1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do go easy on it?

or

Do you go heavy on it?

Personally, I have never had a brand new car so I have NO clue but I have always heard and was under the impression that you should go easy on it for like the first 500-1k miles to "break it in", but reading forums in the past year or so, there are different opinions. Some people say go heavy, as it breaks it in better and you get better performance in the long run?

:confused:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I guess this isn't a "dead horse", so the thread title is misleading now that I think about it :D

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
no clue...heard mixed things. owners manuals usually say to go easy. I usually take it easy on my new cars for at least 500 miles...I'm not nuts about it...just don't necessarily beat on it. I've heard that most important is not to keep rpms steady for long periods of time on a new engine (like using your cruise control). BUT...I've also heard "drive it like you stole it" for a better break in...so who the hell knows.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
idk I'd probably go easy on it at first, also.

When you first get a PS3, you don't stay up all night playing it until there is a hardware failure, do you? Well, yeah you do... but that's not the point. The point is to take it easy.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
idk I'd probably go easy on it at first, also.

When you first get a PS3, you don't stay up all night playing it until there is a hardware failure, do you? Well, yeah you do... but that's not the point. The point is to take it easy.
>.>

<.<

>.>

<.<

>.>

<.<

>.<

wut?

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
50 people will give you 50 different answers. I usually drive it easy for the first 500-100 miles and then change the oil. By the next oil change the newness has wore off and I feel free the run the heck out out of them.

These newer LS engine seem to be pretty "tight". They seem to run better the more miles you get on them.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Do go easy on it?

or

Do you go heavy on it?

Personally, I have never had a brand new car so I have NO clue but I have always heard and was under the impression that you should go easy on it for like the first 500-1k miles to "break it in", but reading forums in the past year or so, there are different opinions. Some people say go heavy, as it breaks it in better and you get better performance in the long run?

:confused:
With a new engine I'd go "easy" (<= 65mph, no flooring it) for the first 500-1000 miles, then change the oil. My trip home from the dealer will be close to 500 miles, so that'll probably be my break-in time :)

·
Resident GTO nutswinger
148 Posts
I wouldn't run it hard, but at the same time I wouldn't run it easy either. You want to stay away from crusing and need to vary your RPMs and speed, meaning you should get on it every once in a while. Did this with my one and only new car and it's been running just fine now for over 36k miles, not a single drop of oil being used and LS2s are notorious for burning oil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ive also heard on other forums not to run it at a constant speed for a long period of time. So if youre on the interstate dont stay at 70, vary your speed between 60 and 75 or what ever. Im sure the owners manual will say something about the 'break in' period.

·
Registered
208 Posts
i think i agree with everything said above, i picked go easy on it. i read my camaro's owners manual and i definitely remember the part to vary the rpm's

anyways, the first thing i'm doing is reading the manual to find out exactly :thumbsup:

i'm going to make sure the car i get won't have the pw dog s**t ran out of it because somebody that wants to know how much get up and go it has when they test drive one :rolleyes:

·
Registered
166 Posts
the idea is the vary the rpms, driving 35-55 in 5 minute intervals for the first 500 miles, to properly brake-in the piston rings, but i do not know about LS engines if they'd be any different

·
Registered
256 Posts
its weird that we dont have a solid answer to this question. I guess the best answer is whats in the manual

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
ive never followed break in procedure on any car or truck ive ever bought and i wont on this one either.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
The only thing that sticks out in any of the owners manuals is that it's suggested to vary your speed from cruising to stop and go to highway. I'm not even sure that will make much of a difference. Many will be purchasing their cars from out of state, so they'll be doing the steady highway thing anyway.

Buy the car to enjoy, not to worry if you've hit the correct rpms.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
im going to drive the piss out of mine..... smoking the tires all the way out of the dealer parking lot

1 - 20 of 24 Posts