Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NO THERE IS NO PROBLEMS WITH THE MOTOR THAT I KNOW OF!:D:D

I wanted to know since alot of us plan on doing some nice modding.
One mod that I want to do to the Camaro preying that it has a LS3 in it.
Is a cam.
My issue with this is I think im limited with how big I can go because Octane is limited where I live. I can only go as high as 90 or 91 octane.
Are some of u guys havin this issue?
Where I used to live u can go as high as 93.
How would I solve this cut it with race gas?
Any body got any ideas?

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
GM's engines are normally tuned to 91+, so you should be fine. But my cheap ass will be beating the tar out of it with 87 ;). Which is why I hope a L76 is the base (with a LS3 in a higher-version). Since a LS3 running 87 will only be slightly more powerful than the L76 anyway. Which the difference could be made up for with a intake and a few other small things.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
I've heard that the heads are "LS6" like. I know on the LS6 that there are issues with Cams if you don't replace the springs at the same time.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
I don't think that it's going to be too much of an issue. A decent tune and as mentioned previously, some valvetrain upgrades and you should be good.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys im lookin forward to doin some moddin.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah always do valvespring/pushrod upgrade whenever you do a cam.
Yeah I got that part down. If the car has a LS3 in it. Ill just have to see what works best in it. Decide if ill go with a standerd, split, or reverse split cam.
We'll just have to see.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i've done the math on it i have a 75 shot on my cobalt and i have to run 91octane. it's only 2-3$ more per full tank fill up. i'll run 91 in my camaro!

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
The cam will not have much if anything to do with the octane requirements. It's the compression ratio. You can stab a huge cam in it and it won't make it any less octane friendly. That will depend mostly on compression and tune. you can get a cam ground with more overlap to bleed off some compression but the only reason you'd need that is if you had a 13:1+ motor and planned on running 93 instead of race gas. Then it would be a must to get a high overlap cam but as far as off the shelf cams it wont alter your octane demands any on the LS3. I know the LS2's recommend 91 but it says you can run as low as 87 and be fine you will just have decreased performance. Any less and of course detonation and engine damage but I dont know of any less than 87 anyway.

What do you mean by "LS6 like" dev compression ratio? The LS3 head by design is far far superior to the LS6 head being based of the L92's. The only similarities I can think of is maybe a high compression ratio. But like Brandon said all cams need matching springs etc. due to higher valve seat pressure or you'd be floating like a baloon in a bathtub.

I'm still dead set on the LS3 being underrated with a measly 435(not that its a slouch but for what it is and is capable of I think it is). I mean the LS2 has more cubes, better heads, better intake, better cam and got 50 more hp than the LS1. The LS3 has more cubes much much better heads and intake and better cam than the LS2 yet can only muster a 35 hp difference? Either they gimped in in the tune or cam or they are underrated.

·
Dark Side Moderator
2,665 Posts
Well, slim. I agree. I think it a severe underrating. I come to this conclusion after LG Motorsports put a 08 vette (LS3, bone stock) on the dyno and mustered a 390 to the wheels. Now with that said, do the math on drivetrain loss and it far more than 435hp at the fly. I think on a good day this engine is good for 460ish at the crank. I think this boils down to one thing:

-435hp rating now for vette, but a 460hp for the vette when the camaro comes out (camaro prolly be rated between 420-430hp).

It thing it would look bad right now for a base vette with 6.2 to be rated 40hp shy of the holy LS7. Hell, I know a Z06 is a badass car and a base vette doesnt compare to the overall performance of the Z06; but I would shoot for a LS3 in a camaro or vette before slapping down money for a Z06. LG Motorsport and I believe a few other now have achieved over 500hp with tune, bolt-ons, and a cam. Now, thats what I call fun and performance potential.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Well with octane's little crate motor post (ironically I was trying to search the net for crate LS3's to no avail) I'm sure it's gimped and underrated. 50 HP with a cam is a good jump especially for one that is factory installed. I'll have mine with a big hoover on top please :roxor:.

·
Registered
36 Posts
NO THERE IS NO PROBLEMS WITH THE MOTOR THAT I KNOW OF!:D:D

I wanted to know since alot of us plan on doing some nice modding.
One mod that I want to do to the Camaro preying that it has a LS3 in it.
Is a cam.
My issue with this is I think im limited with how big I can go because Octane is limited where I live. I can only go as high as 90 or 91 octane.
Are some of u guys havin this issue?
Where I used to live u can go as high as 93.
How would I solve this cut it with race gas?
Any body got any ideas?
Like others have said, you should be fine with 91, but yes you can cut it with 104 race gas if you need to. Just make sure the tune is set up for it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What options are there to tune the LS-3 motor?:confused:
Kind of dont understand the statement but i know some one who is tuning LS3 motors already. The numbers on them are sick.:roxor:
Its one hell of a motor.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Think it's possible to get 500rwhp out of the LS3 with heads, cam, intake and headers and a good tune?

Around here there is only 91 octane, but I plane to move back home to Indy where there's 92-93 all over.

I want to eat a guy I work with's new 08' z06 for lunch. The total cost of his car before trade was $70k. Of course he had a 06' Z06 for trade in and got $33k for it...so he only financed $37k.

Now I am struggling over what color to get.

Heretic

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Yes, to the first part of your question. 500rwhp is attainable with H/C/Intake/Longtubes/Tune.

No, to the part of eating up your buddy's Z06. There is still the deficit of power to weight ratio with the obvious advantage going to the Z06.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts