·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i heard that the l99 would run a better quarter mile than the ls3
is this true?
i forget where i heard it but its hard to believe
and another question is
how much will the base v8 package cost?(guesstimate)

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
No one will know any pricing for atleast another 2 months.

The Auto is quicker in the quarter however the Manual tops out higher in Speed in the top end.

just depends also on what kind of driving you are looking for IMO.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Well, now it's really up in the air since Paddle Shifters are confirmed for the Automatic L99.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I've been tossing this around myself. . . Do I want an auto with paddle shifter or a nice 6sp tranny. . .

Hard one to pick. . .

·
Registered
318 Posts
I suggest driving an 08 Corvette with the A6 Paddle Shifter system. Essentially the same thing, just add 500 pounds and some better looking sheet metal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
A 6-spd manual and rush hour, bumper to bumper traffic, God's way to tell us we need to work out more. Clutch goes in, shift to first, clutch goes out, accelerate, move 6 feet, clutch goes in...

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
A 6-spd manual and rush hour, bumper to bumper traffic, God's way to tell us we need to work out more. Clutch goes in, shift to first, clutch goes out, accelerate, move 6 feet, clutch goes in...
oooo do i know what your talking...:BangHead::BangHead: but a manual is so much more fun the rest of the time and it gives you more control over the car:roxor:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Call me lazy, but I'm getting the auto. The paddle shifters will let me goof around when I'm out on a winding country road with no other traffic. The rest of the time, I'll stick it in "D" and forget it.

My work car is a 2005 Nissan Mazima with 5- Speed Auto sport stick. It's fun to play with occasionally. One thing that I wish it would do in manual mode is hold the redline until I make the decision to shift. Hopefully the Camaro's manumatic will be more aggressive.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If it's the same one as in the Corvette, it will.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
" Manuals are for road racers or Highschool students who think they have something to prove "

Yes they are fun to bang through the gears and also fun to get up to 100 when you're young on the highway !!!!!!!
Automatics in todays time are so far ahead of how they were in the past they are no longer something for sissys.

Take a 2008 Corvette with an A6 automatic , paddleshifters and a LS3
Drop its down into "S" Sport mode put both hands on the wheel make sure the car has traction control on and Floor it.
A driver with a manual 6 speed better not Miss a Gear or even break loose 1 bit because if he does its over..... the automatic WILL NOT MISS A GEAR.

I got a buddy with a 2008 C6 with the A6/paddleshifters and a LS3 he does everything I said above and he has taken well modded Manual Vettes and Mustangs with his car. The only thing he car has done to it is a Tune.
We are talking about a 08 C6 with Z51 package.

When I was younger I had my stick and loved every minute of it.
Now I want something to drive daily and if that time comes for someone to mess around with me......I dont like losing.

to each there own.

" Go drive a New Vette with an automatic/paddleshifters YOU WONT BE LET DOWN "

·
Registered
199 Posts
manuals put down more power to the wheels and multiplies torque ANYWHERE in the rpm range you decide.. manuals give a sportier feel and drive..

autos are for the (can I say) "mature driver" and those that do not know how to drive sticks... oh and those that drive in rush hour alot.. but the camaro is not a rush hour car.. buy volt if you are driving like that. Camaros were meant to burn rubber and bang gears - and that's exactly what I plan to do with my camaro. :patriot::lol:

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
manuals put down more power to the wheels and multiplies torque ANYWHERE in the rpm range you decide.. manuals give a sportier feel and drive..
Actually the automatics are able to get a torque multilication factor via the torque converter....not so for a manual tranny.

autos are for the (can I say) "mature driver" and those that do not know how to drive sticks... oh and those that drive in rush hour alot..
Well, 'Sonny', I'm pretty sure I can hold my own with a manual tranny, but I prefer the auto for other reasons. At this stage of my life, I'll leave the stick shifting to the whipper snappers.:rolleyes:

Camaros were meant to burn rubber and bang gears - and that's exactly what I plan to do with my camaro. :patriot::lol:
I will lay down a 100' burnout just like you, but not all the time. Everything in moderation..........that's something us 'mature' people say from time to time.:D

·
Registered
897 Posts
^^^ That new avatar is just disturbing, but very funny :lol: You always have the best ones.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I will go auto, because I do most of my driving in the city. Now when I'm feeling bullet proof, I break out the 70 SS 4-speed and burn more prem petrol.

SF
Rick

·
8,984 Posts
Quit whining or get a Honda.

Men CAN drive sticks if they need to.:D

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
I'm still leaning towards the auto. I have a feeling a stalled A6 L99 Camaro will be a beast of a daily driver. Driving a 6 speed in rush hour isn't that bad, my six speed is my daily. I'm still preferring the auto though.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
I'm still leaning towards the auto. I have a feeling a stalled A6 L99 Camaro will be a beast of a daily driver. Driving a 6 speed in rush hour isn't that bad, my six speed is my daily. I'm still preferring the auto though.
I'm agreeing with you 100% nothing like a A6 with a good tune perhaps a new torque converter and maybe some rearend work to put power to the ground better.

not a bad daily driver imo lol

I drove a manual daily for 6 years and didnt mind it one bit.... of course I was younger and thought I was bad and could beat everyone on the street.
IMO if Im going to have a manual give me a 4 speed. 6 speeds are worthless unless you like that 6th gear which I dont know many who actually use it.
Unless I am road racing then give me an automatic. Sticks are for high school kids who are trying to impress other high school kids. In the real world the automatics have every advantage over a stick.
All things being equal an automatic car with a decent torque converter will run off and hide from a stick. Usually be a pretty good amount. These MODERN computer controlled automatics today will always shift at the exact same rpm every run and will never miss a shift.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts