Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it was mentioned in another thread that an internal release for the gas lid would have been handy but anyone can pop it open as it sits, it got me thinking...

Anyone know of a GM part number locking gas cap that would work? Not just for keeping the gas in the tank, but keeping the haters from dumping crap in there as well.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Since it was mentioned in another thread that an internal release for the gas lid would have been handy but anyone can pop it open as it sits, it got me thinking...

Anyone know of a GM part number locking gas cap that would work? Not just for keeping the gas in the tank, but keeping the haters from dumping crap in there as well.
Do you really think people would do that? I hate to think anyone would but maybe I'm just naive.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts

ive had hmmmmmm a but load of vehicles in my life and my Gas cap has never been tampered with, i think chances of it happening are 1 in 100989887867676 but u can buy a locking gas cap at any auto parts store...you should go in one some time they got lots of neat stuff....oh and google works great.

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
Keep in mind, as I stated earlier, the chances or random tampering are slim. A locking fuel cap is easily defeated and will only deter the random attempt.

sugar wont kill the motor
No, but it causes the owner to go through the fuel filter(s) and fuel injectors. Not to mention down time.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm asking a simple question. Either you know the answer or you don't. Apparently, you fail.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You may not have failed. You just didn't pass. Your MOTO answer such as 'go into an auto parts store or google it' was a bit flat. I'd expect that if I was in jr. high school.

I was hoping someone had already found the GM part number that fit and join in the discussion so that we all may benefit. Similar to the locking cap from a Monte that fit the 4th gen, but GM never listed it as such.

I guess I will have to be the first.

Besides, you don't believe in locking gas caps anyway. :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
If this is really a concern for you, do not ever buy a Harley. Not only is the gas cap unlockable(except for the touring models), but the oil tank is right out in the open and any one can tamper with it. As far as a locking gas cap goes, if someone has it in for you, there are much easier and worse things that they can do to your car besides polute the gas. A gas thief can drill a hole in your gas tank or wrench the locking cap off with channel locks or vise grips. What about those nice 20" wheels? Wheel locks? You must keep them in the car anyways in case of a flat. all of this crap is why we buy insurance. Just enjoy your Camaro and try not to be too paranoid.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts