Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys .i have had my 2ss/rs since aug 09 & its been fun having more horses then the mustangs. but when the 5.0 comes its going be close some even say thay are a little faster . i was reading the other day that it will come out with headers.what we need to do is get our game together .i know we got a 6.2 & thay got a 5.0 but do we need to put headers on ours maybe a better air filter this is a war & most of stang owners is smart a!!!! so lets put our heads together & come up with something we can do it

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Already rockin a CAI and cat-back exhaust no way a stang gonna pull on me :lol: then again with their choice in Transmissions they probably wont be going anywhere, :lol: not to mention their motor recall :lol:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The problem is weight.. They are like 800 lbs less then the new 5th gen.. Thats alot. All we need is a diet.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
gears will help keep up with it. intake is always good. catback and headers cant hurt. i did a cam package.mustangs also stop a bit better than the camaro, so maybe stainless steel brake lines and 2 piece slotted rotors. its a bit lighter too so maybe a fiber glass or carbon fiber hood and trunk.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
the only thing the camaro ss needs to keep up with a 2011 mustang gt that has the "track package" and "factory installed rear gears" is the rear gears. the manual tranny SS with 4.10 gears and the automatic tranny SS with 3.73 gears will compete with the fully loaded 2011 GT.

don't let people fool you into saying "Oh the new mustang is so much faster than the camaro!" magazines are biased and the real competition is the driver you are racing against, not the car! a stock camaro can kill a shelby if the camaro driver knows what he is doing and the shelby driver doesn't ;)

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
Who cares? It's still just a rust....mustang. No eye-catching beauty. Bad engines from the factory. Chi-com tranny (transmissions, not the other type) And to wrap it all up.. EVERY SINGLE Ford my wife and I, and my parents have ever owned was a POS and we've had 2 Probes, 1 Ranger, 1 Taurus, 1 Blazer, 1 Sable (still a Ford). After a half dozen vehicles having major issues early in their lives we've had enough of Ford. They make ****ty vehicles.

You can polish as hard as you want, but a turd is still a turd.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The problem is weight.. They are like 800 lbs less then the new 5th gen.. Thats alot. All we need is a diet.:thumbsup:
They are not 800lbs less than a 5th gen. That would mean they are about 3000-3100lbs or so. Which they aren't.
The V8's will be fairly close to the camaros, but still lighter by about 300lbs or so. Options depending.

Straight from Ford's website.
http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2011_Mustang_GT_Specs.pdf

BASE CURB WEIGHT (POUNDS)

GT Coupe:
Manual transmission 3,605 (est.)
Automatic transmission 3,653 (est.)
Weight distribution (f/r) 54/46 (est.)

GT Convertible:
Manual transmission 3,720 (est.)
Automatic transmission 3,770 (est.)
Weight distribution (f/r) 53/47 (est.)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
They are not 800lbs less than a 5th gen. That would mean they are about 3000-3100lbs or so. Which they aren't.
The V8's will be fairly close to the camaros, but still lighter by about 300lbs or so. Options depending.

Straight from Ford's website.
http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2011_Mustang_GT_Specs.pdf

BASE CURB WEIGHT (POUNDS)

GT Coupe:
Manual transmission 3,605 (est.)
Automatic transmission 3,653 (est.)
Weight distribution (f/r) 54/46 (est.)

GT Convertible:
Manual transmission 3,720 (est.)
Automatic transmission 3,770 (est.)
Weight distribution (f/r) 53/47 (est.)
Well, If you got that off the web site then it must be right.. Is that for the new 2011 or 2010? My friend said his weight with a full tank with him out of the car was 3120lbs. And my friends 2SS was 3940lbs with a full tank and no one in the car. The only reason I know this is a fact is that there is a scrape yard near my house and they have drive on scales and they wanted to see the difference because of a bet they had with each other.. I will double check ASAP.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
811 Posts
the only thing the camaro ss needs to keep up with a 2011 mustang gt that has the "track package" and "factory installed rear gears" is the rear gears. the manual tranny SS with 4.10 gears and the automatic tranny SS with 3.73 gears will compete with the fully loaded 2011 GT.

don't let people fool you into saying "Oh the new mustang is so much faster than the camaro!" magazines are biased and the real competition is the driver you are racing against, not the car! a stock camaro can kill a shelby if the camaro driver knows what he is doing and the shelby driver doesn't ;)
Uh....I don't know about that man. Are you referring to the GT500?

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I heard that the 2011 is only about 50lbs heavier than the 2010...regardless of how much it really weighs compared to the 2010...it's a fair threat to your camaros.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
I heard that the 2011 is only about 50lbs heavier than the 2010...regardless of how much it really weighs compared to the 2010...it's a fair threat to your camaros.

we camaro guys get threats from time to time but nothing to worry about especially from mustang.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Who cares? It's still just a rust....mustang. No eye-catching beauty. Bad engines from the factory. Chi-com tranny (transmissions, not the other type) And to wrap it all up.. EVERY SINGLE Ford my wife and I, and my parents have ever owned was a POS and we've had 2 Probes, 1 Ranger, 1 Taurus, 1 Blazer, 1 Sable (still a Ford). After a half dozen vehicles having major issues early in their lives we've had enough of Ford. They make ****ty vehicles.

You can polish as hard as you want, but a turd is still a turd.
Well you must have bad luck then because every single Ford that I have owned (EXP, Crown Vic, Ranger, E350) were great.

I like my Camaro more though. ;)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Just remember....

Most Mustang owner cop an attitude that their cars rule. Like the Ford exec said, a mustang for every person. The GM exec said, Camaro's are not for everyone! I say not everyone can actually DRIVE a car to it's full potential!
So, while they focus on being the best (haha) we can hone our skills.
A real driver in a Camaro will definately outdrive an average Mustang driver.
The live axle makes those cars a handful in turns. Whereas I have done some pretty crazy stuff in my car and it is always planted just like the reviewers say. So, do more track days and keep it safe on the street!
Mustang drivers won't know what hit them.:5go:

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Uh....I don't know about that man. Are you referring to the GT500?
yeah

i watch the show Pass Time on SpeedTV... there was a guy on their with a shelby gt500 and he said he never raced it down the track before... all the guys guessed between 11 and 12 seconds and guess what????

the guy ran a 15.1 :facepalm:

he obviously did not know how to shift cuz he missed a gear!

also,

guy on that same show another time had a procharged mustang GT that he said he raced a couple of times but not a lot... they all guess between 10 and 11 seconds in the quarter mile.

the guy ran a 14 something!!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts