Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://wot.motortrend.com/6234094/c...the-idea-of-a-four-cylinder-camaro/index.html

Another auto show, another batch of interesting comments complements of GM vice chairman and quote machine Bob Lutz. This time out, Maximum Bob was opining about the upcoming 2009 Chevrolet Camaro to the folks at Automotive News, and -- gasp -- he brought up the four word -- four cylinder that is.

Yes, Lutz is floating the possibility that the new Camaro could eventually come with a four cylinder option, more than likely a version for the turbocharged, Ecotec 2.0-liter, 260 horsepower four banger that powers the Solstice GXP, among others in the GM stable.

Not that it will happen right away, as GM has committed at launch to deliver six and eight cylinder models of the Camaro. The V-6 is expected to be the high feature unit that powers the top line Cadillac CTS, detuned some to about 260 horsepower, a number which neatly matches the 2.0-liter's output.

The V-8 will likely be a version of the 6.2-liter LS3 that powers base Corvette and will probably push about 400 horsepower. An SS model is also reportedly in the pipeline, expect that car to come an engine similar to what powers the new CTS-V, a supercharged 6.2-liter V-8.

Obviously, even broaching the subject of dropping a four-cylinder into the new Camaro means that GM is continuing to examine all options when it comes to meeting the new CAFE requirements.

Lutz also went on to say that the Camaro will be priced several thousand dollars above similarly-equipped Mustangs when it arrives early next year.

What say you, should GM consider a four-cylinder option for the Camaro?

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
I'm not keen on 4-cylinders, but there has been 4-cylinder Camaros in the past.

Quite honestly, the Turbo 2.0L 4-cylinder makes just as much power as the base-level 3.6L V6, and does it with less gas consumption and less weight.

But even so, I don't think I like the idea.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
ewww...4 cylinder camaro.

And hybrids really don't help all that much..considering how much more they cost.
Yeah, but to meet CAFE they just have to have a production vehicle with a gas mileage number. It doesn't matter much whether or not it sells, and they may be able to absorb the loss in other places.

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Now that I think about it... there would not be much gas mileage benefit from using the Turbo 2.0 4-cylinder in Camaro.

Cadillac CTS with the 263hp 3.6L V6 is rated 17mpg city, 26mpg highway.
This vehicle weighs 3875lbs.

Pontiac Solstice with the 260hp Turbo 2.0L 4-cylinder is rated 19 mpg city, 28mpg highway.
This vehicle weighs 2975lbs.

So, let's assume for comparison's sake that Camaro comes in at 3675lbs with the 3.6L V6 or 3575lbs with the Turbo 2.0L 4-cylinder.
Realistic numbers IMO.

With the V6, Camaro would be 200lbs lighter than the CTS. So perhaps it would see a 1mpg improvement, for a rating of 18mpg city, 27mpg highway.

With the 4-cylinder, Camaro would be 600lbs heavier than the Solstice. So perhaps it sees 2mpg worse, for a rating of 17mpg city, 26mpg highway.

This is based on weights alone and is just an educated guess.
Also transmission and rear-end gearings come largely into play as well.

But I think my point is clear. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Something doesn't add up. Peper told us the v6 would be 300+ and now we are hearing 260?? Even the freaking Traverse is getting a 283hp version of that engine, why would they put even less in the Camaro??

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Lutz also went on to say that the Camaro will be priced several thousand dollars above similarly-equipped Mustangs when it arrives early next year.
I hope to God that was a mis-quote.
It is.
Motor Trend twisted that around big time.

Here's the DIRECT QUOTE cited in the source article (Automotive News):
Bob Lutz said:
“We are going to be above Mustang,” Lutz said. “We have a very sophisticated suspension system and, frankly, a much nicer interior. We are not going to try and match the Mustang on price. We are going to be premium-priced compared to the Mustang.”
Where does Motor Trend get off saying several thousand more?
The more I read that magazine, the worse it gets.

What Lutz said in congruent with what has been said all along, that Camaro will be a few hundred bucks more than Mustang.
Which is justified IMO, look at the package... more power, and better built, independent rear suspension, and you know Camaro will be faster. :)

·
Registered
6,645 Posts

[/QUOTE]Don't like the sound of this it's supposed to be priced with the Mustang.:(

·
Registered
620 Posts
It is.

What Lutz said in congruent with what has been said all along, that Camaro will be a few hundred bucks more than Mustang.
Which is justified IMO, look at the package... more power, and better built, independent rear suspension, and you know Camaro will be faster. :)
yes but he problem is this, is the general public willing to pay the price? in the past they didnt and thats why the camaro went away once already. i agree nicer car better packags nicer interior but it has to stay close to the mustang in price to compete. as for a 4 cyl thats just not even funny, IMO its liek putting a 4cyl in a full size truck, LOL good for a laugh but not to drive.

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
yes but he problem is this, is the general public willing to pay the price? in the past they didnt and thats why the camaro went away once already
Not really, sales figures had little to do with why Camaro/Firebird went away.
Although that's what media outlets like Motor Trend want you to believe hehe.

Even so, they sold 72,000 F-Bodies in their last year of production, 10 years into a design and using a 25-year-old chassis.
Not exactly poor sales IMO.

The biggest two reasons why Camaro & Firebird went away:
1. Ron Zarella, former GM CEO cut or removed funding to **** near ever RWD car, including Corvette.
2. The F-chassis was ancient and because of no funding had no way to pass 2003 crash standards.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
It is.

Thanks for the clarification Octane. Also, can you clear up where they get the 260hp V6 info from? Like others have said, Peper already said a 300+hp V6 was going to be in the Camaro.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
It is.

Now this sounds a lot better a few hundred more. A few thousand more almost gave me the big one.:lol:

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
a turbo four??? Heck that little four banger really has been making some big HP..so for some it might be worth it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts