Modern Camaro Forums banner

Launch control & VIN decoding

7K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  usmc52 
#1 · (Edited)
Just picked up My 2013 1SS Manul 6 spd. late yesterday . After scouring the owners manual ,I ended my reading with two enigma's [I'm sure they'll be more to come]. It explains everything about launch control except how to engage it ! Which setting should the T/C & Stabil-Lock be in ? Also, is there a site somewhere on VIN decoding,as the fuel requirements state that only "models with an W or J VIN need to use 91 or higher octane fuel" . Well I do have an X half way thru my VIN, but there are other letters as well.So I'm not sure at which point in the VIN are they referring to.I'm gonna run the higher octane fuel anyways, but would like to know if its safe to use the lower grade fuel in a pinch..:confused:

#2 ·
For the 6.2 you should only be using 91 or higher. However, in a pinch you can go lower. The difference is, the lower in octane you go, the more knocking and lack of performance can be noticed. I personally keep octane booster in my car in the event something ever like that happens. It won't fix the problem but it'll help the burn while I'm having to use it.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks USAF480. Everything I've read concurred with you, But you really lose cofidence in your dealer when they tell you the opposite.Their knowledge of their products is sorely lacking. Thanks. after writing my questions I did somemore searching on VIN's.Appaerently the 8th number on a VIN represents the engine type, which on mine [ & I assume most all SS'es] is a" W". So according to the manual,it's confirmed.Again, so much for the salesman's knowledge.

#4 ·
Wow, nice car! Try to use the highest octane fuel you can get, however if you do use some lower octane fuel you will notice that the engine will perform at a lower rate of power. It will stay that way even after you get back to higher grade fuel because the fuel tables in the ecm will not automatically reset for higher octane. You will have to do a "fuse pull" to reset these back to default levels. See the search for "fulse pull" for more information.

Hope this helps, and keeping a bottle of octane booster with you all the time is a great idea.

#5 ·
As a GM Dealership Employee, I notice my dealerships have a lack of product knowledge among their sales staff. Regardless of that, the W or J they reference is for the 6.2 Liter, so if you have that, you need to use 91 or higher. If you don't and have the 3.6, you need to use 87 or higher.

87 is allowed but not recommended in the SS because it creates a slight spark knock. Carry Octane Boost or use 91+ at all times.

#7 ·
91, the 93 is for the ZL1 (VIN code P). But yes, all SS's require 91.

#8 ·
JWD and all, Thank you. JWD, do you mean do a search for "fuse pull" on this site ? I assume I have to pretty much run it empty & refill with 93 before doing that, Right ?

#10 ·
JWD621, I found the "fuse pull" thread & thank you so much.I just hope it works on a 2013,as the thread talks of 2010-2012 Cams. But I'll try it. Wish the Dealer wouldn't have effed it up to start with !

#11 ·
Launch control

For your launch control question. I have only done it a few times and its not very easy on the car. Press the TC button twice quickly. On your DIC you will see it says Competition Mode or Competitive Mode. From here its a little confusing. I always have my foot on the clutch prior to this so then all I have to do is floor the gas quickly. It should only rev up to approx 4000 rpm's. If it goes higher the Launch Control is not engaged. When you floor it keep your foot in it. Do not let off or you dissable the Launch Control. Then just drop the clutch and let her rip. This should let you launch with minimal tire spin. They will spin but not as much as if you turn off the nannies and droped the clutch. It took a couple of times trying this to get it to work. HTH.

#12 ·
Thanks guy.I [ like you probably] figured it out the hard way about not letting off the throttle.When it went above 5200 R's,I thought that was a bit much & didn't think that was how it was supposed to go.Iplan on keeping this car,so I don't think I'll be doing it very often. keith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.