Modern Camaro Forums banner

Looking for expert opinion

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  trm0002 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

First time here - I am thinking about buying a Camaro SS but need some opinions for people who actually drive the car!

Let me start off with my current situation...I live in Manhattan and drive to work in Jersey everyday. Its about 40 miles each way and a combination of 30 minutes of traffic (stop and go pretty much) and the rest I can usually cruise between 60 and 80mph (each way - so about 60minutes or so daily in stop and go traffic, sometimes more). Currently I drive a 2010 hatchback Mazda 3. I also park on the street in NYC, which means parallel parking daily and dealing with lapping my block in basically stop and go traffic for sometimes 10 seconds or sometimes 30 minutes everyday - while dodging cabs and pedestrians (having to stop at intersections to make a left while pedestrians cross the street, and then roll forward onto the next street while making a left).

So here is my debate...I found 2, 2011 2SS models. Near identical (links at the bottom) - low miles, same options, etc. One is standard and 1 is auto. For the longest time I've been of the belief that if you get a sports car, get it in stick. Now, lets forgo the idea that getting a Camaro or any sports car in this situation is illogical. Based on your knowledge of the cars, how they shift, etc which do you think would be a better idea. I know it all comes down to me and how I feel I can handle it, but I was just hoping to get some thoughts or opinions! Thanks in advance!

Automatic:
2011 Chevrolet Camaro for sale in New Rochelle - 2G1FK1EJ8B9113644 – New Rochelle Chevrolet

Standard:
2011 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS, $28,900 - Cars.com

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Get what YOU want. You'll get many differing (and stubborn) opinions here on this subject.
In the end, it's YOUR car.

I am not giving you my opinion on auto/TAPshift vs. manual. It's YOUR decision ;)

That said, with the Auto, you've got TAPshift whenever you want as well, so you get both.

#3 ·
Like I said, I know it ultimately is my call. I am really looking to see what people think of the Camaro in traffic. My buddy with an s2k says traffic is fine, never bothers him since the clutch is a dream. On the other hand, my friend with a 350z can't stand traffic for more than 20 minutes since their calf becomes sore from dealing with that rocket of a clutch pedal.

#4 ·
Well here's mu .02 worth... Yes it's Ur Call... I have a 2SS/RS A6, I'm older and most of my driving is in city so yes a lot of stop & go so that was part of the main reason for getting the A6.... Yes the M6 is a lot more fun to drive when really getting on it etc.... I would Recommend if U can financially, Keep ur Mazda 3 for Work and get the which ever Camaro U really Like & want for Ur Fun Driving!!!!! Hope that helps a Lil Bit!!!!!!

#5 ·
Hmmmm...that's a tough one.

I got a manual transmission cause they're fun to drive! I do not think it would be a lot of fun in that kind of traffic though.

I drive around 50 miles a day to and from work and I drive mostly all highway. I think I only have 5 or 6 stops each way. So...the clutch and transmission are easy to use in my Camaro. Shifting is second nature, but I think if I had to drive in the kind of traffic you drive in I'd get the automatic.

Whichever you choose, you'll love it! Of this I am sure. :thumbsup:

Anna

#7 ·
My commute is 45 miles each way. Traffic for my drive can be a bit rough. Therefore I went with the automatic. I don't bother with the tapshift except for on the rare occasion. I got the V6 but even at my reserved driving style I average 23 MPG.
MY reasons for the V6 car are... less initial purchase price, regular fuel, softer suspension for a daily driver, tires cost less to replace, brakes will cost less when I wear them out, and less to insure. Basically I'm cheap but wanted a Camaro Convertible. I did get the 2LT as the heated seats extend the top down driving season. It is my daily driver. However I do have a AWD Traverse for the bad weather.

My main concern would be the parking. The Camaro is a large car and you may not squeeze into the spots you are used to.

#8 ·
I had lived in the NJ/NYC metro area for 26 yrs and have dealt with the traffic (in the city, NJ tpk, LIE, etc) and parking issues you described, and I've had manual and automatic sports cars. And I'm sure the driving mess has not gotten any better since I left. I also lived in the DC area for a while and that nighmare of a commute and I had a 96 'vette w/manual and wished I had gotten an automatic. For extended daily stop/go traffic and parallel parking, I would recommend going with the automatic, that's just my .02. Whichever way you decide, it'll be a blast either way.:thumbsup:

#11 ·
Go with what you want (like every one else) :D ,
I'll be doing a lot of driving once I get my vert, I live in a town 25mls one way to the city,
but its all stop & go traffic, plus my back is messed up, so I'm going w/ a A6, + me's getting a bit to
old to do a M6 any more :lol:
Hope that helps ;) & :thumbsup:

#14 ·
Got mine 8/09 just turned over 40k. Its my daily driver.
LOVE MY M6!

#16 ·
Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

#17 ·
...For the longest time I've been of the belief that if you get a sports car, get it in stick.
You answered your own question- get the stick- it's the correct answer in your mind so why talk yourself out of it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.