Modern Camaro Forums banner

Lights for Dummies

12K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  JWD621 
#1 ·
I apologize in advance for the 1001 questions.

I'm in desperate need of someone with ALOT of patience. I can figure out what's necessary to keep my car running, but that's as far as my "car skills" go.

I'm wanting to change all of the dull factory lights on my 2013 SS/RS with nice bright white ones (I say "nice bright white ones" because the HID/xenon/LED/plasma/halogen/whatever stuff confuses the hell out of me. I don't know what's what & compatible with my car). That's where your patience comes in! I need someone to point me in the right direction. I may make myself look like an idiot, but I've spent days trying to figure this out on my own, & read many of the forum posts, & it's just not clicking. ANY help is appreciated..links, part numbers..ANYTHING.

Here goes..
I saw the P13 bulbs available for the foglights, but they don't completely match the halo & headlight. I know it's hard to get them to match perfectly, but I'm OCD so it can't hurt to ask for suggestions to fix that. I also saw the different colored halos (for headlight & foglights). I would love to have blue halos on both, but that makes me wonder if I'd still have to replace the bulbs to brighter ones (like originally planned) to go with the colored halos, or do the halos replace them? Also, is there a way to switch from the normal white lights to the colored ones when I want? I understand there's a harness to make the DRLs run as foglights, but I'm confused as to what will run together..as in..foglights with just the halo on, or do they just come on when the headlights kick on? A switch to run it? I'm confusing myself more trying to put this into words!

Next are the front turning signals. 2nd ugliest lights on there. I want white instead of amber, but which ones will match the other ones determined by my previous paragraph?

Tail lights/brake lights/reverse lights..same thing.

Still with me? That's all I have for now. Again, ANY help on any or all my questions is greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
As for headlights, what lights do you already have? HIDs or Halogens?

And for the turn signals, might wanna check local laws, but I'm pretty sure most every state out there says you must have an amber colored bulb in your turn signal, or it must emit and amber colored light.

And what do you plan to do to your taillights and reverse lights?

The brake lights can only be red. And the reverse lights are already white.

#5 · (Edited)
Congratulations on your new ride! My advice is to do your homework before purchasing.

1) If you are referring to replacing your daytime running lights, here are the options:

2010+ Camaro DIY Modifications

http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/s...red-plasma-led-bulbs-rs-camaro-now-stock.html

Projector DRL LEDs (7.5W) -- P13W & PSX26W Sizes - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Ideal Garage LLC

Just make sure the connector is correct for the 2013's (PSX26W) and make sure they are the right temperature for you, as most are 6000K and have a bluefish hue. The install is simple and should take 20-30 minutes on both sides.

2) I know nothing of the color changing halos so I can't help you there.

3) I have a harness that turns on my halos with my DRLs during the day, and at night, leaves my DRLs on.

http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/s...es/37776-fieldgoal00-drl-harness-gb-13-a.html

Another good vendor:
2010+ Camaro DIY Modifications

4) I have the chrome 3156 bulbs for my front turn signals. When they are off, they look white, but when they are on, they flash amber like stock. I went this direction because of CA laws. There is the option of having them flash white also but buy at your own risk! As for mathing your halos and HIDs, i could not tell you. AAC has these and you may want to look on ebay or amazon.

ORACLE Chrome Halogen Replacement Bulbs- Silver Finish with White or Amber Light

5) Upgrading to LED reverse lights are somewhat limited, and expensive. Oracle seems to be the only ones I've seen that offer anything and they are not just the bulbs, but the entire housing: Oracle High Power SMD Reverse Lights Camaro 2010-13 - Lingenfelter Performance

6) LED sidemarkers look great and are offered by AAC: http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/s...rkers-set-4-*half-off-all-paint-options*.html

I got mine from SHOWSTOPPER accessories and couldn't be happier. Shoot Pete an email...he also has LED sequential lights for your side mirrors! Showstopper Accessories

7) I purchased the technostalgia LED tail lights from apex Motorsports. These have the afterburner, sequential turn signals no rapid fire brakes. There have been problems with these in the past with LEDs going out and leaks, but I waited until the problems were fixed and took my time on the install (took off rear facia) and luckily, no problems in 3 months (after some drenching car washes and rain storms). 2010-11 Camaro Sequential LED Rear Lamps with Rapid Fire and Afterburner

I think that's it. Do your homework so you can make informed decisions. Feel free to send me a PM if you want further info...enjoy your new toy!

#6 ·
I also saw the different colored halos (for headlight & foglights). I would love to have blue halos on both, but that makes me wonder if I'd still have to replace the bulbs to brighter ones (like originally planned) to go with the colored halos, or do the halos replace them? Also, is there a way to switch from the normal white lights to the colored ones when I want
Scope out JDP motorsports for this. No baking of the headlight is needed. You then will have a remote to change colors on the fly.

https://www.xtremeledsonline.com/store/products.php?product=Halo-Kit-Camaro-RS-Color-Changing

#7 ·
Welcome to MC..."OP" you should post on our new members thread so we can give you a warm welcome to our sight :D

Oh.. Love LED light's.. better than bulbs :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.