Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading up on the L76, I really think the LS2, LS4 and LS7 should've still been called GenIII engines as there wasn't much different about them other than E85 capability and Active Fuel Management capability on the LS4.

Anyway, the L76 (and incidentally the L92 and L98, and all upcoming future GenIVs) are truly deserving of the GenIV distinction.

Ok anyway, here's what's different between the L76 and the LS2:

1. L76 has Active Fuel Mangement
- shutting off fuel to 4 cylinders under light load conditions for better fuel economy and reduced emissions.

2. L76 has Variable Cam-Phasing
- the ability to change cam timing by metering the oil flow to the cam phaser, effectively physically advancing or retarding camshaft timing, also for better fuel economy and reduced emissions.

3. L76 Bore: 3.988-inch, LS2 Bore: 4.000-inch

4. The L76 is tuned for 362hp on 87 octane gasoline.
- A tuner's dream! A tune tweaking spark and fuel for 93 octane should pick up 20-25hp easily.

5. LS2 heads are based on the LS1 design, but L76 heads are based on the better-flowing L92 design. L76 heads are basically L92 heads for use with a 3.988-inch bore (vs the 4.065-inch bore of the LS3 and L92).

The L98 used in the Holden Commodre in Australia is identical to the L76, except it doesn't have Active Fuel Management or Variable Cam-Phasing.

That's all I know so far. :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
^^^ Now dont quote me on this Ill try to make it make sense.
On my Charger it has the same thing as Active fuel Management but its call MDS Multiple Displacement System. I think its controlled by the lifters that are in the car. Shutting off 4 cylinders under light loads. On the GM side is that computer controled or is it the same?

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Dodge's MDS hardly does anything. GM's is computer controlled.
Yeah tell me about it. My gas mi still sucks.
Thats why I dont think that stuff like that should be on every vehicle. Hope it not on the Camaro.
Leave it for cars like the G8

·
Registered
206 Posts
Also all Gen 4 engines LS2,L92, LY6, etc, are siamese bore design
where the Gen 3 are conventional design, this means the Gen3 LS motors
all circulate coolant around the cylinders, where on the Gen4 engines, coolant only flows around the perimeter of the bores.This is where the Gen4 engines are said to be stronger, due to more material around bores, for reinforcement of cylinders bores.
This is the reason LS2,LS4,LS7 are designated as Gen4, due to the revision
of the coolant system for the cylinder bores, which is derived from C5R
7.0 engine. as is most of the current LS3,LS7,L92,LY6,and any other engines equipped with rectalugar intake ports.However LS4 received a 243 LS6 cathedral port type head, as all do smaller displacement engines 4.8/5.3
there is currently no rectangle port L92 type cylinder head for 3.78 bore, which is common for 4.8/5.3/LS4 engines.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yeah tell me about it. My gas mi still sucks.
Thats why I dont think that stuff like that should be on every vehicle. Hope it not on the Camaro.
Leave it for cars like the G8
the soilenoids on the lifters was back in the 80's with the 4-6-8 cyl

Problem was they would fail and ud have 5, 7 cyl etc lol

Now, both companies use the computer to deactivate Fuel injectors, and im sure they have it on a switch ( programming) basis on the 02 feedback in 8 vs 4 mode lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts