Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I really like this pic of the concept. I think it shows an aggressive mean look that is Camaro.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
the only thing that i didnt like bout this post was when active fuel management was mentioned that will be the only thing im not going to like about my future toy other than that its a really good article

·
Registered
637 Posts
Why would you not want an "MDS" system like my charger??

You still have all of the power exactly when you want it and when you dont need the power i.e. cruising on the freeway cylinders shut down and save you gas.

In my car the response is instant and seamless.

The only way to turn it off in the Charger is to use autostick mode on the tranny. I can quite figure how it would work with a manual transmission.

Its a good thing to have and a great selling feature for buyers looking for a little bit of "green" with thier muscle.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
One. Wheres the bowtie bud?

Two. Ive driven charger like the one you where talking about and its not as perfect as u would have it.

Three. If someone wants to drive with a greenthumb, they should get a cobalt or a civic.

If i buy 8 cylinders, i want 8 cylinders at all times. Active Fuel management is going to add another couple thousand on an already expensive price, not to mention if something in the system malfuctions :eek:$ cause stuff like that always tears-up at a bad time

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
Why would you not want an "MDS" system like my charger??

You still have all of the power exactly when you want it and when you dont need the power i.e. cruising on the freeway cylinders shut down and save you gas.

In my car the response is instant and seamless.

The only way to turn it off in the Charger is to use autostick mode on the tranny. I can quite figure how it would work with a manual transmission.

Its a good thing to have and a great selling feature for buyers looking for a little bit of "green" with thier muscle.
I'm all for displacement on demand or Active Fuel Management on my next vehicle. Any time I can use technology to save some $$ on the highway, I'm all for it :D

How does that affect drag racing your vehicle? Does it engage after a certain RPM has been met for a certain amount of time?

·
Registered
637 Posts
One. Wheres the bowtie bud?

Two. Ive driven charger like the one you where talking about and its not as perfect as u would have it.

Three. If someone wants to drive with a greenthumb, they should get a cobalt or a civic.

If i buy 8 cylinders, i want 8 cylinders at all times. Active Fuel management is going to add another couple thousand on an already expensive price, not to mention if something in the system malfuctions :eek:$ cause stuff like that always tears-up at a bad time
My bowtie is at the house but its old and crappy 1975 K10 Cheyenne with a custom flow through body (really really rusty). Hoping to replace it with a new camaro as soon as possible. My wifes bowtie is 03 Tahoe LT with ummmmmm everything on it.

Perfect who said perfect? The MDS comes and goes as HAL (the computers nickname on chargerforums.com) sees fit. You must remeber that my car is NOT a sports car like the camaro was and will be. THe new charger is a full size four door cruising sedan that happpens to have excellent power and handling for a car of its size and weight. 4100 lbs with the same physical foot print of the Tahoe length wheelbase width just shorter.

You dont "need" 8 cylinders all the time you may want them but a good portion of your driving 4 will sufice. Why not let the technology help out with gas milage when it can? The MDS systems fails to 8 cylinders so it wont tear things up and not sure what it would tear up anyway.

We all have dreams of the new Camaro being exactly what we want (ie. radio delete vinyl, seats and floors just gimme a speedo tack and 600 hp and i be out the door) but it will have all of these electronic goodies on it and the only way to get the biggest engine is to get the most add ons and most likly a Active Fuel Managment system will be part of it. Just hope Chevy doesnt add the very intrusive traction control system lis DCX that will barely allow for tire spin in a power brake.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm all for displacement on demand or Active Fuel Management on my next vehicle. Any time I can use technology to save some $$ on the highway, I'm all for it :D

How does that affect drag racing your vehicle? Does it engage after a certain RPM has been met for a certain amount of time?
Drag racing, I dont know never done it.

From Dodges website:

The advanced Multiple Displacement System (MDS) uses electronics to switch from eight cylinders to four during cruising and light acceleration, delivering up to 350 horsepower with the fuel economy of a large V6. The transition is seamless and imperceptible, requiring a mere 40 milliseconds (0.04 seconds) to activate or deactivate the telescoping lifters, fuel injectors, and sparkplugs.
  • Up to 20 percent improvement in fuel economy†
  • Seamless transition from eight to four cylinders
  • Power when you need it–fuel economy when you don't
from ALLPAR.com

The system deactivates the valve lifters. This keeps the valves in four cylinders closed, and there is no combustion. In addition to stopping combustion, energy is not lost by pumping air through these cylinders.

as far as turning on and off I understand that it has something to do with oil pressure. Thats one reason that the engine requires 5W20 oil only. Any other weight evidently will mess up the MDS.

After all that rambling I hope I made sense.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
try eight solenoids, a special ecm or a seperate ecm cause an ordinary ecm doesnt have the ability to run afm these systems will in also involve the use of the tps, knock sensor, o2 sensors. now if something is gos wrong, like if for some reason a solenoid was to operate when its not suppost to, something as simple air was compressed then passed on, no harm, but if the air is compressed then gas injected on it but not burnt you can overheat a coverter can could set you car on fire. You might say that is highly unlikely, but their will always be a chance. Nothing is always perfect. think wat u want but it will not be a simple system, this will invovle the use of many sensors, solenoids, and computers. Cars by that time will use more than one computer, most already do.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts