Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an LS3 Camaro and I'm looking into installing an LS9 cam. I do not want a noticeable lope but rather something that is going to act and sound stock while giving me a little more edge over the stock LS3s out there. I hear that the rods in my LS3 are fine and the valve springs are also okay for the install however I would like to double check this. Also I would like to know EXACTLY everything that I am going to need in order to do this. Like I said, I think the springs will work and I know that the rods will work but is there anything else I need. Thank you for all of the help.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
do you know the cam specs? if it's a lot more lift than stock, you will have to do the springs. How about the lifters?

·
Registered
589 Posts
The ls9 cam is taylored towards FI. You should check out Thunder Racing as they have custom ground cams "sleeper" cams designed to sound stock.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
Forget thunder racing,, check with Futral Motorsports. I currently have a cam from thunder in one my cars. It will be replaced with a Futral cam.

http://www.futralmotorsports.com/

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
forget those guys and check our Texas Speed & Performance :lol:! They are one of the very few places that actually grind the cam themselves! taking out the middle man with them! they have a great stage 1 cam that is a sleeper:

www.texas-speed.com

·
Registered
589 Posts
texas-speed and thunder are a toss up for me. Ive had great experiences from both companies.

·
Registered
670 Posts
texas speed and corvettes of westchester both make great custom grind cams
COW does not make custom grind cams. Matter of fact, none of the companys listed do.

Now several companies may contract out to Comp Cams, and have a cam designed to specific specs and call it their shop"s. Realistically, you can get the same cam from Comp Cam.

I tuned a cam only LS3 with a 231/239 cam on a 112 LSA, and it was a rocket. Save your money on aftermarket heads. The LS3 heads flow great. Get boltons and a 231/239 type cam, and you'll be golden.

I think LG has a 232/240 cam that would make your car respond well. Yes Id change springs and rods. Always measure your clearances.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Now several companies may contract out to Comp Cams, and have a cam designed to specific specs and call it their shop"s. Realistically, you can get the same cam from Comp Cam.
I would think that's pretty much what everyone does...whether it's comp-cams or other cam co's.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
forget those guys and check our Texas Speed & Performance :lol:! They are one of the very few places that actually grind the cam themselves! taking out the middle man with them! they have a great stage 1 cam that is a sleeper:

www.texas-speed.com
im on the fence on doing a cam I dont want drivability to change too much Id like to keep mpgs around the 22 mpg range is this possible ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Lingenfelter uses these cams in a lot of their cars and actually sell them to prospected buyers. Yes it is an FI cam and is very good in those applications but it is also a nice mild factory cam that gives an extra edge on stock LS3s as well and it retains a relatively factory sounding idle. (This is what I have learned JUST FROM READING ALONE, I DO NOT GUARANTEE THESE CLAIMS) Lingenfelter also states that L99 users are to use LS3 springs in their heads though (seeing as I have an LS3) they have not mentioned wether or not the LS3 rods will also work. My favorite aspect of this cam is that it is a factory cam and there for it behaves like one and that's really more of what i'm looking for. Thanks for all the posts guys, every little bit of extra knowledge helps.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
jasonD from camaroz28.com has the ls9 cam in his camaro. it was a l99 turned ls3 turned ls9. go over there and ask him some questions about his install. he also has a maggna charger on there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool, thank you for the info. I'll be sure to ask him about it.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
im on the fence on doing a cam I dont want drivability to change too much Id like to keep mpgs around the 22 mpg range is this possible ?
i've come to the conclusion that i'm not going to spend anymore money on my car other than routine mainainence and washes. with the Z28 rumored to be out by 2012, i'm now on the fence on either that or a Z06 in 2012 when i turn 25... all depends on what i can afford at the time. just hope there are no surprise pregnancies before then :faint:

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
a cam does change the driveablility, but honestly, you get used to it very easily and you drive it just like you would with the stock cam. the day i got my car back and i was driving home, i was kinda nervouse that i just ruined my car. but after the drive home, i got used to it and i know how to drive it now. theres nothing about it that isnt streetable now. just like the blind spots in the car, it takes driving to adapt to the way the car is.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
i've come to the conclusion that i'm not going to spend anymore money on my car other than routine mainainence and washes. with the Z28 rumored to be out by 2012, i'm now on the fence on either that or a Z06 in 2012 when i turn 25... all depends on what i can afford at the time. just hope there are no surprise pregnancies before then :faint:
if your worried about a baby, that means its gonna happen sooner than later. that being said, dont get rid of that car!

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
COW does not make custom grind cams. Matter of fact, none of the companys listed do.

Yep my Texas-speed cam came straight from comp cams to my door.

Like 2010 said streetability is a mindset. After a while you get used to it. Been daily driving the GTO with the MS3 in it untuned for a bit now. It's way over what some would call streetable I guess, especially untuned, but as I said 100 miles a day for almost 2 months now. Works good sounds evil.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts