Im happy as could be, I got her in the middle of my work week so she has been going back and fouth to the train yard with no real good cruise time yet, cant wait for saturday going to try to get the 69 together with the 10 for a photoshoot,, sounds intersting to try but she doesnt seem like a pig at all

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes she gripped great and took off like a bat out of hell. I didnt really try to burn em up I want to break her in first before I start getting on her for real ,, Im happy as could be, I got her in the middle of my work week so she has been going back and fouth to the train yard with no real good cruise time yet, cant wait for saturday going to try to get the 69 together with the 10 for a photoshoot,, sounds intersting to try but she doesnt seem like a pig at all
You just got your car.
This had come up by the end of August.

GM may not be putting 87 in at the factory any more, or done something else by this point.
Some of these people had vins under 10,000

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
You just got your car.
This had come up by the end of August.

GM may not be putting 87 in at the factory any more, or done something else by this point.
Some of these people had vins under 10,000
I would hope they updated the factory ECU programming to fix the problem (after it was discovered)...but who knows. Worth a try anyway.

Also...a member over there ran 12.99(1/4mile)...totally stock....so the L99/A6's are capable.

·
Registered
470 Posts
With 810 miles on my car, I'm very happy with the 0-60 acceleration.
However, I'm not happy with the response when I'm going 20-25 and I punch it.
There is a lag that I don't like.
Anyone have any thoughts on what GM should do about this as far as a permanent fix? I see posts about it possibly being a faulty knock sensor.
Has anyone else tried the fuse reinstall?
I had that lag at first too, it started to work itself out around 2500 to 3000 miles and now at 5,000+ I don't have it at all.

I also noticed it when I would do a bit of a rolling stop. I really had to feather the gas to avoid a sudden 'jerk' when it kicked in.

-Brad

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
I've worked for a few dealers and we always put 87 in every car no matter what unless the customer came in with a problem that 93 fixed. I used to be the one to fill new cars that came in with gas and was told to use only 87. This was even in turbocharged cars that said premium gas.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Holy crap I'll have to do this tomorrow night.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts