Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man nabbed doing 235 km/h tops long weekend speeders - Airdrie Echo - Alberta, CA

Man nabbed doing 235 km/h tops long weekend speeders

Saskatoon man arrested on the spot, released on bail

By James Emery/Senior Reporter

Posted 33 minutes ago

The long weekend got off to a dangerous start when police caught a Saskatchewan man driving at virtually unheard of speeds on rural highways.

Police clocked a 58-year-old Saskatoon man barreling down Highway 9 just east of Highway 21 at 235 km/h in a newer model Chevrolet Camaro SS around 2 p.m. Friday.

The driver pulled over and was arrested on the scene for dangerous operation of a motor vehicle for travelling more that twice the posted 100 km/h speed limit.

"In my 14 years of traffic law enforcement, I've never seen a speed that high on a vehicle," Airdrie RCMP Cpl. Darrin Turnbull said.

And while he's heard of motorcycles travelling that fast, he's never heard of car being clocked at that speed.

"It's incredibly dangerous," he said. "He doesn't leave himself or other (drivers) any room for error."

Turnbull said on that stretch of highway, the road is littered with several intersections and range roads, not to mention the amount of farm traffic as harvest approaches.

"He leaves himself no room or time to react to any situation that could happen," Turnbull said.

The man was released on $500 cash bail and is due in Airdrie Provincial Court on Oct. 27.

Police also nabbed three other drivers in the region for speeding at more than 50 km/h above the posted speed limit between Friday and Monday.

In total, local traffic cops dished out 210 tickets, the bulk of which (80 per cent) were for speeding infractions.

And luckily for all road users, there were no serious crashes this weekend in the region.

"Over the Labour Day weekend, there were no fatal or serious injury crashes," Turnbull said. "That's the result we're always hoping for."

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Betcha that was fun until he got busted.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Bet that little court visit won't be as much of an adrinaline rush.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The fastest I have gone was around 155 MPH before they finished the bridge on a four-lane road and there was hardly any traffic. I waited for the only cars to go by until they where down past the 1st exit so I decided to see how fast it would go
which was 155 MPH that I decided was fast enough to try. I noticed a car going the other way like it was stopped at that speed so I pulled off the exit and went home and listened to the Police scanner. Now they finished the bridge and you can't get a good 1/4 mile run because of the traffic.

·
Registered
22 Posts
u can hide from it though. ive had to run, duck and hide in many wal-mart and home depot parking lots. and can proudly say havent got caught... yet

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use the Uniden Home Patrol Scanner to track the state and local police or anything else you may want to hear what is going on like emergency vehicles. You can put the zip code of the area you are in or use their tracking device that sets the scanner to the area.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Almost got to the 155 limiter lol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
"u can hide from it though. ive had to run, duck and hide in many wal-mart and home depot parking lots. and can proudly say havent got caught."

of course that was when i was younger and dumber just thought i might add.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts