Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my LT's and haven't got a tune yet.
Is this a bad idea?
Can I damage anything by not getting a tune?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
No but with a tune you will get more out of em. You can also advance the timing a bit
more with the LT's

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just concerned with the whole warranty thing but i've alread got 10k miles so i might be ok to take a risk.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I drove mine about 3 weeks with no tune after installing my TSP's. Should something else go wrong with your car,you'll never know if engine check light is already on. I got a Jannetty tune via SCT,no regrets. Too long to wait for warranty to expire to enjoy car with headers and tune.:rock5thgen:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I drove mine about 3 weeks with no tune after installing my TSP's. Should something else go wrong with your car,you'll never know if engine check light is already on. I got a Jannetty tune via SCT,no regrets. Too long to wait for warranty to expire to enjoy car with headers and tune.:rock5thgen:
I agree with J-ROD. Some people have said they get away with about a week before a code is thrown. I think you will eventually have to get one. Maybe not a dyno tune but at the very least a canned tune. A lot of companies offer custom email tunes for less than a dyno tune would cost. You will get an initial tune, then datalog after soo many miles, send in the datalog, and then they revise the tune. This is done a couple times and the tunes end up being spot on.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
X2^

·
Registered
425 Posts
its a waste of putting on headers and then not doing the tune. make no sense at all just a waste of time. why would you not want to get more power out of the car with a tune. again makes no sense and please dont say its because of the warranty. i had my check engine light come on after my headers went it and it drove my crazy. and when you go for a inspection it will not pass.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Only way GM wouldn't cover a warranty issue is if the headers caused the problem. Wouldn't effect anything else.

·
Registered
425 Posts
yes and most dealers will find away to say it was the headers. so after they blame the headers what do you do just stand there and fight for hours with them

·
Registered
13 Posts
not bad, but your CEL will pop up!

tune just really helps and make the header purchase worth it. Just imagine, if you bolt on your headers, your engine ecu doesnt really know its any bigger then stock, allowing your ecu(tuning) to recognize the increase size, they are allowed into the ecu to adjust parameters to properly run a larger size headers. Of course allowing for my hp. You will see a gain even without a tune, just not that much.

Headers are an exhaust component, not sure if exhausts are covered under warranty. i would call and ask before they find out.

of course depending on what your car need when you go in for work, highly doubt headers can do much damage, but of course dealers can make up anything like, increase stress the block wasnt designed for. Plus if you do get headers the tune you'll need for it is most likely not covered under warranty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts