Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I was hoping someone could help me find a nice easy to follow instructions for changing out my stock headers for Long Tube with High Flow Cats. I am going to stay with stock cat back for now because I had the mufflers deleted and it sounds great.

If anyone has any ideas for the instructions let me know.

Thanks

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
It's pretty easy...the only things you have to remove are the plugs/wires, the steering shaft (1 bolt) and 02 sensors.

You basically remove the stock manifolds and cats...and replace with the new parts. I was told better to re-use the stock gaskets if they are still in good shape, just give them a quick cleaning.

Obviously easier on a lift, but not too bad in your drive-way. Headers will drop in from the top.

Just make sure whatever LT's/cats you buy, that they bolt up to your stock cat-back, it should bolt right up, no cutting or anything like that...although be warned, with your mufflers deleted, it's gonna be LOUD and you're gonna get a lot of drone.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

I get alot of Drone now. The only thing that changed is I have to turn the radio up two more notches than before muffler delete.

I want Loud. I have some butt head neighbors that need to be taught a lesson. I leave for work at 0515 every morning and three days a week I get home after midnight. I can't wait.....:lol::D

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey what is the most noticeable difference between 1 3/4 inch and 1 7/8 inch headers?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can get a great deal on 1 3/4 inch headers with cats. I just want to know if the HP gain is minimal or will it make a huge difference?

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
if you can save a bit of $$$ w/ the 1-3/4, I'd say go for it. They'll probably even make a little more low-end power, but the 1-7/8's will make more over-all. I don't think the difference would be that much to make me want to drop a lot more $$$ though.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awsome! Thanks for the help and information. Ordering the 1 3/4, ceramic coated with cats tomarrow. Hopefully I will get them by next weekend.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Awsome! Thanks for the help and information. Ordering the 1 3/4, ceramic coated with cats tomarrow. Hopefully I will get them by next weekend.
what brand?

give MarylandSpeed a call and tell them your a forum member... they have crazy discounts on ceramic coated Kooks headers!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pacesetter 1 3/4 inch LT Headers Ceramic coated + Cats and free shipping for $740 I have looked around and this is one heck of a deal.

I handn't heard of this brand so I did some checking up on them and I could not find but one negative review and it was because the guy had trouble putting them on. Everyon said they love the sound they give and performance boost.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Pacesetter 1 3/4 inch LT Headers Ceramic coated + Cats and free shipping for $740 I have looked around and this is one heck of a deal.

I handn't heard of this brand so I did some checking up on them and I could not find but one negative review and it was because the guy had trouble putting them on. Everyon said they love the sound they give and performance boost.
well i hope the ceramic coating lasts... i've seen that stuff flake off before!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I am not a fan of Pacesetter. You get what you pay for. Many of us on the board went with American Racing or Kooks. Personally I went with Texas-Speed. I am leery of headers that are that great of a deal. While I was looking for better sound, I was more interested in hp. Just know that on the forums, pacesetter is not as highly regarded as other headers. Just FYI and my $.02.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
I am not a fan of Pacesetter. You get what you pay for. Many of us on the board went with American Racing or Kooks. Personally I went with Texas-Speed. I am leery of headers that are that great of a deal. While I was looking for better sound, I was more interested in hp. Just know that on the forums, pacesetter is not as highly regarded as other headers. Just FYI and my $.02.
:agree:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I am more interested in sound. I have some people to piss off.

I of course want the HP gain also. I always want the better stuff but quite frankly these will probably on be on my car for a year or two. I will eventually go with Corsa all the from headers to tips but gotta save for that. I've got one kid in college now and another one in two years and another one two years after that.

Until all these kids are out of my house I gotta save alittle.

Honestly the deal is pretty good. The headers and cats seperately cost $600 and $395 so with the free shipping it makes it a great deal.

I was going to go with OBX racing headers but had concern about finding Cats later on when I actually have to pass inspection.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey I found apretty good deal on some BBK's what are your thaughts on those?

Whats the best Ceramic coated, Stainless or Chrome?

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
stainless wrapped in exhaust wrap, like DEI

http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25352
check out post #4 & 5

chrome will flake off the first time it heats up, ceramic will take a few years to start flaking off. the exhaust wrap is the best way to retain heat inside the headers and not in the engine bay, and if installed properly (with stainless steel clamps like in the thread above) they will last a lifetime.

and in all honesty you should only get stainless headers. those that are "pre" ceramic coated or chromed are just mild steel. like i said before, marylandspeed has a great deal on Kooks headers which are stainless steel, but if you call to order them, they can have them ceramic coated... ceramic coated stainless steel is a lot different and will last longer than a ceramic coated mild steel part!

i personally have ARH headers and love them, but if i would have waited, i would not have hesitated to take a better deal on the same quality part from a different brand... Kooks, ARH, and Stainless Works are the top 3 headers for the 5th gen camaro hands down. if you can't afford them now, why buy the part that does not have the same quality? IMHO, and most others would agree, save a little bit more money each month until you can afford the proper part :thumbsup:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to everyone for your input.

I decided to go for the stainless steel 1 7/8 inch OBX racing headers. I will worry about Cats later. I called the local muffler shop and they said they could weld in some cats anytime. They also do my inspections so it works out. No way they can fail me for their own work.

Thanks again

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Thanks to everyone for your input.

I decided to go for the stainless steel 1 7/8 inch OBX racing headers. I will worry about Cats later. I called the local muffler shop and they said they could weld in some cats anytime. They also do my inspections so it works out. No way they can fail me for their own work.

Thanks again
those are a decent bang for the buck header :thumbsup:

i highly recommend the exhaust wrap too.

do those come with O2 wire extenders? if not you will need them for the front O2 sensors!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They come with all hardware to include new gaskets and spacer pipe to fill gap left by cats.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts