Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
In my SS M6, I have about 40-45 miles left when it goes off, based on my calculations of what was left in the tank when I fill up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no idea... I normally don't let it get that low but mine came on last week too on my way to the gas station. I know it's at least 5 miles from my house to the nearest gas station (I live in the country) so enough to at least make it somewhere :lol:
someone needs to test this out. LoL

·
Registered
127 Posts

·
8,984 Posts
My CTS is 45 miles exactly once it hits the Low Fuel Warning.

·
Registered
145 Posts
really y'all don't need to run the gas out that low. The fuel pump is in the gas tank and that's what keeps it cool. So if you don't want to shortin your fuel pump life, put gas in it before you get to a 1/4 tank.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I don't know which model you have, but my 2LT gives a read out of estimated miles left before running out of fuel. Check your owners manual and see if your model has this info in the driver's information center.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wrong!
That is not true on modern cars. People need to quit spreading myths about issues that modern cars do not have.

really y'all don't need to run the gas out that low. The fuel pump is in the gas tank and that's what keeps it cool. So if you don't want to shortin your fuel pump life, put gas in it before you get to a 1/4 tank.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
When my car reaches 50 miles I fill up.
Gas is just what its called a Gas basically a Vapor its not good to let the tank go to low because then when you refill your tank on a empty tank you dont get as much fuel.

When mine reaches 1/4 of a tank I refill and I have been getting more Fuel for my money.

I was told this by a retired gas and oil man who I work out with at the Gym.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well my barber said air is gas too.........

·
8,984 Posts
Wrong!
That is not true on modern cars. People need to quit spreading myths about issues that modern cars do not have.
Please expound on which part is a myth.:)

·
Registered
407 Posts
The majority of modern cars have the fuel pump located inside the tank. Not entirely sure how many pumps are mechanical these days. I would guess a very high percentage are electric now and controlled by the ECM. The fuel filter is also located in the tank. I think Mercedes started doing this quite a while ago and the auto industry followed suit.

Something that was discussed in my automotive classes was the fact that it's actually a good thing to run your tank near dry. Reason is that there is sediment that can gather in the tank and build up. The thought process is to run it low and draw that stuff out of the tank. That was 20 years ago and technology has evolved significantly in that time so take it for what it's worth.

With my car if I see the low fuel warning I can hit a button and it will read out in miles how far I can drive until I'm walking. Usually, it's 40-45 miles depending on how you drive the car. I have run mine all the way to zero miles and it made it to the petrol shed just fine.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't know which model you have, but my 2LT gives a read out of estimated miles left before running out of fuel. Check your owners manual and see if your model has this info in the driver's information center.

Run it past 27 miles afterwords it will say LOW FUEL WARNING, and will no longer give you miles. try it. I also have am LT.

But I made it thanx.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts