Modern Camaro Forums banner

LS1

6K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  demonspeed 
#1 ·

I got tired of seeing never

See less See more
#2 ·
You know, I was tempted a few times. Once i saw the title, I knew it was just fot the hell of it. I never thought I see the day the LS1 is not-relevant on a Camaro forum. I guess its the same the LT1 guys felt.

#6 ·
i beleive it was one of the main reasons, the camaro was given another chance.
due to the popularity explosion of the motor, GM made a wise decision
to develop parts thru GMPP.
i remeber the days of "free mods" and reground stock cams, slp 1.85 rr
and the free ram air, ported maf, etc. in 98' therb was no way in hell i was paying 800$ for slp lt headers, so i made my own from a second gen bbc
set of headers. cost me about 200$
it was a milestone in my ls1 exp.:) this was early 99'
dam, almost 10 yrs, alredy
whre did the time go?

#4 ·
LT1.......you forgot the father of all these engines, well at least the big bother anyways.....L98 baby!

#8 · (Edited)
Yes, it would be a big mistake to count the beloved LS1 out for many years to come. Not since the days of the Buick GN did a GM engine respond to modding and make mad power with so few mods. :)

I truly believe you will still find the LS1 powering hot rods like the SBC did for so many "Little Duece Coupes" and other creations. For what you can pick up a wrecked F-body for with wiring harness and PCM included these days, builders would be nutz to pass one up for a project car.

For that matter, there are many LS1 powered cars still giving great service to people as daily drivers. I should know, as my DD is a '98 T/A with 121,000 miles on the clock and the valve covers have never been off the engine. :lol:

Also have another one that has 39,000 miles on the clock, and has what started out life as an LS1. After it was bored and stroked to 427 using Darton wet sleeves and all Callies best in the rotating assembly, along with many thousands of dollars worth of supporting mods, it has become a pretty quick little car. Of course that build initially took place back in 2003 when there weren't so many crate motors to choose from. Still, with all things considered, if I had it to do over tomorrow I would go with an LSx crate motor and build it from there, probably with a twin turbo setup. But for what it is, I don't find many that can hang with it around here. (Las Vegas)
Have attached one pic of the engine compartment hereon. ;)

I think the T/A will go up for sale in favor of the new 5th gen Camaro when it becomes available without any jacked up price by the dealers. Until that time, I will just drive the T/A and get the 25 mpg hwy. (2.73 gears) and not worry about any car payments for a while longer. ;) Yep, they can talk down to our LS1 power, but for my money they are still the best value on the road today. :cool:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.