Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thought about this on my walk this morning: will the camaro have the keyless ignition? it's amazing how spoiled you get, so quickly; i have it on the sts and it's such a pleasure leaving the fob in your pocket and just opening the door and hitting the starter button. it wouldn't be a deal breaker but it would be nice to have...

jackg
06 sts6

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Yeah, I pushed for it several times, but no one seems to be with me on it. I would love it.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Yeah, and HUD is ok? Which on costs more? It's all about OPTIONS! I've been saying that from the start. Don't make it standard, but at least give it as an option for those that want it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yeah, and HUD is ok? Which on costs more? It's all about OPTIONS! I've been saying that from the start. Don't make it standard, but at least give it as an option for those that want it.
I agree on the options issue 100%. It would be nice if the General would let us order our 5thGen Camaro's COPO!! GM put it back into the customers hands on what they want in their vehicle. :patriot:

My COPO order: SS/RS

1. Most powerful V8 built by GM
2. Black exterior with painted on rally stripes
3. Black leather interior (fully loaded)
4. Oh hell never mind, I'm wasting my time on this dream order :mad:

SF
Rick

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
I don't mind packages for most things, but they need to option the big things. Ambient lighting, Stereo upgrade, leather, Remote Start, HUD. Those are things that people do/don't want, and shouldn't have to get a package to get/delete them.

RS Package - Spoilers, wheels, etc... (General appearance stuff) should go together.

Leather Package - Seats, interior trim stuff, (General luxury items) should go together.

·
Registered
61 Posts
all options added to a car cost GM money. Just because you don't buy it does not mean GM does not have to engineer it. Will an options package offset the cost of engineering the product? I can't say, could the cost of engineering a product for the car help drive the cost of the car up as well? in my head it could.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
I don't know.. I think for $600, as I get into my vehicle the ambient lighting comes to life and the engine start button illuminates, that is pretty **** cool.
:confused:

I was referring to the aftermarket kit in the link provided by your previous post. It has nothing to do with the ambient lighting option for the Camaros.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
OK, how are you suppose to use the aftermarket kit in a car with a standard key. . . How is the kit suppose to unlock the steering column?

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
all options added to a car cost GM money. Just because you don't buy it does not mean GM does not have to engineer it. Will an options package offset the cost of engineering the product? I can't say, could the cost of engineering a product for the car help drive the cost of the car up as well? in my head it could.
They don't have to develop ANYTHING. It already exists in the Corvette, and probably other models as well. Even some low-end models of other brands have it. They've already accounted for the development costs. Take that system, and put it in the Camaro. It's not that hard. Heck, it probably costs them $40 in parts if that, charge me the $600, but there it is, from the factory, with no mods (I don't want to do many mods to my car). Pure profit. Like I said, offer it as an OPTION, price it high enough to recover any costs associated, but at least offer it. Don't make it standard, because you don't want to raise the cost of the base car.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
What would cost more to repair down the line if\when it fails.

Keyless ignition, or a regular one?

It's safe to assume that the keyless one will be... but I wouldn't really know.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
I'm sure there are more failures with the keyless. You don't hear too many problems with key ignitions. And the more complex you make things, the more chance there is for failure. But it's a gadget that I want.

Anyway, it's all moot, because they're not offering it. It's more of a rant thread than anything.

No way I'm adding an aftermarket mod like this to a new car, way too complex.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
this basically hits the nail on the head re options. the more options offered, the higher the manufacturing costs are, whether the options are ordered or not. the more variation in the manufacturing of a vehicle, the costlier it will be to sell. that's why you see option groups, more stuff that most people want and somewhat of a reduction in the manufacturing costs.

somebody mentioned early in this thread about leaving stuff off inorder to keep the msrp down, well, that is true, but in the case of the camaro, i hope and pray that gm doesn't skimp on the quality of the interior materials. leave off the hud and the keyless ignition, but when someone sits in the camaro let them think of an audi rather than a hhr.

if gm goes on the cheap on the interior, they lost my sale and many others i suspect.

jackg
06 sts6

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
if gm goes on the cheap on the interior, they lost my sale and many others i suspect.
Not mine. I'm currently driving a 15 year old Corvette. Anything new is better than what I have. :D

I do hope for high quality, but from what the disciples said about the demo cars, we don't have to worry too much.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts