Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure this has been covered in the forum but I could not find it. I have brand new LS3. I am goin off the manual recomendations, let it warm up, vary the speeds and nothing over 4000 RPM for 1500 miles. Sound rite? Anything else I should know? Thanks

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Sounds good to me...you're on the right track. That's what I did, but only for 1000 miles. Lots of different opinions on it though. I also did my first oil change at 1000 miles.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Im sure this has been covered in the forum but I could not find it. I have brand new LS3. I am goin off the manual recomendations, let it warm up, vary the speeds and nothing over 4000 RPM for 1500 miles. Sound rite? Anything else I should know? Thanks
I put 300 miles on it straight at around 60 to 80 mph down the interstate from Dallas to San Antonio. Will do the rest of the break in on normal driving in town. Should be done in about a month.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good to me...you're on the right track. That's what I did, but only for 1000 miles. Lots of different opinions on it though. I also did my first oil change at 1000 miles.
Thx for the info. Most the mods you have on your car are the same mods I was wanting for mine. How you likin everything so far?

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Thx for the info. Most the mods you have on your car are the same mods I was wanting for mine. How you likin everything so far?
love 'em all....only problem is I can't afford a supercharger...yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New here, and currently in the process of buying a new Camaro. I had a question about that first oil change. In my current car I run full synthetic oil, and I was planning to do so in the Camaro. However I've been told by a co worker who "seems" knowledgeable that you should run conventional oil for several thousand miles before switching to synthetic. Is this advised or does not make any real difference?

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
New here, and currently in the process of buying a new Camaro. I had a question about that first oil change. In my current car I run full synthetic oil, and I was planning to do so in the Camaro. However I've been told by a co worker who "seems" knowledgeable that you should run conventional oil for several thousand miles before switching to synthetic. Is this advised or does not make any real difference?
I have heard this before...but the SS (if that's what you are buying) comes with mobil 1 full synthetic from the factory anyway. If you are buying the V6, just switch to synthetic for your first oil change and your good to go.:thumbsup: OH...and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Powerfreak. The goal is to get a 6spd SS, but I'm still in the numbers crunching phase. It's good to know they come from the factory with Mobile 1 synthetic, one less thing to worry about.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Thanks Powerfreak. The goal is to get a 6spd SS, but I'm still in the numbers crunching phase. It's good to know they come from the factory with Mobile 1 synthetic, one less thing to worry about.
good luck...any more questions, feel free to ask. And if you need a good dealer, I'm sure any of the site sponsors would be happy to help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but just got my 2011 1SS on monday, and saw somewhere on here that you shouldnt do "full throttle starts"... so I'm assuming that means launching in 1st gear? But is it ok to hit full throttle in 2nd - 4th (but dont let the RPMs get over 4k)?

Also, I read that engine braking is not good during break in? I usually dont down shift each gear at a stop, I just keep it in the same gear, step on the brake, and when the RPMs get to about 1k, I push in the clutch and come to a complete stop.

·
Registered
775 Posts
This goes against the manufacturers directions, but I use a non-syn oil in the new motors (Shell Rottela or similar). Get it warm, take an easy ride varying the RPM's for asy 100 or so miles. Check oil level, and then do several hard wide open runs through the gears working up to close to redline. Then drive normal for a few hundred more miles and change to a good full synthetic.

This always seats the rings well and if there is a material defect, this is when it will show its self.

We have all heard of cars w/10-20k miles on still using excess oil and what I see during tear down is rings never fulley seated to the cylinder walls as todays synthetic oils are so dang good at preventing wear and your new car comes filled w/syn from the factory.

Now, this is just how an old time race engine builder does it & I realize most would be horrified by this (and your dealer would have a fit!), but it works.

On our 1000 hp alky drag motors we idle a bit until warm, do a light burnout and a half track run. Check valve lash, and then do 3-4 more full 1/4 mile passes and its broke in and ready to run low 7 second runs.

With the differentails we break in with cheap gear lube for a dozen or so runs and then switch to a good syn. When we were useing syn right from the start the gears were never wearing in properly and there were high spots causing failures.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts