1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source: Left Lane News

[I would suggest heavy grain of salt taking on this]

Claim: production Camaro 12 months away; better than concept

In the September 25th episode of syndicated automotive radio program Cruise Control Radio, co-host Les Jackson claims to have seen a photo of the production version of the new Chevrolet Camaro. He claims to have spoken with GM engineer Dr. Terry Woychowski on Sunday at a press event, who showed him a photograph of the production car.

"It looks terrific," Jackson said. He claims the photo he saw looked "even better" than the concept vehicle show earlier this year. While this subjective assessment doesn't tell us much, it's safe to assume GM officials really meant it when they said the production car would be nearly identical to the concept.

Jackson also claims Dr. Woychowski told him GM was "in a real rush to get it out the door," and "don't be surprised if it's by this time next year." General Motors has officially stated the new Camaro will go on sale in the first quarter of 2009. Woychowski comments seem to suggest that date could in fact come at least 12 months earlier than expected.

·
Registered
20 Posts
eh....if it's true so what. i still won't get one until probably 08 or 09. i don't want it because it's the "hot" thing to have. i don't care when i get it, although around my planned purchase time would be nice. i don't care if when i get it the frenzy around it has died down or not. i'll just be happy driving my new camaro regardless :D

·
Registered
742 Posts
same here. like all those 40 year old people bout the 04 gto being disappointed with the car cus of the simple styling and the wheel hop, but they bought it cus it was "cool" but then they came out with the better 05, with a bigger engine and all. it's not worth buyng the first year, cus they can change anything and atleast they can work out the bugs if there are any.

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Well, Camaro will be built in Oshawa, and seeing as the W-bodies that are being built in Oshawa now are being built through MY2008, the announced Camaro production date (4Q08) is really the earliest it can happen.

But it'll be worth the wait.
Getting a better quality car is worth waiting for! :)

·
Capt Bob-Supporting Membr
367 Posts
It will be worth the wait if they do it right the first time. Hopefully they are already testing to avoid later upgrades. 1st Gens improved the 2nd year with repositioned rear shocks and vaccuum actuated headlight covers. I hope we don't have to wait until the last year of 5th gen production to get a functioning trunk lock and tach. Or be denied a manual option transmission because the latest engine is too powerful for it like the 3rd Gens.

I hope they offer the best car that can be built instead of teasing us with with gradual changes each year to arrive five years into production at the car we all wanted day one. After 28 years of F-body loving and buying a few new only to have to trade for a later model of the same generation to get what I wanted originally, I'm getting skeptical (Although I have always been grateful to be in a position to be able to resolve a problem like that).
Since the retro design is being so positively received, I hope the styling remains true to the 1st Gens. SS stripes and hood vents/scoops on SS cars, Z28 stripes and cowl hoods on Z28's.

Is there any design for a true convertible in the works? Or will an aftermarket company wind up cutting off the roofs? In this day and age of technology most of us convertible guys have come to expect a little added weight as a fact of life, but to be denied the most potent package (Z06) to let the sunshine in is a crime. Please build what the enthusiasts want, let them worry about the insurance bills. If the car doesn't show up until the original sceduled time, I won't be disappointed as long as the bugs are worked out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Having bought 2 "'new-for-that-year" cars:
1975 monza 2+2 (piece of ^*#% 4 banger 4 speed)
and then a 1984 Fiero SE you would think I'd have maybe learned something about 1st year cars.

Both cars were amazing to look at for the time period, but each was buggy. I dumped the 1975 the next year
for a bike and a custom van.
The 84 Fiero SE I traded the next year for a new 1985 Fiero GT v-6 4 speed -- a very nice ride -- quick, agile, great looking and a whole lot less bugs.

I picked up the 90 IROC new in 90 because GM was ending that model and it has turned out to be the best of the IROCs.

Having had a few new GrandAm GT's (winter cars)
I picked up an 05 GrandAM GT SCT which is the last
made and it seems to be also the best of the bunch.

I wanted to grab an 02 SS Camaro but couldn't swing it
and keep the 90 as well.

So logically I should wait till GM announces the last of
the Camaro again and then jump but that ain't gonna happen.
As soon as the 5th is available I'm going to lease one.
That way if the next couple of years turn out to be better cars then I'll dump it for a newer one. If it turns out the 1st year breaks tradition and is actually a solid ride then
I'll keep it.

Seems like a no-lose deal to me, LOL anyone see any holes in the plan?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.