Modern Camaro Forums banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Good catch, SDK. I have a pic of a mating pair of the coarse-haired brown nauga on an earlier post, for reference.

Here's some other colors:

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
patriotpa,
You got it bad!!! LOL!!!!
It's another two months before the hide harvest begins in SC.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Well...it looks like mating season is FINALLY over. Good! I was getting tired of the sound of two balloons rubbing together all the time. VERY annoying.

Some have had little ones already. We're loaded with them right now. They keep the grass nice and short, and they ARE cute, but dumb as a post.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
It was another great hide harvest in South Carolina. It's a good thing they get rid of their heavy coats before the 95 degree days with 95% humidity start.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I brought the running story of the nauga together in in one post. I was telling my mom about it and she thought it was funny, so I did this and sent it to her so she can prank one of her friends.

Story of the Nauga, courtesy of those nice folks at ModernCamaro.com:

The nauga is the hairless male of the species, prized for its skin, used to make naugahyde, while the female,called a faux, is highly sought after for her thick, luxurious fur which can be dyed virtually any color. You see, the nauga are very trusting, and, even in the wild can be walked up to and picked up to be petted, (they love that). They are very easy to raise, being about 40 lbs, and resemble their cousins the capybara.

Naugas look really funny until they re-grow their hides after shedding their skins (Usually after the last frost). They're smooth as an egg and bright pink until the new skin is exposed for about a week. They're the only mammal that sheds it's skin. Fresh skins need to be picked up within 24 hours of being shed, if you want to process them for furniture or car upholstery. Hides over 24 hours off the hoof can still be used to make footballs, baseballs, basketballs, etc.

In 2014, the wild nauga has been seen with a pattered skin to allow it to blend in to its surroundings. Evolution has provided protection from predators.
That hide is very popular among outdoorsman for clothing and furniture.

For some reason, unknown to science, they appear to be camera shy. If they see you with a camera, they turn away, lean over and touch their noses to the ground., as if showing you their butt.

Joan Rivers, famous comic and fashionista, has a car custom-upholstered in genuine naugahyde, and back in the 1970s, many a car in the inner cities had been reupholstered with faux fur.

The nauga also have no heart.
They are the only known mammal without a heart. Their circulatory system works similarly to the digestive tract; ie. by peristalsis.

This is partially responsible for the slow, placid pace of the creature, as the circulatory system is unable to provide a rapid increase in blood flow, and thus more oxygen to their muscles.

They mate in the spring, after shedding their skins. Their mating call is best simulated by letting the air out of a balloon and stretching the neck... emitting a high-pitched squeaking wail. Don't use a mating call during hunting season... it confuses them terribly, they get all excited, but there's no mate around.

Mating season is a show worth watching if you can stand the noise. Their skins make a very loud sound as they frantically move together, remarkably similar to the sound of two balloons rubbing together!

The light show from the repeated static discharges is beautiful.

Like Paul Harvey said:
...now you know... the Rest of the Story.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I see you are doing your part to keep this thread alive!!
Nauga hides will not be harvested this year in SC due to COVID-19 concerns.

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
Nauga's can't catch COVID-19......just your dogs and cats.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
I just shot a big one living under my garden shed. ~30in long not counting her little black tail. 22LR in the butt and she doesn't dig under there any more! Damned things. Ugly brown fur with black feet and tail.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
How's the feeder look this year, JWD?

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
Feeder is doing it's job, lots of critters visit every night. I just returned from two weeks vacation working at the ranch and shot 7 big pigs and three raccoons over the past 5 days.
I'm going to hire some trappers to rid myself of the hogs, shooting them just won't work. It's kinda like trying to kill a fire ant mound by stepping on one ant at a time!

101 - 110 of 110 Posts