Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.cleveland.com/search/index.ssf?/base/business/1141205744140360.xml?bxbiz&coll=2

New GTO coming around the bend

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 Joshua Dowling

Special to The Plain Dealer
Geneva, Switzerland- The Pontiac GTO isn't dead after all, says a top General Motors Corp. executive, who also hinted there might be a new ultra-fast Corvette coming.

The current GTO will be phased out at the end of this year, but an all-new model is expected to return at the end of 2008 as a 2009 model, said Bob Lutz, who heads GM's global vehicle development.

In an interview at the international auto show in Geneva, Switzerland, Lutz also suggested an even more powerful version of the Corvette might be on the way.

http://ads13.udc.advance.net/RealMedia/ads/adstream_lx.ads/www.cleveland.com/xml/story/bx/bxbiz/1970594274/StoryAd/CLEVELANDLIVE/MK_PLACEADRE_CL04/PDRESTRY.html/61303831396436343434303566316330?_RM_EMPTY_& Industry insiders have talked about a "Blue Devil" Corvette that would be more powerful than the 505-horsepower Z06 that is currently the fastest Corvette.

Lutz stopped short of confirming that, saying: "There will be something special for the Corvette soon." When "Blue Devil" was mentioned, he simply smiled.

The GTO, however, is definitely on the way.

Last year, it appeared that GM had canceled any future GTOs as part of its efforts to reduce costs. And a Pontiac spokesman confirmed this year that the last GTOs would be sold this summer because the model wouldn't meet a new airbag standard taking effect in the fall. The spokesman said that the automaker would like to have another GTO but that there was nothing to announce.

But in the interview Tuesday, Lutz said the GTO plans were just off the shelf for a few months and he always wanted a new version.

The new GTO might be built in North America, particularly if the Chevrolet Camaro concept gets the go-ahead for production, he said.

Both the Pontiac GTO and Camaro could be based on GM's Zeta mechanical underpinnings, which are being developed by the company's Australian outpost, Holden, Lutz said.

With the current strength of the Australian dollar and the recent free-trade agreement between Australia and the United States, it would be more feasible to build the GTO in North America and export a version called the Holden Monaro to Australia, he said.

The GTO, which is based on the Monaro, has been built in Australia and shipped to America.

Dowling is motoring editor of the Sydney Morning Herald.

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
thats about what i thought would happen, but i'm surprised to hear that they may build the monaro in the us and ship to australia

·
Registered
18 Posts
question: wouldnt it be cheaper to build austrailian-bound gto's in australia, and our gtos here? or is importing them really that much cheaper?

·
Registered
67 Posts
the cost of 2 facilities making the same car would be too expensive, when one would suffice. Sounds good to me, but im hopin this doesn't mean that the camaro and GTO will be sister cars like the camaro and firebird. im hopin that, while based on the same basic platform, they will be like the Charger and Challenger. one as the smaller sportscar, and one as the midsize

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
sounds possible especially if the platform is as flexible as we hope..and I think the answer is down in Oz. even though the car will be built up here..

·
Registered
22 Posts
I sincerely hope that the next one is built in Oz, or if it is built in the US, that it can be built to the same standard of quality.

It's awesome to hear that the Goat may not be dead after all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
they will be like the Charger and Challenger. one as the smaller sportscar, and one as the midsize
sounds good. that way the dont directly compete in the same market against one another

·
Registered
130 Posts
WHY?

According to the article at this web site: http://www.gminsidenews.com/index.p...e_Product_Guide

the GTO scheduled for 2008 while the Camaro is set for 2009. Why is GTO ahead of the Camaro in scheduling? I haven't even seen what the next GTO looks like. I would have thought the Camaro is way ahead in design.

:confused:

·
Registered
861 Posts
Bob is the man But really do we need another stetched out grand am? Maybe I should take one out on a test drive and see why you guy's like the non retro looking goat.

·
Premium Member
11,842 Posts
Gonna be a 5th gen owner said:
Bob is the man But really do we need another stetched out grand am? Maybe I should take one out on a test drive and see why you guy's like the non retro looking goat.
Seriously, go drive a GTO, they're soooo nice.
Styling has still yet to fully grow on me, but I don't hate it.
But the quality of the car is **** impressive.

I have a feeling that the next GTO will be much better looking. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts