Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a post I saw on another board and wanted to see what yall thought and what your opinion was ? For us performance oriented guys it makes me wonder sound or power ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to bring attention to all .....The factory muffler is a straight through design as I have found on every SS vehicle(TRAILBLAZER SS,CAMAROSS,HHRSS) I have ever worked on.

So why change your exhaust,how are guys claiming power differences by replacing them,,both good and bad...Please explain!

Just an observation -

My question with it being a straight through pipe design why not just make a small can around the pipe ? Why have that huge Ass casing ?
I guess its so quiet because of the 4 Cats/resonators !!!!!!!

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
because aftermarket looks better, sounds better and you'll still gain power.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Very interesting indeed. I was looking into exhaust but it looks like I'm going to reconsider.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
for yall who want sound get some QTP cutouts and leave it stock lol

Me I got ARH Longtubes and Borla "S" type Axle waiting :thumbsup:

I still wish GM had made the stock mufflers smaller......maybe a small Cylinder around the existing pipe we see here inside of the BIG casing :thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
not too mention aftermarket stainless will last the life of the car.
Stock exhaust won't

the stock exhaust IS stainless...just not as pretty as most aftermarket stainless.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Jekyll That's really cool you posted that, but I'd change them out just becasue they look ugly. My muffler looks better than those. :)

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Maybe I'm seeing something different, but aren't those holes in the exhaust pipe on the inside of the cut out section? Wouldn't that degrade performance?

yes, there's holes...think it's wrapped in steel wool or something inside the big ugly coffee can.

·
barbarianmotorsports
422 Posts
those are holes one the pipe . the exhaust fills up in the muffler area and takes time to exit. so if you put a straight pipe and with less bends you should get more power then stock. the main reason why gm puts mufflers on like this is because the noise level . when the buyer test drives any vehicle it has to sound good for every type of person. you just can't satisfy just a young kid who wants the loudest and most powerful muffler from factory. my $.02

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have seen a better photo before. The pipe has sets of holes as the pipe enters and exits the can. At least one set of the holes has steel wool type wrapping around them. I can't see a noticeable HP gain by ditching the cans. But I am all for sound improvement and weight reduction. An induction upgrade is way above on the priority list (with a skip shift eliminator).

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
those are holes one the pipe . the exhaust fills up in the muffler area and takes time to exit. so if you put a straight pipe and with less bends you should get more power then stock. the main reason why gm puts mufflers on like this is because the noise level . when the buyer test drives any vehicle it has to sound good for every type of person. you just can't satisfy just a young kid who wants the loudest and most powerful muffler from factory. my $.02
Right, that's why I went with the Corsa cat-back, no holes, better performance, and not overly loud until I want it to be :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts