Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the long tube header seem to overtake the space of the stock Cat/Converters, would you just push those back to fit, and would the sensor wiring extend?

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
as far as I know...no LT's will bolt up to the stock exhaust. American Racing (and other's I assume) offers off-road pipes or hi-flow catted mid-pipes. Keep in mind you'll probably have to also get a "tune" to keep your check engine light from coming on.

If you want to keep your stock exhaust you'll need the shorties.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as far as I know...no LT's will bolt up to the stock exhaust. American Racing (and other's I assume) offers off-road pipes or hi-flow catted mid-pipes. Keep in mind you'll probably have to also get a "tune" to keep your check engine light from coming on.

How much HP benifit would you get out of shorty's?

·
Banned
7,873 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got Kooks LT headers for my new SS. They have Hi Flo cats that mount up to the OEM "H" pipe. I installed a set on my brother's SS 2 weeks ago. It took us 3 hours to install and they fit perfect. They didn't throw any codes either.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
Since the long tube header seem to overtake the space of the stock Cat/Converters, would you just push those back to fit, and would the sensor wiring extend?
whatever headers you buy, they should have the bung holes already in for the o2 sensors. i put borla long tube headers on and the holes were there for me to just screw the sensors into. if you buy one with cats on it, they should be in the same spot as the stock ones and plug in fine.

·
Registered
146 Posts

kooks and arh both have long tubes with cats that bolt up to the factory h-pipe(ls3), mid baffle(L99),

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
kooks and arh both have long tubes with cats that bolt up to the factory h-pipe(ls3), mid baffle(L99),
Why would you use the factory Hpipe...the AR's come with a 3" xpipe (w/ reducer to 2.5") which will just about get you back to your factory mufflers.

·
Banned
104 Posts
HI

The problem with long tube headers is simple. You have to move the catalytic converter. It is a federal offense to remove, move, modify or otherwise tamper with the OEM converter. Any shop that does this can lose their license and be fined. If you do it, you can also be fined.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Why would you use the factory Hpipe...the AR's come with a 3" xpipe (w/ reducer to 2.5") which will just about get you back to your factory mufflers.

not all of them ,, you can get a cheaper version of the arh headers that bolt right up to the factory system, just like the kooks long tubes

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41583&highlight=arh+cat

the kooks system is just like this and worked out perfect for me because i already had a custom made stainless x-pipe with factory mounting locations

·
Banned
104 Posts
If you can find a BBK fox H-pipe it will fit also.

But I've been told that BBK no longer makes H-pipes because they were'nt selling. Sad really,.. I prefer the H-pipe myself. I just sold my last one 2 months ago. I've mixed and matched Fox and SN95 mid pipes and muffler setups in the past. Including a BBK H-pipe that was originally on my 96 GT 4.6 motor and swapped it over to my 93 with 306 5.0. I have BBK long tubes on both. The mid pipe bolted over to each with little fuss. Then used the same flowmaster mufflers and flow tubes. The main difference was the tails on the SN95 are a couple inches longer compared to a fox setup. I just used dumps on my 93.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts