Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/19/lutz-volt-will-cost-40-000-first-gen-will-lose-money/

Bob Lutz revealed to the Seattle Times that the price point for his company's Chevy Volt series hybrid electric vehicle will be $40,000, or around $10,000 more than originally estimated. Lutz also told the paper that the first-generation of the Volt would generate no profit for General Motors. There's still hope for buyers who were hoping to snag a Volt closer to $30,000, as potential tax incentives on state and federal levels could trim the price substantially. Congress is currently considering proposed legislation for plug-in hybrid tax credits on the order of around $7,000. Still, there's no telling what demand there will be for the Volt, and if it's higher than the supply, we could see markups on GM's high-tech hybrid from dealers who are trying to survive this transition from a market dominated by profitable trucks and SUVs to smaller, fuel-efficient vehicles. According to Lutz, however, cars like the Volt are the way of the future, and GM's car czar expects that between 2020 and 2025 a quarter to a half of all vehicles sold will be either electric- or hydrogen-powered. We'd put our money on electric, as this country has not gotten serious yet about building a distribution network for hydrogen.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well, it don't look like there'll be a Volt in my driveway.:(. Looks like the rich win again. Don't know 'bout everyone else, but $40k's a pretty big chunk of money.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it don't look like there'll be a Volt in my driveway.:(. Looks like the rich win again. Don't know 'bout everyone else, but $40k's a pretty big chunk of money.
Well if there is a $7k Tax break, it will be around $33k.

The only problem is they are only building 10k the first year and supply could be short causing dealers to raise prices.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Think about it in terms of fuel costs. The Volt is actually priced pretty fairly. MORE fairly if the gov't actually offsets some of the cost.

Say you buy a Malibu for $25,000. And you use 7,500 dollars worth of fuel over a 5-year span (1500 a year in fuel). Add that 7500; you spend 31,500 for 5 years of ownership.

Now buy a Volt for 40k, and say you only spend 300 dollars in fuel every year for 5 years (less if you don't drive over 40 miles a day). That's a savings of 6000 over 5 years; so you'd spend the Volt's cost of owership would be about $34,000.

I don't think that a $2500 difference is a big deal. Plus this will diminish to nothing, and the Volt will actually start paying for itself in the 6th year of ownership. Considering that, like an ipod or a cell phone, this is brand new technology -- so it's going to be a on the expensive side at first. AND consider that you're using a fraction of the amount of oil/gas a normal car uses....

A $40,000 pricetag is unfortunate because at face value, it seems like it's a lot more expensive than a regular car. But I think the car is priced VERY fairly, and I'd buy one if I wasn't getting a Camaro .

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Yeah, think about cell phone batteries over the years.... I had a bag phone, where the battery was a HUGE box that you carried just to use the phone. And it didn't last near what they do now-a-days. That same leap in technology for car battery technology, and soon plug-in cars are the standard.

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Like what Dragoneye said, it's a little bit of sticker shock, but if you figure out what you'd normally spend in gas over a few years of car ownership, it's about a dead heat.

And if it does indeed get the $7,000 tax break, that puts it ahead.

Plus, don't forget this is new technology. It will get cheaper over time.

·
Registered
111 Posts
:patriot: :roxor:

If you think about it...this will be one of the only/first cars in Automotive History that the next MY will actually decrease in price.:rotflmao:

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also if gas prices conintue to rise it will be better as well.

·
Registered
375 Posts
This is true, now after I've had a little time to look at the bigger picture. Possibly after I, 1) get the Camaro paid off 3yrs(Fingers crossed), 2) get another truck an get that paid off, then #3) I think by that time I'll be ready for the Volt. Buuuuut, if gas get's really stupid, I'll move number three up to number two on the list.

Like what Dragoneye said, it's a little bit of sticker shock, but if you figure out what you'd normally spend in gas over a few years of car ownership, it's about a dead heat.

And if it does indeed get the $7,000 tax break, that puts it ahead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts