Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've recently kind of had this idea of buying another RS someday, 91-92 hardtop, keeping it looking stock, maybe a lowering kit at the most, but pulling the 305 and throwing in a rebuilt LT1 with a really mild cam, exhaust, intake, all that, but actually carbing the motor, and making it look like a 305tbi, that way I could fool people and have them left scratching their heads. I'd probably bolt the LT1 up to a T56 transmission and put a nice 4.10 gear in the back for some **** good acceleration.

After doing some research, I've found that it IS possible to carb an LT1, there are kits from GM that you can use to do it with, so you can convert the motor to run with an H.E.I dizzy in the standard location. But I've found more information that leads me to believe installing an LT1 in any Thirdgen F-body is a complete pain in the ass, especially if you want power steering or A/C.

Anybody have any experience with this?

I was thinking of even putting a 305 snorkel aircleaner on the top just to add that extra "305 look alike" touch :) except I think I'd mod the aircleaner to have a tpi intake into some tubing, then fed into the front of the cleaner, like this:

I was thinking that car could be a serious money maker, it would just look like a kiddy car, you know the Camaro's you see out on the strip getting beat to ****... we do a lot of racing for money in my area, this would be a very nice sleeper...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You change your mind a lot don't you?
Yeah, I do, but after further consideration, I think LS2's suck :p

Not really, but I think they are over priced, and even with them quiet, they don't sound anything like a 305 lol. And I'm not sure that you can carb them, or it you can, how cheap it would be lol. Plus, installing an LS2 in a Thirdgen would be a B*TCH...

I mean an LS2 and a comprable T56 for one would run like 6k, at least, not including installing it. You could have an LT1 in there running the same power with mods for that price.

I don't change my mind as to the body of the car it's going into, it's always been a hardtop 91-92 RS, but the motor has always been kind of a "I want this, I want that" kind of deal lol. By the time I will be able to do this financially, I should have my mind made up, but I have had many rides in LT1 cars, and was VERY impressed with the torque! I honestly like the LT1 more than I like the LS1, the LS1 really wakes up at around 4k, the LT1 is just right there off the line.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I honestly like the LT1 more than I like the LS1, the LS1 really wakes up at around 4k, the LT1 is just right there off the line.
Except that the LS1 makes more power throughout the entire rpm-band than that of the LT1. 2k or 6k, the LS1 is putting out more power, its just a smoother delivery.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Except that the LS1 makes more power throughout the entire rpm-band than that of the LT1. 2k or 6k, the LS1 is putting out more power, its just a smoother delivery.
Call me crazy, but I do like that "jerky" feel that the LT1 and L98 give off. I want a car that shakes, a car that rattles, and throws you around you know? I'm really not that into the smooth acceleration lol. I'm looking more to build a car that looks beat to hell, but leaves everyone that doubts and makes fun of it in the rear view mirror :D Besides, why spend all that money on an LS1, whatever gets put in it is going to get beat to sh*t lol... 5k clutch drops, slamming gears... :D this is just a car to beat the hell out of and race people with :p

My current car is just going to be a toy to go around and show off how nice I can make a car look :cool:

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Call me crazy, but I do like that "jerky" feel that the LT1 and L98 give off. I want a car that shakes, a car that rattles, and throws you around you know? I'm really not that into the smooth acceleration lol. I'm looking more to build a car that looks beat to hell, but leaves everyone that doubts and makes fun of it in the rear view mirror :D Besides, why spend all that money on an LS1, whatever gets put in it is going to get beat to sh*t lol... 5k clutch drops, slamming gears... :D this is just a car to beat the hell out of and race people with :p

My current car is just going to be a toy to go around and show off how nice I can make a car look :cool:
A few hundred dollars and you'll have a LS1 that shakes violently.

·
Registered
393 Posts
you will have a hard time finding an lt1 with less than 80k on it for very cheap.

why would you carb it? just dont show people the motor, there is a reason chevy stopped carburating things in the 80's...injection is better plain and simple.

why would you put the factory air intake on the lt1, do you have any idea how restrictive those are?

I have no clue what you mean about the lt1 jerking you around more than an ls1, I REALLY dont think you have driven an ls1 even though you claim to have driven many.

how does an lt1 sound better? it all depends on what exhaust setup your running. same exhaust, and you wouldnt even be able to tell the difference.

here is a dyno graph of a stock ls1 ...it has a nice flat torque curve.
didnt you say they make like 260rwhp?

here is a bone stock 95 z28 dyno graph. nice flat torque curve too.

in comparing the two, id have to say ls1. they arent any harder to install than an lt1, they weigh a couple hundred pounds less, have a higher EPA rating, and make more power and torque.

im still looking for a dyno graph for an 01-02 fbody. I know they make around 320rwhp stock.

Why dont you just build your L03 since their so great.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you will have a hard time finding an lt1 with less than 80k on it for very cheap.

why would you carb it? just dont show people the motor, there is a reason chevy stopped carburating things in the 80's...injection is better plain and simple.

why would you put the factory air intake on the lt1, do you have any idea how restrictive those are?

I have no clue what you mean about the lt1 jerking you around more than an ls1, I REALLY dont think you have driven an ls1 even though you claim to have driven many.

how does an lt1 sound better? it all depends on what exhaust setup your running. same exhaust, and you wouldnt even be able to tell the difference.

im still looking for a dyno graph for an 01-02 fbody. I know they make around 320rwhp stock.
I'm not looking for an LT1 with low mileage, I'm looking for an LT1 with 100k plus on it. I could pick it up cheap for maybe $500 and I'd rebuild the motor. I'd keep it mostly stock, but put in a very mild street cam. That way, I'd have a brand new engine for just about the same price I'd be paying for one that had like 80k on it.

Same goes with the T-56. I'll pick one up used, rebuild it, and throw it in.

Why not carb it? Fuel injection requires tons of tuning and all that other crap when you mod them. Slap a four barrel carb and a nice intake manifold and you could probably see 15-20hp over the stock efi unit. Plus, there is basically no difference between a 305 and 350 block, I could easily pass that off as a carbed 305.

There are some pretty **** cool things you can do to make a factory intake very flowing, if you are resourceful and can work with metal. If not, I could always just slap on an open element, it's a pretty common solution to the factory intake, only drawback is the engine is getting more hot air than cold, and I do not like cowl or "SS" style hoods.

I've driven both LS1 and LT1 cars. I've driven two LS1 cars. Both of them were '99's. One was an SS vert, only mods were catback and LS6 intake. The other one I drove was on a test drive, it was for sale and I knew the guy selling it. It was dynoed at 380rwhp, had Corvette heads, gears, tune, exhaust, a lot of stuff. I was very impressed with both the LS1 cars. The LT1 I drove was another test drive, I was very impressed with the torque and the sound of it. Not too mention I am very used to LT1 cars, I have a few friends that have multiple versions of the LT1 motor, one with a Caprice, and two others with Fourthgen Z's. They are great motors (except for the opti-spark BS). Stone cold reliable, my friend with the caprice has like 480k on the motor and it hasn't been rebuilt, and it still hauls! I know most of the same could be said for the LSX motors, but I just have a thing for the LT1. I really felt that the LS1 was pulling hardest closer to 5-6k. I mean it really kicked in, but the problem with that is, the strip I cruise and race around at has a posted limit of 40mph... once the LS1 starts kicking, I'm not going to want to let off, and by then I'll be at like 70mph, and let me tell you, that is a bad idea to go that fast around there... there are cops EVERYWHERE. LT1 just seemed like a lot more fun and very torquey down low.

Lastly, I really don't need 320rwhp. A carbed, cammed LT1 with exhaust and intake I would think should put down 270-280rwhp, and that is plenty of power for a Thirdgen. I'm not really looking to build something that runs 11's, I want something extremely streetable that runs, maybe... mid to high 12's.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I'm not looking for an LT1 with low mileage, I'm looking for an LT1 with 100k plus on it. I could pick it up cheap for maybe $500 and I'd rebuild the motor. I'd keep it mostly stock, but put in a very mild street cam. That way, I'd have a brand new engine for just about the same price I'd be paying for one that had like 80k on it.

Same goes with the T-56. I'll pick one up used, rebuild it, and throw it in.

Why not carb it? Fuel injection requires tons of tuning and all that other crap when you mod them. Slap a four barrel carb and a nice intake manifold and you could probably see 15-20hp over the stock efi unit. Plus, there is basically no difference between a 305 and 350 block, I could easily pass that off as a carbed 305.

There are some pretty **** cool things you can do to make a factory intake very flowing, if you are resourceful and can work with metal. If not, I could always just slap on an open element, it's a pretty common solution to the factory intake, only drawback is the engine is getting more hot air than cold, and I do not like cowl or "SS" style hoods.

I've driven both LS1 and LT1 cars. I've driven two LS1 cars. Both of them were '99's. One was an SS vert, only mods were catback and LS6 intake. The other one I drove was on a test drive, it was for sale and I knew the guy selling it. It was dynoed at 380rwhp, had Corvette heads, gears, tune, exhaust, a lot of stuff. I was very impressed with both the LS1 cars. The LT1 I drove was another test drive, I was very impressed with the torque and the sound of it. Not too mention I am very used to LT1 cars, I have a few friends that have multiple versions of the LT1 motor, one with a Caprice, and two others with Fourthgen Z's. They are great motors (except for the opti-spark BS). Stone cold reliable, my friend with the caprice has like 480k on the motor and it hasn't been rebuilt, and it still hauls! I know most of the same could be said for the LSX motors, but I just have a thing for the LT1. I really felt that the LS1 was pulling hardest closer to 5-6k. I mean it really kicked in, but the problem with that is, the strip I cruise and race around at has a posted limit of 40mph... once the LS1 starts kicking, I'm not going to want to let off, and by then I'll be at like 70mph, and let me tell you, that is a bad idea to go that fast around there... there are cops EVERYWHERE. LT1 just seemed like a lot more fun and very torquey down low.

Lastly, I really don't need 320rwhp. A carbed, cammed LT1 with exhaust and intake I would think should put down 270-280rwhp, and that is plenty of power for a Thirdgen. I'm not really looking to build something that runs 11's, I want something extremely streetable that runs, maybe... mid to high 12's.
If I read this part correctly, you want to carb a LT1 and pass it off as a 305?

GTFO

·
Registered
61 Posts
If your going to carb the LT1 anyway why spend the money for the LT1 put a 383 or any other fuirst gen small block in it and go. The part cost on the LT1 is higher for many of the parts. I think the injected or even a carb on the LS is a better option.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If your going to carb the LT1 anyway why spend the money for the LT1 put a 383 or any other fuirst gen small block in it and go. The part cost on the LT1 is higher for many of the parts. I think the injected or even a carb on the LS is a better option.
Ehhh. I like the reverse cooled part on the LT1 :) Plus I need this car to get some kind of gas mileage. My buddies 400 gets a whoping 8mpg on the strip. A 383 can't be much better. I'd like to get 15... at least lol.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
if I were you and wanted to save money, I would go with a gen I 400 small block, carb it, and hook a t56 up to it. put an rv cam in it for low end torque, and some bolt ons and the car would be pretty quick and cheap. and it would look just like a 305.

thats the best advice i can give. good luck!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts