Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit of warning! I noticed quite accidentally that under both seatbelt shoulder straps on my 2011 SS Convertible (leather) that the straps stitching is tearing through the leather of the seat. It's worse on the driver's side, but present on both. As this could easily be construed as a 'wear and tear' issue by the dealer, I was sure I'd get bad news from my dealer. BUT, being a great place, Chevrolet of Puyallup is replacing both seat sides. I urge you to check. I don't know if this is a common problem, but nobody seems to have known about it in the area. Also if there's a bulletin on it, please share it here. Sorry about the fuzzy picture, iphones only do so much with their autofocus.

Thanks!

Tib

Attachments

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
A bit of warning! I noticed quite accidentally that under both seatbelt shoulder straps on my 2011 SS Convertible (leather) that the straps stitching is tearing through the leather of the seat. It's worse on the driver's side, but present on both. As this could easily be construed as a 'wear and tear' issue by the dealer, I was sure I'd get bad news from my dealer. BUT, being a great place, Chevrolet of Puyallup is replacing both seat sides. I urge you to check. I don't know if this is a common problem, but nobody seems to have known about it in the area. Also if there's a bulletin on it, please share it here. Sorry about the fuzzy picture, iphones only do so much with their autofocus.

Thanks!

Tib
I'm gonna check mine...

·
Registered
217 Posts
I almost never use mine as they are not very likely to hold the seatbelt in place, the magnetic clasp is not that strong.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine holds them ok, not great, but enough that they're helpful. Just wanted folks to check. If you find a problem, report in. I'm curious to the extent of this issue!

Thanks,

Tib

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Mine holds just fine and I've used them on both camaros I have owned. It's a pretty strong magnet. Pretty sure mine was still attached after I wrecked my first camaro.
you mean the magnet was still in place holding the seat belt down? just wondering because it seems to be a real hit or miss thing for me sometimes it sticks fine other times it seems to not want to stick at all. Offhand, I think it is only meant to keep the belt in place as the seat goes up and down.

·
Registered
334 Posts
you mean the magnet was still in place holding the seat belt down? just wondering because it seems to be a real hit or miss thing for me sometimes it sticks fine other times it seems to not want to stick at all. Offhand, I think it is only meant to keep the belt in place as the seat goes up and down.
As I got out of my wrecked camaro I vividly remember having to peel the belt off of me and I remember it still being fastened to the seat by that ****ed magnet strap. It held somehow. I never thought it would either but it did.

·
Registered
331 Posts
2010 2SS/RS here with about 30k miles. Just checked at break and pulling is present. I use mine all the time and it never seems to "break loose".

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So nobody here is seeing the stitching tear the leather? It seems odd that this is happening on both of my seats despite my low miles and nobody else is experiencing it here. Glad to hear it, maybe my next leather bits will hold up better!

Tib

·
Registered
134 Posts
The new Recaros apparently have same issue. Mine has padding under it in the 2012 SS/RS:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, for those who either found damage or didn't, it's worth noting that GM has made a change to the way the strap is stitched to the leather seat as you'll note in this picture. If you haven't checked your strap, I again urge you to do so as it's clear that GM has thought enough about this to alter the design.

Tib

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts