Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i picked up a 5.7 lt1 out of a caprice for a very reasonable price shortly after my heads cracked on my 3.8 v6 so now i am just going to drop the lt1 in it but this is the tricky part the lt1 came out of a 95 caprice and i have the complete setup down to the computer and harness now i havent yet put the motor in but i know it will sit in there perfectly but my problem is at the wiring harness i am completly lost as i am not an electician and the connectors in the car are different so if anyone can help me out here and get me going in the right direction please let me know you can email me too my email is [email protected]

·
Registered
368 Posts
Did the LT1 not come with a harness? I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure you could just pick up a wiring harness at any junkyard.

Also, don't forget to update your struts for the added weight! :thumbsup:

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
i picked up a 5.7 lt1 out of a caprice for a very reasonable price shortly after my heads cracked on my 3.8 v6 so now i am just going to drop the lt1 in it but this is the tricky part the lt1 came out of a 95 caprice and i have the complete setup down to the computer and harness now i havent yet put the motor in but i know it will sit in there perfectly but my problem is at the wiring harness i am completly lost as i am not an electician and the connectors in the car are different so if anyone can help me out here and get me going in the right direction please let me know you can email me too my email is [email protected]
I'm doing a swap from 3.6 to 5.7lt1 right now. You will need a lot of parts from the fbody car.
wire harness: unplugs under passenger dash and the new one plugs right up.
Kmember: v6 and v8 are different
Rear end
Fuel lines from fender to engine
Trottle cable
IF using a caprice engine the ac alternator ps pump etc may be different.

This swap is much easier with a wrecked car of the same year.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Of note even the front springs of the LT1 Camaro will let the front sag and bounce a little because the Caprice LT1 is Iron headed and the Camaro LT1 is Aluminum headed. As Brandon said you really need to find a donor LT1 Fbody to get everything working correctly otherwise you will pay a fortune in harness splicing unless you are a good DIY, in which case you need wiring schematic, for V6, V8, Camaros and the caprice to make it all work.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
Of note even the front springs of the LT1 Camaro will let the front sag and bounce a little because the Caprice LT1 is Iron headed and the Camaro LT1 is Aluminum headed. As Brandon said you really need to find a donor LT1 Fbody to get everything working correctly otherwise you will pay a fortune in harness splicing unless you are a good DIY, in which case you need wiring schematic, for V6, V8, Camaros and the caprice to make it all work.
Good point, I forgot about the springs and I didn't even know there was an iron head LT1:thumbsup:

Also the fuel pump is something else to look at. I am still trying to figure this out myself. The auto parts store sell the same part number for v6 or v8 for the 96 camaro, but the junk yards list these two as seperate pumps and the v8 pump is higher. They don't sell v6 pumps as v8 pumps. My guess is that the v6 and v8 pumps were different from the factory, but the aftermarket just uses one pump to cut cost of two different pumps for the same car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts