Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The UAW warned of the potential for another strike at a General Motors Corp. factory next week, threatening the automaker's fast-selling Chevrolet Malibu, as a Lansing work stoppage continues to freeze production of three popular vehicles. Those factories have been operating without local contracts for several months, which UAW officials cite as the reason for the strikes.

More...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
what are they bitching about now?

·
Registered
637 Posts
They could see that GM was actually beginning to do well. They just cant have that, what would they complain about if their job was secure?

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I'm guessing the toiletpaper in the bathrooms isn't soft enough.
They are mad because they have to use toilet paper period. They are mad because the CEOs wont lick them clean.

I worked at FAA repair station testing and inspecting rebuilt Lycoming engines and I swear they prolly have a guy that is paid ten times more doing the same with minor car parts and he/she prolly gets a truck load of benefits. I was lucky to just get a medical discount.

Im all for labor rights and all, but sometimes you can bite the hand that feeds. If your job isnt secure, ask yourself is any job all that secure. There is a cycle to this. If the industry's labor alternative is foreign, then maybe consider that its because the 12 year old in China isnt bitching. Good things dont last forever and its ones responsiblity to attempt to plan on that (investing, saving, and looking into other employment opportunities).

I wish they would get back to work, before Detroit becomes an automotive ghost town from all the outsourcing they are going to do from all the strikes to be able to continue their agenda. The deals after the strikes are just pacifiers until the next strike, this is continues on and on.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Agreed Jinx.

The quickest way GM can solve this is to go to the local Community colleges and say "Hey we got a job for you guys. Work all the hours you want. You won't get Union level pay, but we do have a comprehensive benefits package and we'll get you a discount on that new GM car you've been wanting." The Unions will either strike themselves to death or go back to work ASAP for fear of losing there jobs.

The reason I say they go to the community colleges is, according to the caption in TFA about the machinist on strike, that I know about 30 people that are taking CAD/CAM II and are fully capable of doing the stuff those Union laborers are walking away from. I guarantee a broke college kid would **** themselves for the opportunity to work at GM, go to college, get a new car, and still have money left over to pay the bills all from a "work your own hours" part time/full time job.

I'm an architectural design major and I know I'd work for GM if that was the case. What do you all think?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm with 89RS. The only benefit I have ever had is a paycheck and I better look gratefull to get it or the boss will think you have a bad attitude and replace you.

I have worked i the automotive trade which prety much is only commision or flat rate, sometimes your rolling and other times your sitting all day with no pay & no job security. Now I do architectural drafting but I learned on the job (no diploma) so I don't get the good jobs with benefits.

I did have a union job for about 3 years once but I never joined the union. Apperently the company liked my work since I was usually one of the last ones at the end of the job. Coming from automotive (a tougher life than union) I would just laugh at some of the things these people would complain about. They all got mad at me once when they were complaining about pay and I told them the job was onlly worth about $6.00 an hour. We were making about $15.00 at the time in the late 90's.

I'm all for certain rights & fair pay but who decided the unions get to run other peoples companies. I'm on the fence with unions they have some good things about them but they do seem to go too far. These people are making more money than I am and driving up the cost of the cars I already can't afford.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I'm with 89RS. The only benefit I have ever had is a paycheck and I better look gratefull to get it or the boss will think you have a bad attitude and replace you.

I have worked i the automotive trade which prety much is only commision or flat rate, sometimes your rolling and other times your sitting all day with no pay & no job security. Now I do architectural drafting but I learned on the job (no diploma) so I don't get the good jobs with benefits.

I did have a union job for about 3 years once but I never joined the union. Apperently the company liked my work since I was usually one of the last ones at the end of the job. Coming from automotive (a tougher life than union) I would just laugh at some of the things these people would complain about. They all got mad at me once when they were complaining about pay and I told them the job was onlly worth about $6.00 an hour. We were making about $15.00 at the time in the late 90's.

I'm all for certain rights & fair pay but who decided the unions get to run other peoples companies. I'm on the fence with unions they have some good things about them but they do seem to go too far. These people are making more money than I am and driving up the cost of the cars I already can't afford.
Well said. The unions were started for workers rights and fair labor practices. Now, it seems the UAW thinks they call all the shots. I wonder if any autoworker has a real clue about what most Americans get paid. If they did, they wouldn't be bitchin and moaning. Keep it up, UAW, then you all will be forced to learn Japanese so you can work for Toyota. What a bunch of short-sighted idiots.

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
HEY UAW//the U.S. is going down the crapper faster than you can say "STRIKE" get with it will you this country is falling apart we dont need these wonderful unions to make it go down faster

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
The unions are going to kill themselves on this one. Manufacturers are going to see how much easier and more profitable it is to do without unions. Hurting the company that you supply isn't going to help orders in the future.

When unions and their members get too greedy you get what we have here. IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Here something I dont like: Union membership is basically forced on to non-management employees in industries with unions. I think a law should be pasted that makes it illegal and up to the employee if they wish to be in a union. I think the companies should reward those who choose against a union and the government should make it legal for the employee to waiver the right to be in a union via a contract. This would allow the world to continue turning when the UAW starts to ***** and maybe they will learn there place.

when I was going to go into the railroad industry, I was basically told that I had to join the union and the fee would be deducted from my pay automatically. I was pissed. As a free country I think if I decided to side with the company I work for, then I should be able to say screw the union and go to work when they are on strike. Even on Class 1 railroads management that work there way up from conductor and engineer positions have to step down in the time of a strike to operate a train because the current conductors and engineers are on strike. They have to keep the transport up or the countries economy and supply would crash in no time, so this is allowed. There something I feel that wrong with just walking off the job just because there is something bugging someone. We have labor laws so they have to be followed, anyhing else is greed.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
That is something that should be brought up in negotiations. If the unions are so sure that they represent the best interests of the workers they should allow open shops.

I worked in an open shop. You could join the union if you wanted to.

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
It can be done though, GM worked a pretty sweet deal with UAW-GM.

Unfortunately this is UAW of AAM (American Axle) so GM really doesn't have much control of the situation.

Weird how 2 of GM's major suppliers - Delphi & AAM, who both used to be owned by GM - are now causing so much grief for them.

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
I think you have all good points.
I feel Unions have not changed with the way the country has changed in its workforce. Do unions have a place? Sure? Were they good for America when they needed fair labor? Sure..are they relivant now? Not the way they are doing things now no.
and thats for many unions.
And I know this is totally contradicting to what I always say but **** if they dont smarten up..sure move the product to Canada or mexico..see how they like having NO JOB..
Just wish there was and end to this "new contract" BS..every time they HAVE TO make a new one..why cant GM just say hey thats it? when your contracts run out..then its free market..I mean I could go on how I would think it would be implimented..but the other unions would strike and blah blah blah..and you would have a problem. They got Ford and GM by the tail by having a never ending contract reissued and a stike if something is wrong..
well something is wrong in this country and the unions are not helping by doing what they are doing.
This is the old guard vs. the changing world..and the old guards screwing this up bad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts