Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
181 Posts
Bob Lutz said:
He argues a faster solution is E-85. There are already more than 6 million flex-fuel vehicles on the road right now in the U.S. alone. Those vehicles could be running on ethanol if it were more readily available, Lutz said.
+1, my brother had a flex-fuel truck, but the closest place to get E-85 was a military base an hour away from where we live. :confused:

· Registered
637 Posts
My Tahoe is flex-fuel but there is one station in SLC that carries E85 and its the wrong way from my hose to work. Its kindof on the way to my wifes job but they have one pump and not a lot of supply, they are "out" everytime I have been to the station. Makes me wonder if the ever actually hace it or if its just a gimmick to catch people.

· Registered
601 Posts
I love that GM and the others are makeing the E85 vehicles. But they need to push the gas stations to sell it also. Stop letting the big oil tycoon companies dictate what is sold at the pump. Maybe the auto makers should build their own stations and our government should be putting the funding of these stations into the budget!
We could easily run 70-80 percent of our vehicles off of E85 or electric/alternative fuels.
Also it would bring the 91, 93 octane fuels for our high performance cars down in price because they would have to compete. GM is on the fast track to better their cars and trucks, now we need to get 100 percent backing from ALL parties involved to make the alternative fuels available.

· Premium Member
5,667 Posts
I love that GM and the others are makeing the E85 vehicles. But they need to push the gas stations to sell it also. Stop letting the big oil tycoon companies dictate what is sold at the pump. Maybe the auto makers should build their own stations and our government should be putting the funding of these stations into the budget!
We could easily run 70-80 percent of our vehicles off of E85 or electric/alternative fuels.
Also it would bring the 91, 93 octane fuels for our high performance cars down in price because they would have to compete. GM is on the fast track to better their cars and trucks, now we need to get 100 percent backing from ALL parties involved to make the alternative fuels available.

I have seen Lutz talking about trying to get the goverment to require E85 pumps at stations that have over a certain amount of pumps(large stations), but I don't think he has had much luck with it.

· Registered
10,420 Posts
Go figure, the only station here that had a e85 pump was a tiny mom and pop station.

And to think of it..if the politicians REALLY cared about the environment instead of their own political agendas, they would be pushing for e85 as well, instead of this useless CAFE horse****.

· Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Provided that other materials will be used to make ethanol, it indeed can be a big part of the future.
We need to use things like garbage and grass clippings (and other mass-produced-and-otherwise-useless items) for ethanol production.

That being said, the transportation of ethanol is still a problem, because it cannot be transported in the existing gas infrastructure (corrosion) and a vehicle must be specifically equipped for ethanol.

Biobutanol is another fuel alternative too....
I don't know what you need to make it, and I don't know if it can be made from almost anything like ethanol can, but with biobutanol, transporation of it is a non-issue because it can use existing infrastructure, and ANY existing automobile can run on it.

· Registered
601 Posts
I have seen Lutz talking about trying to get the goverment to require E85 pumps at stations that have over a certain amount of pumps(large stations), but I don't think he has had much luck with it.
I have also seen Bob Lutz try to push E85, BUT with a President that has ties to oil (and I voted for him twice) I can see why it hasn't had a major push from our government. Maybe next year our new President will make E85 a mandatory pump at the gas stations.

· Registered
10,420 Posts
I have also seen Bob Lutz try to push E85, BUT with a President that has ties to oil (and I voted for him twice) I can see why it hasn't had a major push from our government. Maybe next year our new President will make E85 a mandatory pump at the gas stations.
I doubt that. The Pres doesn't have much to do with it if Congress shoots it down constantly.

And it depends if the next Pres has a personal agenda to push along, and if either of the 2 people I am thinking of win, we'll never see E85, they'll be too busy restricting everything. :x

· Premium Member
5,667 Posts
IMO the greenies don't want E85 to work. They would rather we depend on oil so they can keep pushing there agenda to make every car electric. The success of E85 would hurt that agenda.

If we started making it from garbage(also would solve the transport problem) and it was sold for $1 a gallon, then electric and hybrids would be gone IMO. Nobody would be willing to pay the premium of a hybrid or electric with fuel prices that low. Nobody would worry about driving a tiny car, most would drive a larger safer car.

· Premium Member
5,667 Posts
I look at Brazil as a good model.

Just think what that would do to the US economy if all that money was going strait back into the USA and everyone was spending 1/3 less on fuel and we didn't have to spend more money on cars that manufacturers are losing money on anyway.

Why not encourage car companies to invest more in figuring out how to set up an infastructure and new ways to produce alternative fuels and work with them not agaist them. Help them out. They would have more money to invest if not for CAFE and we would probley have cleaner cars faster. CAFE is flawed.

There would be so much more money for people to spend. CAFE is making it harder on poor people by making the cars more expensive. Its not really helping that they have to be more efficient if the price jumps so much.

· Registered
1,054 Posts

· Registered
637 Posts
Some of these people dont understand basics. Where does the power come from for you "plug in"? The magic outlet. They are stopping devoplement of new coal power plants and not pushing for larger scale alternatives. We have enough brown outs due to AC in the summer what will millions of plug ins do every night? Electric is not as clean as they would like you to believe.
Making fuel from things that are already considered waste is the only real solution to a much bigger problem then just too many cars.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.